• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Another speaker ID request

jimbofish

for TRULY GREAT MUSIC
Does anyone recognize these speakers?

They are 9" x 9" x 35", walnut veneer, top driver is 5", lower is 4", cloth surrounds, square magnets with no markings, port opens to bottom.
 

Attachments

  • mysteryspeakers1.JPG
    mysteryspeakers1.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 203
  • mysteryspeakers2.JPG
    mysteryspeakers2.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 77
  • mysteryspeakers3.JPG
    mysteryspeakers3.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 119
Register to hide this ad
The mids and tweeters are CTS units and the woofers aiming out the bottom likely are as well. Square ceramic magnet structures were a common feature on CTS drivers. Those mids are similar to the drivers used in the original Bose 901 speakers (minus the plastic cannisters glued to the back for midrange duty) except that I think Bose used similar units manufactured by Rola.
 
According to the seller, there is no down-firing woofer. They have a lot of speakers and drivers for sale and seem somewhat knowledgeable... so I have no reason to think they're wrong.

I came across these for sale and they are close enough for a local pickup, but not for inspection.
 
Wow, if they don't have a woofer somewhere in the cabinet firing out the bottom I wouldn't give them a second thought. Those 4.5" CTS drive units don't go very low unless electronically equalized like on Bose 901's and when driven full range have limited volume potential before serious distortion (and IM artifacts) sets in. Even if they had a driver complement in each face I still wouldn't bite. With a true woofer in each face, like those in EPI models starting with the M50, I'd be interested but those CTS drivers just don't cut it as I own some I play with all the time and would never base a speaker around them.
 
Those aren't MT-3. I had a pair, and if memory serves, they were 12" square (edit: the website confirms this). They did use the same woofer drivers (four) and two air-spring tweeters (on opposing sides). I was amazed at the bass reproduced by those little woofers in that cabinet.

Not sure what you have there, but they prolly don't suck.
 
From what I've read, these don't fit any of the EPI microtower specs either size-wise or driver compliment. They do appear to be remarkably similar physically, but the base doesn't look right. Possibly they are a DIY version or built from a speaker design project.
 
Good grief, those are awfully nice cabinets. Could those CTS drivers be replacements for the originals? Who knows.? Could be a DIY home kit from the past....CTS drivers were used back in the early 70's in the Los Angeles area for many indepentent house brands. Could that "port in the bottom of the cabinet actually house a woofer?......????
 
those CTS drivers just don't cut it as I own some I play with all the time and would never base a speaker around them.

IMO, there are some reputable manufacturers that used CTS drivers with very good results. Three that I currently have are Avid, older Fisher XP, and HH Scott. Engineered and designed properly.:yes:
 
whatever they were someone (was it you jimbo?) got them for $25 off eBay. I had them on my watch and was going to bid but the auction ended past my bedtime - old man that I am
 
No, it wasn't me. I was watching it all along, then we went out Sat. and didn't get home till too late. I'm guessing that someone local got them... $85, with $60 shipping, was a lot for an unknown speaker. I would have picked them up though for $25.

Hopefully they are an AKer... I'd really like to know what they were.
 
IMO, there are some reputable manufacturers that used CTS drivers with very good results. Three that I currently have are Avid, older Fisher XP, and HH Scott. Engineered and designed properly.:yes:

I agree, my Marantz imperial 9's are very good sounding and house all CTS drivers.
 
Back
Top Bottom