• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yama-amps. Big n' heavy.

Jonesy09

Super Member
I've always liked the look of Yamaha stuff and I've really enjoyed my CR-620 in the kitchen system. After reading all about their amp performance I've acquired a couple to bi-amp a pair of older Infinitys. There is a M-60 running the woofers and an M-4 on the top end. I was really impressed with the weight of both units. Especially the M-4. While the M-60 reportedly has more juice the 4 is just as heavy.

They both sport some nice build quality. The only dissappointing thing is the speaker wire connectors on the M-4. While the 12ga wire I'm using fits I'd prefer some nice binders. Anyone ever swap those out? I'm a little dangerous weilding tools around electronics but the initial inspection reveals that it might not be that difficult.

The M-60 has already had new posts installed, as well as some gold RCA's. It might be nice to have the same on the M-4.
 

Attachments

  • Yama-amps 001.jpg
    Yama-amps 001.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 216
  • Yama-amps 003.jpg
    Yama-amps 003.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 154
  • Yama-amps 008.jpg
    Yama-amps 008.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Just out of curiosity, do you keep them stacked, or was that just for the pictures? Have you had a problem with heat buildup?
 
The M-4 just came in today. They've been stacked playing for about 2 hours so far tonight. This is a temporary placement. I've been cycling different amps for the last couple months. Now that I've got it (I think) they'll get put in the rack - not stacked.

Neither are running in class A but I did notice the M-4 gets a little warmer than the M-60. Not hot, just slightly warm.
 
As an aside, one thing I find kinda comical is that I am dumping my Crown Microtek 1200 that I use as my main bass amp (I'm a bass player) for the new Crown XLS series "class D" amp. The sole reason: My amp is almost 40 lbs and the new ones are 11 lbs. It's why I have main speaker cabs with Neodymium magnets as well. 54 lbs instead of 100. When you're schlepping stuff to gigs, weight really matters.

It's kinda funny how weight means something different with home hi-fi.
 
Your M-4 is much prettier than mine (which came pretty scruffy from a low-rent pawn shop).

I'd like to clean mine up, but she works great, so I don't sweat the cosmetics too much... Certainly built like a tank!
 
so whaddya think thus far?

Initial impressions are....:thmbsp:

I'll get more detailed once I get out the spl meter and get a more accurate balance, but right off the bat I think they are more detailed than the Carvers. Plus I now have level controls!

Thanks Chris. You have PM.

Nice packing BTW.
 
so whaddya think thus far?

Initial impressions are....:thmbsp:

I'll get more detailed once I get out the spl meter and get a more accurate balance, but right off the bat I think they are more detailed than the Carvers. Plus I now have level controls!

Thanks Chris. You have PM.

Nice packing BTW.

That sure is a purty one. :scratch2:

:D

I'd have to go check one of mine, but from memory I'm thinking the Vampire BPHEX should fit nicely right into those connector cutouts. Mount them to a cut piece of Delrin made to fit and just solder on the leads and you're in business.

Avionic is your man for the task, but if he isn't up for it, I might be pursuaded to whip something up for you. However, mine are all handmade and I don't have access to a CNC like Dave does.
 
As an aside, one thing I find kinda comical is that I am dumping my Crown Microtek 1200 that I use as my main bass amp (I'm a bass player) for the new Crown XLS series "class D" amp. The sole reason: My amp is almost 40 lbs and the new ones are 11 lbs. It's why I have main speaker cabs with Neodymium magnets as well. 54 lbs instead of 100. When you're schlepping stuff to gigs, weight really matters.

It's kinda funny how weight means something different with home hi-fi.

I've got a Crown XLS-202 (the earlier non "D" Series) that sounds better than any Yamaha consumer amp. A true sleeper.
 
You have to work an M-4 VERY hard to get it to just warm.

Maybe, but it's on top. I've always been kind of paranoid with my amps, allowing several inches of airspace above and on the sides. Often, I even use a fan. Getting pretty hot may not cause immediate catastrophic failure, but I've heard it can have a cumulative effect shortening the life of internal parts.
 
I have 2 M-4's in my system and love them. One of them is pushing my DQ-10's and if played hard for awhile it also gets warm.
 
I've got a Crown XLS-202 (the earlier non "D" Series) that sounds better than any Yamaha consumer amp. A true sleeper.
I just sold a pair of custom speakers on Craigslist (they were huge ones from a church pa) and the guy was looking for an amp. I told him to check out Guitar Center. The new PA stuff is a steal compared to what they want for some of the consumer stuff.

On a side note, don't tell anybody but I have a BBE Sonic Maximizer hooked up to every system I have. Discovered them about 3 years ago and am hooked.
 
I just sold a pair of custom speakers on Craigslist (they were huge ones from a church pa) and the guy was looking for an amp. I told him to check out Guitar Center. The new PA stuff is a steal compared to what they want for some of the consumer stuff.

On a side note, don't tell anybody but I have a BBE Sonic Maximizer hooked up to every system I have. Discovered them about 3 years ago and am hooked.

QSC's and Crowns are loaded with metal die T-03 outputs. I have a QSC USA1310 that sounds superb except for the fan noise. My XLS-202 runs cool so I simply disconnected the fan. Not sure I can do the same for my QSC.
 
Take a look here to see what a terminal upgrade looks like.

I love my m-4!

Thanks for the link. That looks fantastic. I wonder if Avionic is taking on any new projects? :scratch2:

I'm noticing in several pics now that the power buttton lamp is usually amber-ish. Mine seems to be white-ish. Were there diffferent bulbs used in diffferent versions? Maybe a replaced bulb? Is the actual button colored and perhaps the color is fading/wearing off? Not a big deal. Just curious.
 
Thanks for the link. That looks fantastic. I wonder if Avionic is taking on any new projects? :scratch2:

I'm noticing in several pics now that the power buttton lamp is usually amber-ish. Mine seems to be white-ish. Were there diffferent bulbs used in diffferent versions? Maybe a replaced bulb? Is the actual button colored and perhaps the color is fading/wearing off? Not a big deal. Just curious.

The lamps have colored "condoms" on them. That one may be missing or maybe they were replaced by LEDs? The buttons are clear opaque.
 
Back
Top Bottom