• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage Kenwood TK Power Amp

Wolverine

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I picked one of these up recently and am wondering if any one has any info on it. Apparently a 2-channel with 25wpc and dates from the late 60's. Any other info would be appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
Updated pics.....

Came home today and it was sitting all boxed up on the porch....

Gave it a quick clean up to remove the dust and hooked it up to some Minimus 7's just to give a quick run through. Very musical little amp and built like a tank. Very comparable to my Sansui AU-505 but build quality is better. Selector switches use ball bearings and all of the other control knobs are metal unlike the Sansui.The power light lens fell out at some point but I found it while cleaning. Can't seem to get it back in place so I will probably get a stick on one and use it instead. Here are some pics pre-cleaning.
 
Last edited:
Looks exactly like the power amp guts from a Kenwood KR-77 (TK-88?) receiver.

DH

Thanks-I will start there for some info.

I am just surprised there just not seem to be anything out there on this amp.
I did play it for awhile and seemed to get pretty warm. After a bit one of the channels started to work intermittently on the B speakers. I switched it to the A speakers and it runs fine. Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? Should it be running fairly warm after only about an hour +?
 
I've got a similar vintage TK-60U receiver that looks so familiar on the inside to your, but with a full brushed aluminum faceplate. Like you, I cannot seem to find much out there about it. Built like a tank, as you say.
 
TK-250U vs. Sansui AU-505

Well I got the Kenwood up and running today. Hooked it up to a pair of Optimus 5's that I was running with a Sansui AU-505. The TK just is fantastic with these speakers. Really brings out the bass and with clear highs-great with classical music. The Sansui is still staying and is a nice piece but I will need to find something else to run it with.

BTW-I did find out that the TK-250U is the same as a KA-2500. I downloaded a copy of the schematics and they are the same for both units. I'd be interested if anyone has info on the KA-2500 that they can share. I'd still like to pin down the wpc. Also this unit as mentioned seems to run hot. i suspect that is normal given the number/placement of vents but I wonder if KA owners experience the same thing when running their units.
 
Specs....

You hear a the occasional E-Bay horror story on AK from time to time but i am reviving this thread today to go the other direction.

I got home today and found an envelope from the seller of this Kenwood amp. I opened it up and was happy to find the seller had sent me the original owner's manual that they had come across after sending me the gear. Many sellers after getting their money and with no promise that the owner's manual was included would probably have tossed it and no one would be the wiser. Class move by the seller IMO.

BTW here are some specs per the owner's manual;

Total Music Power: 50 W (IHF Standard 8 Ohms
Continuous Power: 20 W (0.8% T.H.D.)
IM Distortion: 0.5% (up to 25 watts/channel RMS)
Frequency Response 20Hz-50,000 Hz
Power Bandwith: 18 Hz-60,000 Hz
Speaker Impedance: 4,8 or 16 ohms
 
Back
Top Bottom