• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Info on Sherwoods needed

crackerkorean

Striving for Polymathdom!
I have two sherwood receivers and wondering if they are anything special.

I need to thin the collection and these are on the chopping block.

S-7010
and
S-7210

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
Sherwood S-7010A

I have a Sherwood S-7010A and it is a fine low power budget receiver. The S-7010A is specified to put out 12 Watts per channel, minimum RMS, at 8 ohms from 40-20,000 Hz., with no more than 0.8% Total Harmonic Distortion. I think that this Sherwood is one of the best looking receivers of that era. It sounds good and the tuner works better than one might expect for a budget unit.

tcdriver
 
Sherwood S-7210

S-7210

26 watts per channel @ 8 ohms, 20 - 20,000 Hz.
1.9uV FM Sensitivity
Price $299.95 (July 1975)
 
Last edited:
I still have a Sherwood S-7200 receiver purchased in the summer of 1973. The FM section of this and other Sherwood receivers is especially noteworthy. Great sound from the tuner. Also, the amp section is very good. The S-7200 typically delivers at least 35 watts per channel, and should make a fine match for my currently idle Tannoy Mercury M2s.
 
Old thread I know but it probably goes here?

I've just won a Sherwood S-7010A for $15 aud. Bargain!!!!
Can't wait to get the little fella home.

Does anyone know what difference the "A" denotes in the model no.?

SherwoodS-7010A.jpg
SherwoodS-7010A_back.jpg
 
Hi,

Sherwood usually used the A suffix to denote an improved model or major circuit revision. This is one of the company's best eras. Well made and reliable. Excellent sound quality and tuner section.
 
My first "real" stereo receiver (1974) was a Sherwood S-8900A.
Wish I still had it.....................

Steve
 
I still have a Sherwood S-7200 receiver purchased in the summer of 1973.....................

I was lucky enough to pick one of these up a few months back. Great receiver with a very warm tube-like sound; lots of power; great looks; and +1 on the FM section. I really like the way the dial lights only come on when it is in tuner mode...why don't more receivers do this?
 
Here's an ad for a nice little combo based around the S-7210A. Dated Feb 18, 1977.
Stores name was K&L Sound Service, Watertown, Ma.
Sherwood7210a-ad-Feb18-1977.jpg
 
I really like the way the dial lights only come on when it is in tuner mode...why don't more receivers do this?

The Sansui 2000A does the same thing - this is a nice feature. When I first picked it up I thought something was wrong...:scratch2:
 
Nice find - I haven't ever seen any vintage Sherwood stuff in the flesh. One of the best looking reciever brands in my opinion, and your one looks in great condition.

Sherwood's tuners are awesome though. I have a cheap-ish black one downstairs as the Sony can't pull in stations (living in a giant bowl is annoying), and it could probably get stations from the Moon.
 
Not special, but nice sounding, simple, basic receivers that are inexpensive today. Every "real" Sherwood receiver I've encountered features a very good tuner section. We have an S-7200 or maybe S-7210, given to me by joZmo, which has one of the hottest tuners in the house.

EDIT: woop, it's an S-7200. Thanks again, joZmo!

attachment.php

attachment.php
 
A few years ago I found a Sherwood SEL 200 at a flea market for $30. and it's original sales slip indicated that is cost $579. in 1969! That was a lot of money for a receiver in the late 60s. I think this model was the first and best of the "sleek" panel Sherwoods - it is one nice receiver.....must be 75 watts per channel, can run 3 sets of speakers, etc.

I pulled a muscle in my left arm carrying this the 1/3 of a mile back to my car...it's really heavy.
 
I picked up an s-7210a last year at a garage sale in wonderful condition for $5. I got it home swapped it in for my pioneer sx-780 and loved the sound. It is my garage system. I didn't realize the kind of deal I was getting at the time, but am very glad I picked it up.
 
I love Sherwood receivers!

I have two of them. a 1966 S-8600 and a modern R-4109.

I would love to have a S-7800 or 8800 so much I would gladly trade my Marantz 2226B for it!
 
whats the difference between a S7200 and the S7210 ?
also does the s7900 sound better than the s7200 and does the s8900 sound better than the s7900 vs s7200?

and

Sherwood vs Sansui - which sounds better for the low power models?
.. I know its subjective, but for those of you who have heard both, whaddya think?
 
Back
Top Bottom