• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SX-1250 main caps.

Robisme

Sansui Enthusiast
Subscriber
I am working on an SX-1250 that has main caps that vented. They still function, but the owner wants them replaced. I have not heard back from the E-bay seller that has the 35,000uf caps folks have been using, but they are on the East coast.

The other option is to stuff the old caps. Has anyone done this?

I was thinking of using these.

Rob
 
Register to hide this ad
The 35,000uf 80v caps AK'ers are buying off E-bay are CD, but are only $27.50 each when you buy 2. They drop in too. DCM353U080CD2B

The owner of the SX-1250 thought $125 for four caps was too much, so those may be a bit too pricey for him.

I will point him to this thread though.

Thanks for the option.

Rob
 
What is the cap size? 22,00uF/80V
Diameter? 50mm/2"?
Length?
screw spacing?
screw thread?
These computer grade caps are available, but costly, unless you want to deviate from the original can size.
 
100V is better, as that renders them useful for a bunch of other gear as well (Spec 2, 1280, etc...)

Been buying Nippon Chemi-Con 24,000µf 100V caps (E36D101LPC243UDA5M) twenty at a time for the last couple years, or I'd jump in here and help with a group buy.
 
Hello SX-1250 folks,

I do not think that you will find any computer grade cap's with screw terminals of the size that is required, any cheaper than around $30 each. More than that in a lot of cases!!
Do we know the original mechanical spes for these caps?
Diameter = 63mm/2.5" as stated earlier
Original length = ?
Original screw spacing = ?
Original screw thread = ?
Obviously, the can diameter and the screw terminal spacing are the two most important ones, height/(length) can be up to a certain maximum, not sure what that is,
Knowing all this information,then we can compile a list of suppliers and search for what is available in smaller quantities.
 
With screw terminal caps, the spacing has been standardized for many years. Thus, any 63mm cap will have spacing equal to any other 63mm cap, any 76mm cap will have spacing equal to any other 76mm cap, etc., etc.

The cap length is important only in that it has to be under some maximum so that it'll fit in the unit. The screw itself on most computer grade caps that you'll source nowadays is a #10/32, which is a tad larger than the stock metric screw on most Japanese gear (M4.5, I think).

On the 1250, this means that the 'common' bar that runs between the two caps will have to have the hole enlarged a bit to accommodate the slightly larger screw, and the ring terminals for the 'hot' sides either filed out or replaced.
 
SX-1250 upgrades

Thanks for the info,

I guess that you can use the CDE caps and change the mounting bracket to a 50mm type in place of the 63mm ones that are used. Underneath the wiring will get a bit messy since you are adapting a snap-fit lead cap in replacement of a screw terminal. I guess it really comes down to cosmetics and if anyone really cares what it looks like.
On another note, sorry to side line the discussion,
I have bought a used SX-1250 transformer from eBay, for $25.00. Plan on using it for a new AMP build, using LME49830 and Lateral MOSFETs. So have done a bit of investigation in the design aspects of the SX-1250. Will take the best from the SX-1250 design and from the National/TI ap note (AN1849-An Audio Amplifier Power Supply Design).
For filter caps I'll use CDE Type 380LX-382LX as they will fit nicely on a PCB & are readilly available. Not as good as computer grade caps, but sufficient for the application. One goal is to minimize wiring, put as much on the PCB's as possible. I started a thread on (http://www.diyaudio.com)
(http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/220962-lme49830-latfet-yet-another-design-review.html)
Here is a BOM for a I/P recitifier assy, there will be two of these PCB's as I will sort of follow the same SX-1250 chassis layout, with the heat sinks on opposite sides. The Amplifier PCB, is very small, by comparision to the ones used on the SX-1250. I do realize that this forum does not seem to have a lot of EE designer types, but this forum still has lots of useful information for me.
"LME49830+LatFET Power Supply Revised: Sunday, October 21, 2012"
Revision: A0 Page1
"Bill Of Materials November 3,2012 12:11:40"
Item Qty Ref Part MFG1 MFG1_PN MFG2 MFG2_PN DIST1 DIST1_PN(MFG1) DIST1_PN(MFG2) DIST2 DIST2_PN(MFG1) DIST2_PN(MFG2)
1 2 "C1,C2" 22m CDE 382LX223M080B062VS Digi-Key 338-1984-ND
2 4 "C3,C4,C5,C6" 100n Panasonic-ECG ECQ-E2104KF Digi-Key EF2104-ND Mouser 667-ECQ-E2104KF
3 4 "C7,C8,C9,C10" 100n CDE M22R104K1-F Kemet C322C104K1R5TA Mouser 598-M22R104K1-F 80-C322C104K1R Digi-Key 399-4328-ND 478-3185-ND
4 2 "C11,C12" 1u Panasonic-ECG ECQ-E1105KF EPCOS B32521C1105J Digi-Key EF1105-ND 495-1167-ND Mouser 667-ECQ-E1105KF 80-MMK10105K100A04L4
5 1 D1 GBPC3508W Fairchild GBPC3508W Vishay GBPC3508W-E4/51GI Mouser 512-GBPC3508W 512-GBPC3510W Digi-Key 641-1385-ND GBPC3508W-E4/51GI-ND
6 1 R1 100 YAGEO MFR-25FBF-100R Phoenix 5053MC100R0F12AF5 Digi-Key 100XBK-ND PPC100ZCT-ND
7 2 "R2,R3" 2K YAGEO SQP500JB-2K0 Vishay AC05000002001JAC00 Digi-Key 2.0KW-5-ND PPC5W2.0KTB-ND Mouser 286-2.0K-RC

So far there is:
1) I/P rectifier PCB
2) I/P regulator PCB
3) Amplifier PCB
4) AC I/P with soft-start relay ckt
Deciding if I will incorporate protection features, DC offset, over current, turn-on/off delay relay etc, as has been done in many of Pioneer designs. Plan to eventually fold in my Pre-Amp design with includes tuner, phono. MP3 media player, USB CODEC and the list goes on. A modern day SX-1250 of sorts, but with remote control and a Atmel xmega MCU as well.
Any suggestions as to improvements/features, if you were to re-design/specify a SX-1250 design?

Thx Rick
 
Last edited:
Can you find room beneath for the new caps (in a way that will look OK)? You can leave the old ones as decoys. Not the perfect solution but it would give the client an alternative.He might even decide to do it right instead once he sees the alternative.
 
I guess that you can use the CDE caps and change the mounting bracket to a 50mm type in place of the 63mm ones that are used. Underneath the wiring will get a bit messy since you are adapting a snap-fit lead cap in replacement of a screw terminal-

I will be cutting the bottoms off the old caps, pulling the guts out, and installing the new caps in the old cans. Then I will epoxy the bottoms back on the old caps. They will reinstall in the same clamps, and use the screw terminals. It will look original.

I found some 22000uf 100v caps that will fit in the old cans nicely.

Here is a receiver I did this to. Each cap was a dual cap, so I had to stuff two caps in each can. What you see are the
old cans with new caps inside.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=460670


Rob
 
Last edited:
rcs16, you might find a bit more enthusiasm over in the DIY forum?

AS it is, the thread looks like a branch there. A viable branch, but not OT.
 
Hi Mark,

Yes, I am on the Audio-DIY forum, lots of EE types, I did post the link to the thread that I started for my design.

Thx Rick
 
I had purchaced ADCOM 100V 22000uF Computer Grade Low ESR Capacitors
for my SX-1250. I see the FleeBay seller has these re-stocked.

FleeBay Item# 200844277570

He charged me $140 & $10 shipping. I would contact he to work out a deal.
 
I had purchaced ADCOM 100V 22000uF Computer Grade Low ESR Capacitors
for my SX-1250. I see the FleeBay seller has these re-stocked.

FleeBay Item# 200844277570

He charged me $140 & $10 shipping. I would contact he to work out a deal.

But that's for just two?
 
Back
Top Bottom