• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Nakamichi CD-4, how good is it?

wsjoe

Well-Known Member
Picked it up from a thrift store for $20. It works but wanted to know how good is this player.

Does anyone know what remote control is used for this?

wsjoe
 
Register to hide this ad
I just received a CD-4 yesterday that I bought last week on ebay for $37.00, I am very impressed by it. I have been using two different Sony ES units and I really think the overall sound is much brighter and well defined not to mention the midrange sounds like voice is much more present. I lucked out, there isn't a scratch or blemish on this unit, it came with the original remote (CD-4RC) owners manual and patch cord. If you picked one up for $20.00 you didn't get hurt. I originally bought this one to resale, but it's so nice it's going to stay in the family. If you want to send me a PM with your email address I will scan the owners manual and email it to you. It's funny that you started this thread, as I just logged on to ask the same question.
Travis (Doug The Dog) :thmbsp:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3272&item=7514906011
 
Last edited:
remote

Doug,

You may have replied me already but what was the model number of the remote of this Nakamichi player?

thanks
 
Nakamichi CD-4

I googled this units' model number and here I am to ask if anyone has any info on this deck. Years of manufacture, msrp, opinions, and if they will play cd's that are burned on a computer or not.
I would appreciate it.

RJ
 
It's a pretty good deck considering in came out in the released from 90-92. 18bit with 8x oversampling. It does play pc burned cd's, at least mine did.
 
wsjoe said:
Doug,

You may have replied me already but what was the model number of the remote of this Nakamichi player?

thanks
That is the golden question. I have a CD-2 and when I asked nobody seems to know about mine and I have asked a few times. :sigh: Too bad as the unit has to have one to use all it's features like the Music Bank. My 2 does play CDR's BTW.

Carl
 
Nope, my MCD7008 speaks a different language for sure. The innards look so very similar too right down to the dual chips.(but 16 bit)

Carl
 
Orion Bluebook on Nakamichi CDPlayer 2

CarlV said:
That is the golden question. I have a CD-2 and when I asked nobody seems to know about mine and I have asked a few times. :sigh: Too bad as the unit has to have one to use all it's features like the Music Bank. My 2 does play CDR's BTW.

Carl

NAK CD PLAYER 2

Description: 1+6 DISC, 20-BIT, MUSIC BANK, 50-PRGM MEM, DIGITAL OUT, RMT :thmbsp:

Manufacture Years: 1990 - 1992

Additional Information:

Retail
MSRP: $800.00
USED: $196.00
Wholesale
Mint: $114.00
Average: $66.00
 
Orion Bluebook on Nakamichi CDPlayer 4

wsjoe said:
Picked it up from a thrift store for $20. It works but wanted to know how good is this player.

wsjoe

NAK CD PLAYER 4

Description: 18-BIT, 8X-OS, DIGITAL OUT, REMOTE

Manufacture Years: 1990 - 1992

Additional Information:
Retail
MSRP: $351.00
USED: $56.00
Wholesale
Mint: $32.00
Average: $19.00
 
Separated at Birth: McIntosh MCD7008 and Nakamichi MusicBank

CarlV said:
Nope, my MCD7008 speaks a different language for sure. The innards look so very similar too right down to the dual chips.(but 16 bit)

Carl

The remote controls use different codes, but the internal MusicBank stacker mechanism appears to be the same. :scratch2:

This common lineage was discussed in the DirectDrive forum on AudioAsylum:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=digital&n=114397&highlight=nakamichi+mcintosh&r=&session=
 
It is definitely the same Nakamichi Music Bank in the 7008. The DAC chips are different so I assumed the CD2 had 16 bit and 7008 20 bit. Come to find out the Nak is 20 bit as well. Just different makes of chips then. I guess lol.


Carl
 
I just picked up one of these for $10.99 at a thrift store! Hahaha cleaned it up its in great shape and works well.
 
There is no 1-4.

The Nakamichi CD Player 4 has a stylistic different brother, the CD-4. The two do not look the same, but they have the same internals.

I have a CD-4.

50219162_934.jpg

nakamichi_cd_player_4_compact_disc_player.jpg

CD Player 4 on bottom, same internals, styled different to match different systems. Both are entry level performers, but they have digital outputs.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom