• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Might have a score. What are they?

Upon a second look, they very well could be a doped-cloth surround.

I just investigated them with a strong flashlight, and was unable to tell.
I then finger poked at them pretty roughly, expecting to to tear them, but the surrounds proved to be tougher than I thought.

I now thing that maybe they are a cloth surround. I'll have to look again under day light.




Quick question, what do people use to dope there surrounds, I have a pair of Ar's with surrounds that look like linen, You could easily see every fiber in the cloth.
 
FWIW, I used some aleene's tacky glue to redope
some KLH 20 cloth surrounds
and it turned purple over the original black
surround dope.
But it was just a thin layer to seal them,
not really goopy or messy.
Worked fine though.

Good luck with your speakers........
 
Hmmm. Is there anything in the cabinet besides fiberglass... like baffles?

What is that black piece on the top made of? The bottom looks like particle board, yes?
 
FWIW, I used some aleene's tacky glue to redope
some KLH 20 cloth surrounds

I have read this several time here on this site. I would NOT do this. Aleene's dries to hard IMHO. I like the automotive gasket maker ideas better. But before doing anything make sure they are not fine as is. Adding to them can only change things, and not always for the better. In a vented enclosure like that I would leave then unless falling apart and then you need to replace them anyway.

Did EPI EVER use a paper cone tweeter?
 
I have read this several time here on this site. I would NOT do this. Aleene's dries to hard IMHO. I like the automotive gasket maker ideas better. But before doing anything make sure they are not fine as is. Adding to them can only change things, and not always for the better. In a vented enclosure like that I would leave then unless falling apart and then you need to replace them anyway.
I regretfully have to agree with Kelly on this. :D

Did EPI EVER use a paper cone tweeter?
Can't recall ever seeing one. But then, there's a lot I can't recall...
 
I'm wondering if any of this looks familiar to owners of vintage EPI equipment, or is this most likely a knockoff?

Also note: When I pulled the drivers, everything looked original, all holes matched, and I could not see any residue, or signs of things being switched out.

The cabinets are also very high qaulity, they are precision made. The grills are a formed plastic, with cloth covering. Here is a pick of the grills, they slide behind the cabinet, and fit precisely in a 1/8 grove mitered into the cabinet. I'm posting all this detail, to help give leads into determining what these might be.

My local SA has a set of mid-size traditional-style speakers with grilles exactly like those in style and construction. The woofers appear to be 6" or so, with a doped-cloth surround. They're three-ways, but with the grilles stapled down I couldn't get a very good look at the mids and tweets. Cabinets are well-made, but particle board with vinyl veneer. Connections look like the old Realistic Nova series speakers, with an RCA terminal between two screw posts. Only markings are a faint "8 ohm" stamp near the terminals. I wonder if they're from the same manufacturer?

Even though the vinyl veneer looks like crap and one grille is pretty busted up, I've been thinking about picking them up at $5 each.
 
I suspect they were are part of a "system"? Maybe Sylvania or something? I would say that if they were/are EPI, it would say so somewhere and on the drivers?
 
Hmmm. Is there anything in the cabinet besides fiberglass... like baffles?

What is that black piece on the top made of? The bottom looks like particle board, yes?

I believe its plywood, for both the top and bottom. If you look at it closely, you can see that it has 7 layers.
 
Back
Top Bottom