• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer Crazy?

Register to hide this ad
Just like mine you know it was the top of the line unit for that year. Sounds like it will need new belts. Great score :thmbsp:

Ron
 
Great price is one good reason! I've always liked that model and i'm not even a big Pioneer fan, even though its a great product.
 
I know nothing about it. Only it looks gooood!!

Are belts easy to get and easy to replace? Hope so.

TankDonovan
 
Tank,,
It's easy to see why you fell for that tape machine. I think Pioneer stuff is just drop dead gorgeous from that era. When I look at my late 70's Pioneer gear, I don't even care if the stuff works or not....But I'm sure glad that they all do, well, except for my 1980. My SX-1250 and two SA-9900's sound as great as they look!!
I have an ole CT-F9191 buried somewhere. Who knows, you may have inspired me to fix it and play some tapes again!
 
It was a good buy. It probably just needs new belts, a cleaning and a Deoxit to the controls. Post any trouble and you get lots of help.
 
WOW, for $25, that is a great score, it looked very nice!! The CT-F9191 is a beautiful unit and very easy to use, you'll love it!!
 
Nice deck.
That might just inspire me too. I have a CTF-650 and a CTF-750 which are just waiting for some enthusiasm. Different looking to yours but still that silver Pioneer magic. This 650 has belt issues and is not much fun in this department.
Cheers
Tony
 
Thanks for info guys!
It seems like the CT-F9191 is a well known and liked deck. It will look great sitting on top of my SX-5580.
By the way, my wife thinks I`m crazy.
TankDonovan
 
Vert nice looking deck Tank, $25.00 is a good price, didn't rape ya on the shipping either. Awesome link for the belts, Ovenmaster. Has anybody dealt with them?
 
TWantiques,
You are right. I have bought turntable belts from Bob and I got fast and friendly service. Good prices, too! Looks like he has what I will probably need.

TankDonovan
 
I just ordered from Bob

Some RtR belts, but a web site with all of the model listings and pictures, pricing, and stocking info is soooo nice.
 
Hi
The ct-f9191 slow rewind (check fast forward too!) is completely seperate from the play takeup. There are NO belts for this. In the several I have seen there is a moveable idler that contacts a motor drive tire of less than 3/8 inch diameter. The idler then drives the supply and takeup shafts.
This idler is actually a felt clutch setup with TWO springs in the tiny thing.
In the ones I have seen with slow or no ff/rew this idler had esentially frozen to the steel shaft! Have one in suspended animation in that condition now.
(Almost bid on that auction as a parts queen, I was watching it on fleabay).
I'm watching the duct taped 9191 listing that goes tomorrow. Shipping was cheaper from wisconsin for me, but Wilmington NC isn't too bad...
There are other CT-F9191 posts that I put up a few weeks ago talking about the mechanics/ electronics in them. They might help... just look up my old posts, there aren't many....
 
markthefixer,
Thanks for the info. I have heard about the idler wheel on cassett decks. Like I said, I really don`t like cassett tapes that much. I think I can find two or three around the house. Back in the late 70`s and 80`s I was really into them. I got carried away when the CD came out. But I have since came back to vintage audio. I have a RTR but I like playing LPs the most. The CT-F9191 looks just awesome! That is really why I bought it. I`m sure when I get it I will have a look inside and my interests in cassetts may start up again.
TankDonovan
 
I received the awesome CT-F9191 today and it seemed not to play right to start with. But after a little tweaking here and there[not sure what I did] it started to play just great. The seller said it had issues. The only thing I can find is the tape counter does not work. FF and Rewind work just great. Well, I have not tried to record yet[no tapes].
TankDonovan
 
sorry for the delay... On the ct-f9191 the tape counter not working is 99% likely to be a little belt from the stop sensor to the tape counter. I recomend a temporary rubber band (shudder... but you can't beat the price) till the belts are done.This is a totally non-critical belt but the tape counter is handy and it has the "memory" stop.Do the 3 front panel level controls turn easily (left and right are friction coupled together, but they should turn easily)? As for the fiddling on audio, when you get a cassette into the well then take the deck into and out of record many times. Each time you should hear a hefty THUNK as a solenoid switches the circuitry between playback and record... hopefully breaking through any oxidation (deoxit would be nice but...). It should make a difference. But you need the cassette in place to defeat the interlocks preventing the record solenoid from actuating.... Once recording is started then you can cycle quickly in and out by ( I think) activating the pause during record.
All in all it sounds like that deal was a winner.... :yes:
I'm waiting on my ebay duct-taped (second) ct-f9191 from North Carolina right now... Hoping to beat the weekend.
:thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
markthefixer,
So you bought the duck tape deck!
Yes, I think I may have gotten a good deal.
The level controls turn as they should. The counter seems to be the only thing that does not work correctly. The apperance is very good too . No marks on the face at all{Mint]. A few small nicks on the wood. Worst being bottom right corner, kinda chipped but not bad.
Thanks for the info, I`ll give it a try first chance I get.
TankDonovan
 
Back
Top Bottom