• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Nakamichi CD-4, how good is it?

Thanks for the clarification.
Im always confused with the nak cd models. I see music bank on some players in that line but not all and then they actually called a line mb for music bank..
 
I think 'music bank' referred to the multi CD changers.

Some of them have a six disc cassette that hides behind a single disc draw, hard to see in a picture.
 
There were these two very nice models also:
upload_2019-10-30_22-49-52.jpeg

Six disc changers and also single disc adapter.

As a cautionary note I was scavenging a transformer from the lower non working CDC-3A and noticed this:
upload_2019-10-30_22-55-9.jpeg

Then I wondered about my working CDC-4A and found this glue corrosion:
upload_2019-10-30_23-0-35.jpeg
upload_2019-10-30_23-5-31.jpeg

So if you have these vintage units you may want to take a look before they self destruct.

Mark K.
 
There is no 1-4.

The Nakamichi CD Player 4 has a stylistic different brother, the CD-4. The two do not look the same, but they have the same internals.

I have a CD-4.
cd-4 looks nicer.


50219162_934.jpg

nakamichi_cd_player_4_compact_disc_player.jpg

CD Player 4 on bottom, same internals, styled different to match different systems. Both are entry level performers, but they have digital outputs.
cd-4 looks nicer
 
There were these two very nice models also:
View attachment 1658862

Six disc changers and also single disc adapter.

As a cautionary note I was scavenging a transformer from the lower non working CDC-3A and noticed this:
View attachment 1658864

Then I wondered about my working CDC-4A and found this glue corrosion:
View attachment 1658867
View attachment 1658870

So if you have these vintage units you may want to take a look before they self destruct.

Mark K.
That is not leakage from the electrolytic capacitor. It is a staking compound (glue) used to reduce vibration.
 
That is not leakage from the electrolytic capacitor. It is a staking compound (glue) used to reduce vibration.
This was never a "leaking capacitor" issue, and was never mentioned as such. This was a glue ("staking compound") issue, of using glue that causes corrosion over time destroying capacitors and boards. Thanks.
 
This was never a "leaking capacitor" issue, and was never mentioned as such. This was a glue ("staking compound") issue, of using glue that causes corrosion over time destroying capacitors and boards. Thanks.
Oh, okay. I must have misinterpreted your experience. I have seen the glue discolor the component side of the board but have not seen it corrode the fiberglass board or caps. I usually just scraped off the dry out glue when replacing old electrolytic caps.
 
Back
Top Bottom