• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fullrange Madness (Part 3 w/pics)

ejfud

Audio Pinhead
Number 3 of fullrange driver builds is a design for the "new" Jordan 92's. The design is based on the measured parameters of the latest batch of these drivers. The manufacturers are slightly different.

With much help from Gio, I've gone with a simple bass reflex design of 1 cubic foot, tuned to 40hz. Heres the graph courtesy of Gio.
jx92s-1ft-br-40hz.png


Heres a picture of the cabinets showing the internal bracing.
Jordans1.jpg


Here's a shot of the baffles. 1" thick baltic birch plywood. Driver opening chamfered for sound clearance. There will be another piece attached to the baffle as an accent piece at a latter time.
Baffles.jpg


Next we have the cabinet with the baffle glued in place. With the baffle in place, these cabinets are very dead.
Front-1.jpg


Finally is the back without the rear baffle. It sits inside and will be screwed to the cleats on the inside allowing for port tweaking as necessary.
Back.jpg


I'll line the cabinets with a thick felt or carpet pad and give them a whirl.

The cabinets will be veneered in curly maple with the baffle overlay probably being a walnut.

Trying to get these roughly done to bring to th local get together next weekend.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Wow Gary, you've outdone yourself! Those things are really professional!

Can't wait to hear them! :yes:
 
That's some nice work you've done there.

I had these cabinets and used them for the JX92S for fun. Mine try to act as a TL and it shows when I measured them. I really liked them with a passive radiator in a different cabinet too (not shown) because it helped to eliminate the box sound. I'm going to see if I can find a good pair of PRs.
 
Last edited:
Wow! Really nice!

"New Jordan 92's"... is that the same Jordan that made the little 2" "Jordan Modules" back in the '80's?
 
Great stuff Gary. I can't wait to hear your impressions. Right now mine are in a 0.25 ft^3 sealed + sub. This is a very nice driver. The metal cone makes for a different sound since I am used to paper. Most who hear it at my place prefer it over Fostex drivers. I am undecided.

Here are the T/S parameters for the Jordan JX92S fullrange driver that we used for the sim. The sim was done using WinISD.
 
Boy I wish I had a woodworking workshop with all the tools and skills that go along with it. I would be cranking stuff like that out all the time. They look great. I would also make some cabinets for my Fishers.
 
With the big Midwest shindig this weekend. I've been busting to get these done. A few progress pictures for you viewing pleasure.

This is a picture of the back baffle. Nice PE binding posts and plates. I'm fairly convinced I got carried away with the screws for the back.
FordanBindingPosts.jpg


Next we have the baffles veneered in curly maple waiting gor my baffle treatment. You can see my favorite hook-up wire as well. A nice thick magnet wire that I think sounds great with these fullrange drivers.
JordanMapleBaffles.jpg


And lastly the baffle treatment. A thin board veneered in walnut. It sits flush with the drivers. The port hole is down towards the bottom about eight inches up. I'll cut that out once the walnut piece is glued to the baffle.
JordanwithWalnutBaffle.jpg
 
Man, are those looking good! You have been a very busy beaver haven't you.

Did those MDF samples work their way in there? I stopped by the house the other day to drop them off but you were out. I spoke with your wife for a little bit and she told me that I could have anything I wanted for $25. I grabbed the Allmaro. Hope you didn't mind.

RC
 
DUDE !

those cabinets are SWEEEEET . . I hope when I FINALLY get around to doign some BIB's they look as good as your boxes :yes:

I do love me some good fullrange driver madness :nutz:
 
Great work with the veneer and walnut, Gary! Those look really professional, and I can't imagine they'll disappoint!
 
The port hole is down towards the bottom about eight inches up. I'll cut that out once the walnut piece is glued to the baffle.
Gary, I don't know bupkus here, but could the port go out the back? Seems a shame to poke a hole in that nice frontside.
 
Rear porting might give you less flexability in regard to placement. Then again rear porting might give to the ability to further tune the bass because of the same.

Either that or I'm speaking nonsense.

RC
 
To late to move the port now. There is a hole in the main baffle already hiding behind the walnut. Just needs to be trimmed out. I think it will add a little symmetry to the front.

Glued both walnut pieces on. The drivers are ready to mount. Line the cabinet and I'll be ready for a listen.

Thanks for all the kind words, these have been a battle, but I'm really liking what I'm seeing now.
 
Back
Top Bottom