• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

M&K subwoofer

steelydanfan

Active Member
Banned
hi everyone!! just obtained a m&k vx 7 subwoofer to help out my b&w 220 speakers..... amd i am flabergasted by it's performance.... all i have to say is WOW...HONESTLY I have owned alot of subs...ie (name brand junk from big chain store).. please note i am a novice listener and grew up in the 80s and shunned vintage electronics... but i have to say i love this subwoofer:banana:
 
Register to hide this ad
Shunned, you say? Not for long, if your experience with the M and K sub is any indication.
 
you are correct!!

yes yes yes I only want vintage now... i am in that verry weird category of music lovers/// i fell into the category of the newest technology is the greatest albeit i was a teenager between 85-89.... i feel that this generation fell between the cracks... not enough money to buy good stuff but money to buy crap.... all i know is i was blind but know i see!!!!!!

of course let it be known all i love is music... i could care less about audio video
 
Lots of music lovers (and music to love) from the 80's no?
In terms of audio equipment, there have been better era's though. :D
(On the other hand, for drumcomputers and synths it's a goldmine.)
 
hi everyone!! just obtained a m&k vx 7 subwoofer to help out my b&w 220 speakers..... amd i am flabergasted by it's performance.... all i have to say is WOW...HONESTLY I have owned alot of subs...ie (name brand junk from big chain store).. please note i am a novice listener and grew up in the 80s and shunned vintage electronics... but i have to say i love this subwoofer:banana:

I enjoy my MK subwoofer. It is very musical and sounds great compared to a lot of boomy subs. I like most of the Miller and Kreisel line. I do hope they manage to get back in business.
 
I have two and love them both. Despite many who said they were just Ok and would not keep up with my Maggies they are wrong. I have had many people over here that were amazed how much bottom end the maggies had. Then i told them there was a sub and they said even after knowing it integrates so well they could not tell. Neither of mine are super cool, just simple stamped frame 12" Emenance drivers in a sealed box (one is powered one is not) but they got it right. Nice solid tight bass. Not super deep but integrates with 2 channel VERY good.
 
That M&K VX-7 Volkswoofer is a very musical sub indeed and produces an amazingly good amount of well controlled bass given its 8" driver. It may not be able to rattle the walls/foundation in a HT setup, but it really excels at filling in the nether regions of stereo speakers that roll off below 50Hz.

Dave
 
relaximus you are so right!!

you said it right on! they do fill the music very well... believe it or not my lazy ass called my office and i sat around my listening room all day listening to both vinyl and tape and cd and i was just dumbfounded by the sound reproduction.. plus my b&w dm 220"s sounded sooo much better!!

i am on the prowl to purchase more subs for my 2 other sound systems!:banana:
 
agreed

Yup, always thought subwoofers were cute tricks for watching movies. Had some cheap junk that never impressed. Fell into an M&K MX70B and a Klipsch SW450. ZOUNDS! Made the man cave rattle and all good, not just BOOM BOOM BOOM. I'm a convert.
 
man i need to utilise my M&Ks better, currently they are unconnected. Maybe in my prologic i can use them. Top of the line VSX 9500s reciever from either late a80s or early ninetys. Problem is the Advent prodigys do very well in two channel in that system. Cant seem to connect any other speakers to it.
 
ud have to buy 3 arms and 4 legs with them though...I have some small speaks they go with quite well, including infinitys. I just need more room or a better way of setting up the systems.
 
ill put mine to use some day...i love their bass.





Tell you what. If you can get your hands on a pair of RSa or RSb. Snatch them up. They will out handle the M&Ks i have.
 
thanks tubed!!!!!!

after i found out they were first used as monitors for the steely dan sessions my heart started racing and i knew i had to have them
 
I parted with a pair of Cambridge Soundworks P1000 subs (which I still think are nice subs) and replaced them with a pair of M&K V125 Subs. ( that completed my transition over to a full M&K home theater speaker system - ).

of course that only brought out the M&K Junkie in me and now I've got a collection of M&K speakers growing at my place. Now I'm waiting on a pair of MX-70 subs to arrive. ( the original MX-70 not the 70b) I'm not quite sure where they will end up but I wanted to hear them and buying them was the only way. (That excuse has convinced me to buy more gear than I could ever use at any one moment).

I'm wondering how the MX-70's two eight in drivers in push pull configuration will compare with the single 12" Driver V-125. I'll find out soon enough I guess.

Who else is using M&K speakers and/or subs here? if so, which models ? and how are they working out for you?
 
Last edited:
I used to have the S-1B/Volkswoofer setup back in the 90s and loved it. It stayed with my ex, however, who still has it. That setup, when properly positioned would throw quite a sound stage.

Funny, today I passed on the exact same setup at an electronics flea market. Main reason is that just don't need any more speakers in the house. Heck, I picked up a set of the Continental version of the Bose 901 Series IIs yesterday. Just too many speakers in the house......

Cheers,

David
 
I used to have the S-1B/Volkswoofer setup back in the 90s and loved it. It stayed with my ex, however, who still has it. That setup, when properly positioned would throw quite a sound stage.

Funny, today I passed on the exact same setup at an electronics flea market. Main reason is that just don't need any more speakers in the house. Heck, I picked up a set of the Continental version of the Bose 901 Series IIs yesterday. Just too many speakers in the house......

Cheers,

David

i think i have that setup. Sounds very nice.
Front channels have two midwoofers and two peerless tweets? And a matching sub?
The sub is quite easy to match with other speakers as well. Excellent combo!
 
i think i have that setup. Sounds very nice.
Front channels have two midwoofers and two peerless tweets? And a matching sub?
The sub is quite easy to match with other speakers as well. Excellent combo!

I have yet to come across any severely harsh words on M&K Products, not to say that they don't have any issues, but for the most part, folks seem to like them, regardless of their age and any current advancements in speaker technology.

I'd love to hear the S-1c speakers and the MX 5000 subwoofer. but that would mean buying more speakers ( if I were able to find them at all) and I simply can't allow that to happen :)
 
Back
Top Bottom