• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Butt Ugliest Receiver Ever???

Uglier than thou's

I don't have the coolest speakers, the most outlandish listening room, most refined mono block amp or even the most understanding spouse, but I do have a truely ugly amp. My JVC JR- S400 is so ugly I didin't even recognize it as an amp when I first spotted it in the salvage shop. In fact, the beast is so strange looking that the staff at the junk store put it in with the old computer equipment. Any way, as goofy as it looks it sounds great and has a really good FM tuner as well. :music:
 

Attachments

  • JVC.jpg
    JVC.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 386
I thought the Galaxy Commander was ugly, until I saw the Grundig.

The Galaxy commander is a classy work of art compared with that putrid POS. :puke:
 
Y'all are only knocking the Galaxy Commander out of jealousy. Of that much I'm now certain. :D

- JP
 
Some people say Ernie Lombardi was a pretty ugly receiver. Hall of Fame receiver at that.

psd_bhf_ErnieLombardi_lg.jpg
 
My vote goes to the MCS 3125. Don't get me wrong, this receiver is one of my all time favorites. Awesome build and sound quality, but to me it is just plain ugly.

Bill from Indy
 

Attachments

  • 3125.JPG
    3125.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 548
Anyone remember the Superscope R-310? Pink dial lighting! :yuck:
Tom
 

Attachments

  • SuperscopeR-310.jpg
    SuperscopeR-310.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 350
The Grundig gets my vote. OMG ....how ugly can a receiver get !! I thought some of the 80's Kenwood , Pioneer stuff looked bad but I was wrong.


MattFLA
 
OvenMaster said:
Anyone remember the Superscope R-310? Pink dial lighting! :yuck:
Tom

OvenMaster -- That's one of my other picks. I just try to imagine what was going on at the product development meeting where the execs at Superscope decided that their entire lineup, with one or two exceptions, would have the "magenta" display....................
 
Last edited:
Bill said:
My vote goes to the MCS 3125. Don't get me wrong, this receiver is one of my all time favorites. Awesome build and sound quality, but to me it is just plain ugly.

Bill from Indy

I thinks it's delightful!!! Still looking to add one to my collection.
 
Yeah MCS is pretty bad.

Also, and I might be alone on this one, but I think the Sansui Pure Power G- series of receivers are eyesores. Shame because apparently they sound excellent.

I love the styling of the 9090DB and its brothers.
 
The big G's, when they came out, WERE ugly as sin. I think time has been kinder to them, and they've taken on a nostalgic hue that softens the ugly a bit.
 
The MCS gets my vote out of all receivers shown so far. Yes, even the Grundig. It was close, though.

BTW, that photo of the Grundig probably explains why Grundig is so seldom mentioned by posters on this forum. ;)
 
The Grundig 1020 is prettier in real life than the photo, just unconventional. That little 250 of mine makes it look like Marilyn Monroe. I can not believe what is being mentioned here as ugly. Even the little Superscope that is really nice other than the hue of the lighting is not immune and the G series, early Kenwoods, and MCS. Sounds like we're all ready to dump out of vintage and move to the black plastic pieces. I have noticed that NOT mentioned have been the Scotts, Fishers and Sherwoods from during the US production period, unless I just missed them. I would have thought they'd have been on the list, though not by me since I really like their looks.
 
I must agree with the MCS being ugly. I have a 3125 and it does not look like a Pioneer[best looking] but it does sound great. To me it is toss up between MCS[all] and Sansui[most].

Tank
 
Let's not forget Bose or Bose Denmark (B&O). Is that B&O a receiver or a telephone ansering machine?

Though, as Bose bashing/joking aside, I would not mind having one of those receivers on my workbench for a minuet.
 

Attachments

  • bo.jpg
    bo.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 451
  • bose_f.jpg
    bose_f.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 331
  • bose_bk.jpg
    bose_bk.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 195
  • bosereceiver2.jpg
    bosereceiver2.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 273
  • bosereceivercu2cd.jpg
    bosereceivercu2cd.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 233
  • bosereceivercu4bk.jpg
    bosereceivercu4bk.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 163
Back
Top Bottom