• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Who wants to be in my new band?

God of Rock, thank you for this chance to kick ass. We are your humble servants. Please give us the power to blow people's minds with our high voltage rock. In your name we pray. Amen:D

Oh thankyou School of Rock....................!!!
Very appropriate I think.........
 
Im a guitarist, count me in, I also have Pro-Tools.
If everyone plays to a click track (at the same tempo!!), you could send me all the individual tracks and I could put them all in a session and mix it for you as well as putting some interesting and inventive guitar playing down.
Ive got a pair of AKG C414 EB,s I record with so Im all dialed up ready to go.

Otherwise I can roll with it whatever way you want to do it, I think it could be interesting............................

Nice idea..........
 
@Acoustic. A click track will probably work. I was thinking we could sned around a track of a tuned guitar that we could all referance to. We will have to figut it out.

@ JonL: If your PA has stereo out (two output busses) you can run that into the line in. Most line ins are stereo so you could pan the guitar hard left and the iPod hard right and record both. This would let whoever is next match up the guitar part with the rest because it will end up a bit off due to delays in the recording setup. I will walk you through it when we get there. It isn't hard.

@kevzep: I will let you know.
 
This is what I'll be bringing to the "table":

keyboardarsenal.jpg


I might also do some singing, if need be. Haven't done much playing with other people (my "backing band" is usually either the Optigan or one of the Casios), but this oughta be fun! :thmbsp:
-Adam

EDIT: Oops, forgot to give a link to the music I've self-recorded thus far: Dr. Optigan

Farfisa Death Boogie :smoke:

My mother still has the same radio/8 track player in white also.

Nothing like a red combo compact & a PBR!!!
 
I've been doing this kind of thing for a while now, with folks all around the US. Yes, it's easiest to start with either a finished drum track or a drum machine, and make sure everybody is using the same reference for tuning. Make sure there's a count-off section before the song starts, and it doesn't hurt to have a reference tone for tuning. Just as important is to make sure that all the guitars have the intonation properly adjusted, there's no help for that after the fact unless somebody has an expensive version of Melodyne, and it's still not easy or always possible.

File format has to be agreed upon...if you have a group of diverse experience levels and different programs, try to find the common denominator- probably WAV 16/44.1, I'd imagine that everyone has a way to record in that format. You don't really want to keep converting from WAV to MP3 and back, or between MAC and PC formats. Even if cassette is all you have, that could be mailed to someone & digitized later. One of the biggest hurdles you'll run into doing this is the differing levels of experience with this process, I can see it already. For instance, if someone knows how to play guitar, but doesn't know much about the recording process, it'd be helpful to make a reference mix for them that had the band on the left channel and a scratch guitar track on the right, so they could learn the part & then mute the old guitar part & play along with the rest of the band. They'd then only have to upload the new part, and that could be mixed in later.

One helpful thing has been to have a shared off-site storage account so that files can easily be shared- we use Dropbox, and they have free accounts available. That also makes it easy for multiple mixes to be done- anybody that wants to take a swing at it can have access to all the different files via the shared account.

Little things like file names (and file management) become really important, to- it's best to set a guideline so that everybody has a clue what is in each file, and which one is the newest/best take. It's also very helpful to have everyone understand how to only upload files that are the same length as the entire song, so that they automatically line up in time...of course, in my experience it's next to impossible to get people to do that consistently.

I recently finished one bunch of songs that have a drummer from VA, singer from NY, singer & guitarist from FL, singer & guitarist from VA, singer & guitarist from CA, and me on guitar in VA. It's an interesting process.

I'll help or contribute any way that I can, in fact I was thinking of doing something like this on a Dan Baird song that I'd re-written a bit to be a sort of "Ballad Of AK". Actually, a very good song to try this out on would be the Dan Baird/Georgia Satellites song "Keep Your Hands To Yourself", it's an easy and fun song to play, and usually the one I'd call if non-band members were called up on stage to sit in on a quick song. I've got ProTools here, and electric guitars, acoustic guitars, basses, keyboards, drums, percussion, whatever.

je
 
I guess you'll be needing a Roadie...............

Thats the only thing I can offer.

Cheers, Timo.
 
I'm a bass player and would love to jam in as well. I have a studio so recording's no problem here. I use windows with my Aardvark Q10 and Adobe Audition (the old Cool Edit software). I use a 1970 Gibson EB-3 and a 1974 BC Rich Eagle through old Traynor tube amps.
 
I ain't no singer by my wife is the lead singer in our blues band and she also blows a wicked "harp". She would kill me if I didn't include her as well.
 
Jeez... I forgot about my girlfriend who is also an awesome singer. No longer a pro, but she did the cruise ship circuit for many years, club dates, and was the house opener at Dangerfield's in NYC for several years. Not trying to step on Bob's wife's toes here... Lanie (my GF) would be thrilled to sing harmonies, trade leads, whatever.
 
OK, so that's an interesting option, too. I have recent recordings of "Stormy Monday" and "Georgia" which could probably have the vox/guitar/bass/drums/horns used as guides for parts to be replaced until AKers are playing every part. They've got room for guitar/harp/horn solos all over them, and lots of expressive female singing. Let me know if you want me to pursue that as a sideline to X-25's original idea (which I think was pointing towards eventually composing new tunes together).

Plus, with female singers, Simi could fulfill his dream to become a virtual groupie.

je
 
What a co-incidence, we just started to work on Stormy Monday last week in our blues band so that sounds good to me. I wouldn't mind getting it anyway, whose version is it?
 
Fred, maybe you could guide us through a song or two since you seem to have experiance with this. We will see what happens.

I have a lot of responces to a lot of your posts but doing long posts and multi quotes on a cell phone is not my idea of fun. I will respond to all you guys when I can get to a computer this evening.

This thing is realy taking off.
 
What a co-incidence, we just started to work on Stormy Monday last week in our blues band so that sounds good to me. I wouldn't mind getting it anyway, whose version is it?

A local band I've been running sound for:

www.everydaypeopleonline.net

I always bring at least a stereo cassette deck to record the shows, but occasionally I bring an 8-track or even two, so I've got at least two shows where I can isolate instruments to make it easy for folks to learn & then play along. I'll post up a quick mix of one from 7/4/09, and if you all think the tempo is good enough, we can build up to replacing all the players with AK members.

Here's a couple other tunes from that show, you'll get an idea:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1727556/HoldOn100304aL3.mp3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1727556/RESPECT100309hL3.mp3

je
 
Last edited:
A local band I've been running sound for:

www.everydaypeopleonline.net

I always bring at least a stereo cassette deck to record the shows, but occasionally I bring an 8-track or even two, so I've got at least two shows where I can isolate instruments to make it easy for folks to learn & then play along. I'll post up a quick mix of one from 7/4/09, and if you all think the tempo is good enough, we can build up to replacing all the players with AK members.

je

Here, try this...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1727556/StormyMonday100318fL3.mp3

je
 
Back
Top Bottom