• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

The Butt Ugliest Receiver Ever???

vintagestereo

Addicted Member
Banned
The Butt Ugliest Receiver Ever???: hk670i

Some would say it's my Harman Kardon hk670i.

In defense of this much maligned Receiver, I must say that for 60 wpc the four 10,000 uF filter caps are a nice touch, as is the 4 Gang tuner. The circuit boards are "clean" and there is ample heatsinking. However for a "Twin Power" design, as it claims on the front, where's that second Power Transformer???? :scratch2: Should I put out an APB?? :music:

It's hard to believe that this was h/k's TOTL Receiver during the "Power Wars". Rather than pack as many buttons and features in as possible, h/k went the opposite direction. However, ugly as it is, the big tuning scale makes it super easy to dial in stations and the oddball stying does grow on you after awhile, since it simply looks like nothing else out there.

It has some interesting little design details, like the huge Signal Quality Meter/Multipath Meter and the Center Tuning LED atop the station indicator, the dual Red LEDS atop the Power Button (why?) and the Red LED showing when either of the Tape Monitors are activated.

And, frankly, the sound quality from the DC Ampifier is pretty AMAZING. In fact, I'd say it's the most impressive 60 wpc Receiver I've heard.

So, it makes a great "Q Ship" Receiver. It takes pride of ownership in a completely different direction!

Is this the ugliest or can you top it??? Please post pics as proof!
 

Attachments

  • HarKar670AK.jpg
    HarKar670AK.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 1,386
  • HarKar670AK2.jpg
    HarKar670AK2.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 579
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
vintagestereo said:
Some would say it's my Harman Kardon hk670i

Taste is really a very subjective matter.
I, for one, don´t find that HK670i particularly ugly. :no:

Charivari owns a very ugly receiver. I´m not sure that´s a Sansui 'Z-9000', though. ( Sorry JP, just had to be honest here ). :sigh:

However, I remember seeing some JVC receivers in the 80´s that were at least as ugly as the one mentioned above.

Jorge
 
I just got a Kewnwood TK-66 receiver, and it could easily be mistaken for the radio/heater controls for a late 1960's Oldsmobile. Wonderful thick aluminum and real glass dial ruined by very fake vinyl/wood veneer.

But appearances belie the sound and it certainly has potential (once all the electrolyics are replaced).
 
hifi_nut said:
Taste is really a very subjective matter.

Charivari owns a very ugly receiver. I´m not sure that´s a Sansui 'Z-9000', though. ( Sorry JP, just had to be honest here ). :sigh:

Jorge
Careful there, Jorge, VintageStereo owns one as well. :D Ok, ok, I admit the Kenwood KR-1000 Galaxy Commander doesn't have a supermodel's looks, but its eccentricity overcomes its aesthetic deficiencies. :thmbsp:

- JP
 
Charivari said:
Careful there, Jorge, VintageStereo owns one as well. :D Ok, ok, I admit the Kenwood KR-1000 Galaxy Commander doesn't have a supermodel's looks, but its eccentricity overcomes its aesthetic deficiencies. :thmbsp:

- JP

Charivari -- Be VERY CAREFUL about what you say about my beloved Galaxy Commander. My feelings could get hurt....... :tears:
 
Charivari and Vintagestereo,

If you really dig the looks of the Kenwood KR-1000 Galaxy Commander, I very much question the integrity of your feelings. :D
Jorge
 
vintagestereo said:
Some would say it's my Harman Kardon hk670i.

In defense of this much maligned Receiver, I must say that for 60 wpc the four 10,000 uF filter caps are a nice touch, as is the 4 Gang tuner. The circuit boards are "clean" and there is ample heatsinking. However for a "Twin Power" design, as it claims on the front, where's that second Power Transformer???? :scratch2: Should I put out an APB?? :music:

The "Twin Power" claim is somewhat true... It uses two secondaries on a common transformer and it uses two FWB rectifiers and separate filters for each channel, much like how Marantz (and others) claimed "Dual Power" for their monster receivers.

But you're right that h/k originally applied that labeling to receivers that had two transformers. During the early 1980’s they would also apply this label to some of the X80 series receivers that used a single, dual secondary transformer. By the time the PM660 was made, and later, they reverted to applying that badge only to units with two physical transformers.
 
Last edited:
I've got a Sansui Z-3000, which closely approximates the looks of the Z-9000, but without the pesky benefits of even passable sound. But it's ugly in an ugly way, a digital way.
I think Rulerboyz will back me up on this one, that the Kenwood KR-4140, with its too-tall face, black knobs on silver, the crowning centerpiece of a slider balance control snugged under 5 big square white muting/loudness buttons, leaves it stuck in 3rd gear.
But it's going nowhere.
 
I like the looks of those HKs, I had a HK450, very good receiver. My vote would go to the Sony STR-V5. I owned one, in spite of it's looks, it is a good recever. Or maybe the Pioneer SX-6. I've owned one of those too. Fugly
 
This is the first Galaxy Commander I have seen. And having seen it, I wish I could revert to my pre-Galaxy Commander innocence. :D Nothing personal, since I guess somebody had to own one. In line with Mattybumpkin's comment, perhaps the backside is more appealing than the side we have seen.
 
drspiff said:
This is the first Galaxy Commander I have seen. And having seen it, I wish I could revert to my pre-Galaxy Commander innocence. :D Nothing personal, since I guess somebody had to own one. In line with Mattybumpkin's comment, perhaps the backside is more appealing than the side we have seen.
You're right, somebody had to own one, but not too many; my KR-1000 is only s/n #16. Goofy looking, yes, but with an impressive feature set and good sound at a conservative 120 wpc rating (700 watts power consumption). Now, if only I can find a service manual for mine to fix the lights behind the flowchart display and align it.

- JP
 
Back
Top Bottom