• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Phono Pre: ART DJPRE II vs. DB Systems DB-8

steelglam

Super Member
Has anyone here been able to compare the ART DJPRE II and DB Systems DB-8 directly? I'm looking at sub-$200 phono stages, and from reading various threads on the site, these are the two that stand out the most to me. The ART because of the alleged price-to-performance ratio, and the DB Systems because it can be made with customizable input capacitance and is done in my neck of the woods!

Others that I was considering as competitors to the DB Systems are the Musical Fidelity V-LPS, Yaqin MS-22B, and Hagerman Bugle (I'm only willing to DIY if it's easy and a full-kit including power supply...so something like the ESP is out of the question right now). But due to the aforementioned aspects of the DB Systems, I am more drawn to it.

So, I'm wondering how the ART and DB Systems compare to one another. I've seen lots of posts about how the ART compares to the others that I mention in the above paragraph, but not the DB Systems specifically. Has anyone had any experience with both the ART and the DB Systems?

Thanks in advance!
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm very happy to see this thread! I have had my eyes on a DB-8, but have been holding off on pulling the trigger while I weigh my options. The things that appeal to me about the DB-8 is its ruler flat RIAA spec and reviewers commenting on its excellent imaging capability. Oh, and Marc Morin endorses DB Systems' products, and I place great weight on his recommendations as they have been very right on in my experience.

I have an ART DJ-PRE II that I like very much for its smooth yet energetic character and tonal neutrality, but I am less than thrilled with its imaging depth. ArcoRob has sung the praises of replacing the wall wart with a 12v lantern battery, claiming that it enlarges the soundstage significantly; indeed, the sound sample he provided was pretty impressive. I'm presently waiting to receive a battery ordered from Amazon so that I can try it for myself.
 
Last edited:
I'm very happy to see this thread! I have had my eyes on a DB-8, but have been holding off on pulling the trigger while I weigh my options. The things that appeal to me about the DB-8 is its ruler flat RIAA spec and reviewers commenting on its excellent imaging capability. Oh, and Marc Morin endorses DB Systems' products, and I place great weight on his recommendations as they have been very right on in my experience.

I have an ART DJ-PRE II that I like very much for its smooth yet energetic character and tonal neutrality, but I am less than thrilled with its imaging depth. ArcoRob has sung the praises of replacing the wall wart with a 12v lantern battery, claiming that it enlarges the soundstage significantly; indeed, the sound sample he provided was pretty impressive. I'm presently waiting to receive a battery ordered from Amazon so that I can try it for myself.


As soon as I get my second DB-1B preamp back from David, I'll send that to you for a listen. not sure you can single out the phono section, unless you go through the Tape in/out to your existing preamp.......dunno, never tried daisy chaining my preamps that way
 
I too am very interested in his topic. I have a Jolida JD-9 that is modified and sounds awesome. I would like another phono stage to dedicate to my my Home Theater system ... getting tired of swapping the JD-9 between two systems.

Looking forward to any comparisons.


Bob
:lurk:
 
I'm very happy to see this thread! I have had my eyes on a DB-8, but have been holding off on pulling the trigger while I weigh my options. The things that appeal to me about the DB-8 is its ruler flat RIAA spec and reviewers commenting on its excellent imaging capability. Oh, and Marc Morin endorses DB Systems' products, and I place great weight on his recommendations as they have been very right on in my experience.

I have an ART DJ-PRE II that I like very much for its smooth yet energetic character and tonal neutrality, but I am less than thrilled with its imaging depth. ArcoRob has sung the praises of replacing the wall wart with a 12v lantern battery, claiming that it enlarges the soundstage significantly; indeed, the sound sample he provided was pretty impressive. I'm presently waiting to receive a battery ordered from Amazon so that I can try it for myself.

Thanks, beatcomber.

On the ART, a general question: what is involved with switching from the stock power supply to the 12V battery?

Btw, since you are "local" as well, I think you may be able head up to Rindge and pick up the DB-8 if you didn't want to pay shipping. Don't quote me on that, but I called them a while back and recall David Hadaway saying it may be possible to pick it up if you were local.
 
As soon as I get my second DB-1B preamp back from David, I'll send that to you for a listen. not sure you can single out the phono section, unless you go through the Tape in/out to your existing preamp.......dunno, never tried daisy chaining my preamps that way

Woo hoo, thanks, Marc!!! Connecting the tape outs to my integrated amp should work.

Thanks, beatcomber.

On the ART, a general question: what is involved with switching from the stock power supply to the 12V battery?

I haven't actually done it yet, but my understanding is you can cut the power supply off an old wall wart, connect the bare wires from the cable to clips and then connect it to the battery terminals. The plug from the old wall wart needs to fit the ART's power jack, of course.

This is what I ordered:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QGVWBW/ref=ox_ya_os_product
Scroll down halfway to see a combo deal with the battery recharger for $18.16 + shipping.

I'll probably post some before and after audio samples once I get it set up.

Btw, since you are "local" as well, I think you may be able head up to Rindge and pick up the DB-8 if you didn't want to pay shipping. Don't quote me on that, but I called them a while back and recall David Hadaway saying it may be possible to pick it up if you were local.

That had occurred to me, but Rindge, NH is a bit of a drive from eastern Massachusetts (3hr round trip), unfortunately. I might still do it anyway, if only to meet the guy.
 
Last edited:
Not exactly what you are asking but I just sold a V-LPS and replaced it with a second DB-8. Also have a DB-8HG MC preamp on the way. The V-LPS is good but the DB-8 sounds noticeably better. YMMV of course.
 
My finger is hovering on the "Buy" button for the ART DJ, I've got a 12V SLA battery ready for duty (7.2 AH rating) and if this thing will outperform my stock 640p, I'll be a pretty happy camper.
 
Not exactly what you are asking but I just sold a V-LPS and replaced it with a second DB-8. Also have a DB-8HG MC preamp on the way. The V-LPS is good but the DB-8 sounds noticeably better. YMMV of course.

Now that sounds interesting!

Don't mean to put you on the spot but can you be a little more specific about what it is about the DB-8 you prefer or the V-LPS you dislike?

Dave/ChairSpud
 
Hi Dave,
Umm...more open, dynamic, no coloration, faithful reproduction. I hate to use glowing adjectives because everyone's setup is different and room acoustics...etc. It's not a night & day improvement but it was noticeable. Compared to the DB-8, the V-LPS (Mk I) was a bit veiled.

_______
Matthew
 
what I would like to see

ART vs DB8 ...same table/cart/sound sample (ART with the 12VDC of course)

I am willing to bet the ART wins based on some KEY specs..check carefully :D

But the proof will always be in the sound not the specs so would be a good test..
 
I have a 12VDC power supply kicking around and a couple of bucks to spare so...i ordered an ART. I'll post some opinions in a few days. This hobby is going to have me back living on the street.

_______
Matthew
 
But

I have a 12VDC power supply kicking around and a couple of bucks to spare so...i ordered an ART. I'll post some opinions in a few days. This hobby is going to have me back living on the street.

_______
Matthew

The shelter will have nice sound..kidding..
 
About this subject, here is an EXACT quote from someone whose opinion I value. It comes from a two-year-old PM to me on another web site:

"I'd say that DB systems was better than most of the phono stages I tried, but still not as good as the ART. Was a very simple circuit. Nothing about it substantiated the price besides the fact it was hand made. I'll take mass-produced with a better design and better sound."
 
I believe it

About this subject, here is an EXACT quote from someone whose opinion I value. It comes from a two-year-old PM to me on another web site:

"I'd say that DB systems was better than most of the phono stages I tried, but still not as good as the ART. Was a very simple circuit. Nothing about it substantiated the price besides the fact it was hand made. I'll take mass-produced with a better design and better sound."

This little guy needs ALOT more respect. I know there are better but paying hundreds to do so when $50 will suffice?

FYI..I have been trying to contact ART on making a PRE III that supports MC carts. Since I found that using the AT630 SUT with the ART sounds incredible, they should have at least 3 settings with an internal SUT. I think it would be a damn fine MM/MC phono stage...
 
Hi Dave,
Umm...more open, dynamic, no coloration, faithful reproduction. I hate to use glowing adjectives because everyone's setup is different and room acoustics...etc. It's not a night & day improvement but it was noticeable. Compared to the DB-8, the V-LPS (Mk I) was a bit veiled.

_______
Matthew

Thanks Matthew, I always thought the V-LPS was very transparent sounding so your comment about it (in comparison) being a bit veiled sounds like something I might like. Yes I agree different setups and room acoustics can certainly change things which brings to mind one reason I like the V-LPS - it seems to attenuate a slight midrange coloration I hear on the SL1210Mk2. Would the 1200Mk2 by chance be the turntable you're using?

Dave/ChairSpud
 
Dave, not a MKII but I know what you are talking about. Some people scoff at the term synergy but for the lack of a better word, the DB-8 "works together" with so many turntable/cartridge combinations. It just plain plays the music. For $200 clams you would be hard pressed to find a better phono pre, besides the ART DJ II with a 12 VDC power supply :D:D
_______
Matthew
 
Back
Top Bottom