• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Butt Ugliest Receiver Ever???

My vote goes to the MCS 3125. Don't get me wrong, this receiver is one of my all time favorites. Awesome build and sound quality, but to me it is just plain ugly.

Bill from Indy


Ah.... :scratch2: ..... It gives me a headache to look at it. Is it test equipment for a nuclear bomb test?

attachment.php
 
Dang, I just threw mine out. I bought an electronic label maker. Design by committee. Nah. If anything someone took some time to make a logical layout for the controls unlike most receivers that just seem to throw them wherever. Also, after using mine for some time at a height that most place preamps and tuners, it actually has a more human form factor. The contol labeling is easier to read from above and pushing down with the finger is easier than pushing forward where nails can get int he way, not that that is a factor for me but it is for my wife.

It is different, it is unconventional, it is not for everyoe but if you like a sensitive tuner, a unit that subjectively is under rated in terms of power and makes a statement, they are a defintie consideration. I'm not a high power receiver person but if I fell across a 501 locally, I'd probably get it.
 
Ugliest? Well the vintage Marantz 22xx series receivers look terrible IMO

That was a joke of course. :D

Serious now, I always disliked the look of BPC gear when its turned off. Blank displays, with no character or soul at all.
 
Thanks PM. I have a friend who is a graphic artss person who is willing to make a template of the markings and repaint then with an epoxy based paint. The marks under the volume control seem to be worn off almost everyone of these units I've ever seen other than when they were new.
 
My vote goes there too !!

My vote goes to the MCS 3125. Don't get me wrong, this receiver is one of my all time favorites. Awesome build and sound quality, but to me it is just plain ugly.

Bill from Indy

I have a couple of MCS receivers and they work great. One ahs the best AM tuner I own. The other is a great work of Art Deco Buck Rogers fun and it works great too (MCS 3245).

But the one shown is the ugliest MCS made, and it runs the other uglies down and stomps on them :)

By comparison the JVC is kinda cool in an Apollo Moon lander 1960s hi-tek sort of a style :)
 
Yeah the JVC is not bad.Would even be quite attractive in the right setup.The MCS well I think we have a winner.Every other "ugly" rig I could live with but not that.If it sounded well I would have to disguise it or camoflouge it.
 
Great post , but my eyes are watering.... :tears: does any one have some heathkit photos???? now thats ugly!!!
 
MCS-3125 LEDs

So tell me, what was the purpose of the LEDs? Did they show a true spectrum analyzer, or were they just a display of the knob settings for the EQ?
 
The one that started this whole thread is really beautiful IMO. But if the OP wants to trade for this JVC, I'm game! :banana:

This receiver is the one I'm using most at the moment. Bought a few more things, but not in a position to swap out too much right now. Not a great picture, but I give you the JVC - RX315
 

Attachments

  • JVC-RX315.jpg
    JVC-RX315.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 50
Great post , but my eyes are watering.... :tears: does any one have some heathkit photos???? now thats ugly!!!

Here is a pic of some of my Heathkit stuff. I think it is actually fairly attractive.
 

Attachments

  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 60
Some would say it's my Harman Kardon hk670i.

In defense of this much maligned Receiver, I must say that for 60 wpc the four 10,000 uF filter caps are a nice touch, as is the 4 Gang tuner. The circuit boards are "clean" and there is ample heatsinking. However for a "Twin Power" design, as it claims on the front, where's that second Power Transformer???? :scratch2: Should I put out an APB?? :music:

It's hard to believe that this was h/k's TOTL Receiver during the "Power Wars". Rather than pack as many buttons and features in as possible, h/k went the opposite direction. However, ugly as it is, the big tuning scale makes it super easy to dial in stations and the oddball stying does grow on you after awhile, since it simply looks like nothing else out there.

It has some interesting little design details, like the huge Signal Quality Meter/Multipath Meter and the Center Tuning LED atop the station indicator, the dual Red LEDS atop the Power Button (why?) and the Red LED showing when either of the Tape Monitors are activated.

And, frankly, the sound quality from the DC Ampifier is pretty AMAZING. In fact, I'd say it's the most impressive 60 wpc Receiver I've heard.

So, it makes a great "Q Ship" Receiver. It takes pride of ownership in a completely different direction!

Is this the ugliest or can you top it??? Please post pics as proof!

I would say it looks groovy. Who cares, as long as it works.:music:
 
Back
Top Bottom