• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Might have a score. What are they?

klama2006

Super Member
25$ on ebay, 60$ to ship.

Have no idea what they are, but the cabinets are simply awesome. The construction is amazing. There much larger than I was anticipating.

I've bought allot of stuff online, and the seller of these. Is the best packager of equipment, I have ever run across. The way these things were packed, they would have survived anything.

So what are they?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
About 10 minutes Before I bid on this item..... I saw an audiokarma link from google that I thought might be related. But at the time of the auction, I was unable to open the link when I clicked on it. I got a weird message that said I was not allowed to view the forum.

After I won the auction, I tried once again to connect to the link, through a VPN from an out of country lan, and was still was unable to view the thread. I thought I got banned or something.

I received these today, and searched once again for the thread I thought might be related, but was not able to find it. Looking back, I think audiokarma had a problem a few days ago, and might have been down, and possibly lost information. a few days ago, I was able to locate a few posts though Google, but can not find them today, either on this site, or on Google.
 
I'm thinking linaeum? :scratch2:


I placed a last second bid, and was the only person to bid on them.

These things are pretty old. let me take another pick. here is a pick of the speaker termination.

Luckily, I had a spare set of banana adapters handy.


I'm pretty sure this is not a Diy Cabinent, For lack of better terms, its has a commercialized feel to it. The grills are a molded plastic, with a cloth covering. And they actually fit withing a 1/8 inch slot that is carved into the cabinet. I haven't pulled the drivers yet, but once I do, I'll post what I find.
 
Last edited:
I think the thread you were refering to showed a cabinet such as in your picture. Two drivers, a mid-bass and tweeter, both ID'ed as CTS. Nobody could figure out if there was a down-firing woofer. Nice cabinets though.
 
I think the thread you were refering to showed a cabinet such as in your picture. Two drivers, a mid-bass and tweeter, both ID'ed as CTS. Nobody could figure out if there was a down-firing woofer. Nice cabinets though.

That's the one.
 
Does it still exist? I cant find it. In the ebay auction, someone asked the seller if they were "EPI Micro Tower 3". Minutes before I purchased the item, I remember searching for this in google, and ran across a recent audiokarma post that I was unable to access.

I have searched again for this post, but can't find it.
 
So... you're the one who got these!

25$ on ebay, 60$ to ship.

Have no idea what they are, but the cabinets are simply awesome. The construction is amazing. There much larger than I was anticipating.

I've bought allot of stuff online, and the seller of these. Is the best packager of equipment, I have ever run across. The way these things were packed, they would have survived anything.

So what are they?



I was hoping an AKer got these. Now that you have them, you have help solve the mystery as to what they are. :yes: I was going to bid on them and do a local pickup to avoid the shipping., but then missed the end of the sale.

This is the previous thread on these speakers...

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=201599

Those banana jacks look like add-on adapters.

Just saw this message in another thread...

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2386098&postcount=102

and thinking, maybe, since they came from Lansing, they might be them.:scratch2:
 
Does it still exist? I cant find it. In the ebay auction, someone asked the seller if they were "EPI Micro Tower 3". Minutes before I purchased the item, I remember searching for this in google, and ran across a recent audiokarma post that I was unable to access.

I have searched again for this post, but can't find it.
CTS drivers and EPI I dont believe go hand in hand...
 
I have a set of EPI Microtowers. Mine have that same exact Bose looking driver. No down firing woofer. Mine is not a two way, as in no tweeter, but uses two full range rivers. Sound pretty darn good too, for what they are...

My guess is those are a set if the bigger Micro towers withe either the tweeters replaced, or a very early set:scratch2:
 
I have a set of EPI Microtowers. Mine have that same exact Bose looking driver. No down firing woofer. Mine is not a two way, as in no tweeter, but uses two full range rivers. Sound pretty darn good too, for what they are...

My guess is those are a set if the bigger Micro towers withe either the tweeters replaced, or a very early set:scratch2:

These do not have a down firing woofer either.

The woofers do look like a early bose driver, but have a foam surround. The seller must have covered them with some gooey purple substance. They feel like there about to go, and the only thing holding them together is the purple goo.

I'm also surprised at how efficient they are.... Prior to connecting these up, I was running a 4 1/2 fostex driver speaker... I'll have to test it again, but these seemed to be just as loud at the same volume. I really was not expecting that.
 
Pull the drivers, lets have a look :thmbsp:


Pic #1 is the tweeter.
Pic #2 is the woofer.

Pics 3-5 were taken through the little 1/2" slot in the bottom of the speaker cabinet port/vent. It was hard to capture a qaulity image.

Pic #3 is the fuse reset switch.
Pic#4 is the back of the fuse.
Pic #5 is the crossover.

I also emailed the person who runs this below website. I'm thinking these speakers might be a step in between the MT 2's, and the MT 3's. You can also see there photos in the provided link.

http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epi-mt-group.htm

I hope that I'm getting close, in figuring out what these are.




Edit , also note that the Port on the bottom of the speaker is quite large, I would guess about 6 inches, it is covered with a metal screen, and the cabinets are stuffed with a yellow colored stuffing.
 
Last edited:
I'm wondering if any of this looks familiar to owners of vintage EPI equipment, or is this most likely a knockoff?

Also note: When I pulled the drivers, everything looked original, all holes matched, and I could not see any residue, or signs of things being switched out.

The cabinets are also very high qaulity, they are precision made. The grills are a formed plastic, with cloth covering. Here is a pick of the grills, they slide behind the cabinet, and fit precisely in a 1/8 grove mitered into the cabinet. I'm posting all this detail, to help give leads into determining what these might be.
 
Last edited:
This is my suspicion, although the design similarities are remarkable. That also happens to the exact same woofer (right down to the 5001 model #) that came in my MT3.

But dude, how the feck do they sound?

Pretty fecking good,

The rubber surrounds in the woofers, are obviously deteriorated, and are only now saved by some unknown substance. The foam is covered in some sort of purple goo. As a result, they are unable to handle loud volumes, and some frequencies.

Over all I like them very much. fidelity wise, I think there beter than my time windows, both speakers are using a similar concept.



If I understand your post correctly, your saying you think these are not epicures, right?
 
The rubber surrounds in the woofers, are obviously deteriorated, and are only now saved by some unknown substance. The foam is covered in some sort of purple goo.
Are you certain that's not a doped-cloth surround? That's what mine are.

As a result, they are unable to handle loud volumes, and some frequencies.
That may well just be a product of using 4-1/2" woofers.

If I understand your post correctly, your saying you think these are not epicures, right?
Correct, but don't take that as gospel.

Glad you like them. :thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom