• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2230 "Throw Down" What's all the Buzz?

patfont

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Well I just got my Marantz 2230 and since it is regarded as royalty I am going to give this one the "royal treatment" and see if the "Buzz" is for real!

I have already hit it with deoxit and gave it a general going over. First matter to handle is the plug, it came with the type where you slip the wire in and push down on the little lever to make contact. Me no likin' it so gonna change it out.
 
Register to hide this ad
As usual first up will be the power supply. We have 5 e-caps of which one is of the snap in type. (470uf 63V) Also will be replacing the 2 SIB-01-02 diodes with hyper fast soft recovery diodes.

Here is the before shot:




Here are the caps and diodes off:




Here is the refreshed board:

The snap in is a CDE 381LX 470uf 100V, and the rest are Silmic II




Close up of diodes:



Voltage adjusted and rock solid.
 
Last edited:
Wow complete details on the caps, enough to select the same items from one's favorite supplier and only a passing nod and pic of the hyper-fast soft recovery diodes. You are leaving us hanging without a part number.

But we really like the work and look forward to more pictures. We like pictures, this is an easy crowd to please, usually. Then we get your comments about sound quality. We'll be around for a while enjoying this thread.
 
Wow complete details on the caps, enough to select the same items from one's favorite supplier and only a passing nod and pic of the hyper-fast soft recovery diodes. You are leaving us hanging without a part number.

But we really like the work and look forward to more pictures. We like pictures, this is an easy crowd to please, usually. Then we get your comments about sound quality. We'll be around for a while enjoying this thread.

I will be glad to post the components that are being used. For those who like one stop shopping you can make some adjustment or use alternatives just let me know.

I like to use Mouser and DigiKey however there are a hand full of items I like to use that they just do not stock, so I do place orders with Parts Connexion and Handmade Electronics. When I do order from Parts Connexion and Handmade I usually order multiples of the items I know I am going to need again. (Such as Elna Silmic II 3.3uf 50V)
 
After reading this thread and the other Marantz thread I put my 2230 back in my system after 6 months of being in my closet and was amazed how good it sounds very warm and musical definitely a keeper .
 
Last edited:
Next up will be the Power/Coupling caps and while they are out I will do the right amp board as it just gives better access.

1060 same as 2230?

I like the 2230 layout alot, love the separate amp boards as opposed to the 1060 single board. The 2230 is a pleasure to work on, if I had a Hakko 808 (missed the one on BT that lasted all of 4 min) it would be super easy.

The 2230 boards are pretty easy, P/S is done from the bottom, amp boards need to be folded open like a book, phono and pre get flipped.

If you can not tell from the pics this 2230 is super "minty."

Here are the before pics:





This is actually the left amp board:

 
Last edited:
Right side amp board and large caps are done, it is looking sharp! Bias diodes got some new thermal compound.


Some pics:









 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom