• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Who wants to be in my new band?

x_25

Big Vandies!! Mwahahah...
OK guys. There is something I have been wanting to do. And that is a band over the internet. Not quite sure how it will work yet, we will have to do some figuring out. But I am thinking someone starts, writes a part and records it. Sends it to the next person, they add the part for their instrument and we send it around like that. Then, when it gets back to the first person. They can revise their part to fit a bit better with the others, send it around once more and then we call it finished? Maybe?

If I can get this started we would start with a cover of something simple that everyone knows to get the feel for the idea, then start trying to write.

What do you guys think?

List of people in/trying out for the band.

x_25 will be trying out on drums.
AdamAnt316 will be trying out on keyboard.
Acoustic will be trying out on rhythm guitar.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Oh, by the way, I will be playing the drums (to the best of my ability. I am not that good yet.)

Sadly, I don't have a kit at home so I will be playing my electronic set and then every once in a while bring my real kit home and taking over the garage for the weekend to lay down the tracks again with a real kit.
 
Last edited:
This is what I'll be bringing to the "table":

keyboardarsenal.jpg


I might also do some singing, if need be. Haven't done much playing with other people (my "backing band" is usually either the Optigan or one of the Casios), but this oughta be fun! :thmbsp:
-Adam

EDIT: Oops, forgot to give a link to the music I've self-recorded thus far: Dr. Optigan
 
Last edited:
I'd love to participate but I have no clue how to record my guitar and add the track. I would want to record the sound of the amp, not just go direct into my computer.
 
I've been thinking about something like that for a while. I think it would be a hoot. However, I'm a drummer. :D
 
I'd love to participate but I have no clue how to record my guitar and add the track. I would want to record the sound of the amp, not just go direct into my computer.

You are halfway there with a computer. You can use a free program called Audacity and get a decent mic to record with (every musician should have one IMHO, just to get ideas down.) I have a karaoke mic that I got from Circuit City for $30 that sounds fantastic. :yes:

I used an Audio Technica ATR 20 with my laptops internal card to make this recording of my friends band. It was the first recording I have ever done. :yes:

http://www.myspace.com/deathhammernj

P.S. I really need to dig up the master tracks, do some EQ and mixing on that recording.
 
Last edited:
I've been thinking about something like that for a while. I think it would be a hoot. However, I'm a drummer. :D

Do you play any hand drums? I am sure we could come of with a few songs that use those. I only play a drum kit so far.
 
God of Rock, thank you for this chance to kick ass. We are your humble servants. Please give us the power to blow people's minds with our high voltage rock. In your name we pray. Amen:D
 
God of Rock, thank you for this chance to kick ass. We are your humble servants. Please give us the power to blow people's minds with our high voltage rock. In your name we pray. Amen:D

I sure ain't nothing of that sort. This is more of an opportunity to "play" and "jam out" with other musicians. I am trying to expand my drumming as I have been playing with the same couple of guys for the entire 2 years I have been playing the drums.
 
I sure ain't nothing of that sort. This is more of an opportunity to "play" and "jam out" with other musicians. I am trying to expand my drumming as I have been playing with the same couple of guys for the entire 2 years I have been playing the drums.

It's a quote from the movie School Of Rock. Don't take it wrong, just having fun.
 
I would like to contribute rhythm guitar. Acoustic or electric. I did some session work way back in the 70's. I play around with 4 track cassette to work out songs with a drum machine and whatever I can come up with on the guitars and vocals. Though the recording method sounds challenging... that would be the largest hurdle I see here.

2660199240_172ede2e6f.jpg
 
I would like to contribute rhythm guitar. Acoustic or electric. I did some session work way back in the 70's. I play around with 4 track cassette to work out songs with a drum machine and whatever I can come up with on the guitars and vocals. Though the recording method sounds challenging... that would be the largest hurdle I see here.

Might be a bit hard to work with getting everyone in tune and on time with each other. Like I said, not sure how it will work out but we won't know until we try. Recording to the computer is rather easy though. You could even record to the 4 track first then transfer that over to the computer once you are satisfied with it. :yes:

I will add you to the list.
 
You guys can add me to the list as an audio/mastering engineer...I have Logic Pro 8, and am willing to mix/master this stuff for ya.
 
You guys can add me to the list as an audio/mastering engineer...I have Logic Pro 8, and am willing to mix/master this stuff for ya.

We will see. The other reason I was starting this was to get some practice at mixing/mastering. But if I end up not being able to do it reasonably I will let you know. :thmbsp:
 
Might be a bit hard to work with getting everyone in tune and on time with each other. Like I said, not sure how it will work out but we won't know until we try. Recording to the computer is rather easy though. You could even record to the 4 track first then transfer that over to the computer once you are satisfied with it. :yes:

I will add you to the list.

Thanks. I thinks if we start with something like a metronome or drum machine on a track that can be dumped in the end, that would give us a reference time then with something that is def in tune, like a keyboard part (to keep or just a phantom for tuning, again dumped at the end)... the guitars and bass can tune to it as needed. Any thoughts on the song or style you want to start with?
 
OK, I have some half decent mics we use for our cheap PA. I think it's a Yamaha system, the mics probably came with it. They've got XLR connectors. I have audacity already, I've screwed around with it just a bit. What do I need to do to feed the mic signal into the mini jack on my Macbook? I guess I'd take whatever music was sent to me, load it on my iPod, and play it over the PA while I play along with my guitar. If you can coach me, I'm in.
 
You need a mic preamp. Most macbook I have seen have line inputs, not mic inputs. Run a line out from your mixer into the macbook, instead of using the macbook as a mic pre.
 
OK, I'll see if I'm able to run a line out from the mixer just for the guitar channel while still playing the iPod through another channel. I think I should be able to figure something out. Unfortunately my amps like to be played LOUD to develop good tone.
 
OK, I'll see if I'm able to run a line out from the mixer just for the guitar channel while still playing the iPod through another channel. I think I should be able to figure something out. Unfortunately my amps like to be played LOUD to develop good tone.

If the mixer has insert jacks on the channel strips, obtain your output from that. That will be an isolated feed.

or send the channel to an aux/effect output.

Then, mic the guitar amp as you would for recording and have a go.
 
Back
Top Bottom