• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer PL-530 tonearm will not return 100%

db297

Active Member
The tonearm only returns about 99% back to it's resting place after an album ends. It needs to go another 1/8 of an inch or so. Anybody know how I can fix this?

Thanks,
db
 
Register to hide this ad
I found a thread about this, and found the remnants of a piece of foam on the arm that pushes the tonearm peg back to rest - now reduced to a light film of pinkish-colored goo. I neglected to photograph the "before" image, but here's how to fix this:

I had the bottom off, and the TT set up between the bench and a chair w/woodblock so I could have it operate and watch it.

Start the unit, so the automatic mechanism is at 1/2 revolution (if you want easier access from the Rt side as I did), then unplug. In the photo below you can see the little arm in question, and the new piece of (blue) foam:

114-1475_IMG.jpg


With the TT "on" (unplugged) you can easily flip the arm to the left, which made it easier to clean - I used laquer thinner and a Q-tip to remove the sticky mess. The foam, I found at a surplus store. It measures exactly 0.25". Here's the arm flipped w/new foam:

114-1476_IMG.jpg


***Don't forget to flip the arm back where it was before restoring power, otherwise it will jam - easy to fix, but easier to avoid***

and here's the extra piece - I couldn't resist a small glimpse of my new precision machine:

114-1477_IMG.jpg


Hope this helps, it worked wonders for me!
Cheers, Gavin
 
I've got the same problem with my Pl-500x so as soon as I can drag it out of the system I'll see if the same fix can be applied. Thanks. :thmbsp:
 
Hey Gavin - I finally got around to working on mine today. I found some "Rubber Weatherseal" in the garage. I cut it to fit. The "sticky" stuff was so old, I put some "Weldbond" on it too. Guess what?? The sucker works just like it's suppose to!!!!!!

Super cool! Thanks much man!!
db
 
Yesterday I got a PL-530. It is working but had two minor issues. One was the one described in this thread. Thank you so much for making it so easy for me finding the actual problem. :thmbsp: I fixed that easily because of 27HotRodGuy's eminent instructions.

The other issue I had was that when playing 45s the pitch was a tad too high, even when the adjustment was in bottom, that is the knob far left. I found a thread about that too. Just opened the bottom lid and found two plastic trim pots. Set the adjustment knobs to Center and adjusted the plastic trim pot underneath with a small screw driver. Made a fine tuning on the 33 as well when I was on it.

Though the player look decent and the "plastic wood" does not have any major flaws except for one tiny jack, I'm going to re-veneer it. The biggest problem now is if I am going to use Brazilian Rosewood or Honduran Mahogany veneer. :scratch2:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom