• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thorens TD124 start up time

Register to hide this ad
You need to disassemble and lube the motor, change the belt and make sure the drive puck hasn't become polished on the edge. I was thinking just over 1 revolution to come up to speed. My past TD 111 and 121 came up to speed at or about 3/4 of a revolution. My current 125 Takes 3 revolutions, but its a totally different breed.
 
Absolutely, a motor rebuild is essential for top performance. After 50 years, it gets pretty gunked up in there.

I had some serious speed drift from my TD-124 until I had the motor serviced. Now I only have to adjust the pitch control every once in a while.
 
2.754489 seconds!

Original everything.

Seriously, less than 3 seconds from cold-start.

And yes, original everything (motor too)!

:D
 
I give mine a manual spin. Can't afford a rebuild and if I dared a rebuild myself, I am sure half the parts would end up in the :thmbsp:kids legos.
 
A rebuild is much simpler and quicker than you might think. I have some screws and nuts which I'd be happy to send you for free - just drill out the rivets, get some naptha or other solvent, and some motor oil, and you're 90% there. Soak the felts, bake the bearings, oil it up, and reassemble. There are a number of guides and discussions online, and we'd be happy to walk you through it.

I'm sure Campbell does a better job than I did, but my rebuild cost me about $1.67 (and I had a great time doing it).
 
damn guys- thanks for the feedback. I'm going to start saving my pennies now!

A rebuild is much simpler and quicker than you might think. I have some screws and nuts which I'd be happy to send you for free - just drill out the rivets, get some naptha or other solvent, and some motor oil, and you're 90% there. Soak the felts, bake the bearings, oil it up, and reassemble. There are a number of guides and discussions online, and we'd be happy to walk you through it.

I'm sure Campbell does a better job than I did, but my rebuild cost me about $1.67 (and I had a great time doing it).

I considered doing the work myself, but I was nervous about drilling out the rivets and rebalancing the motor, having never done something like that before. I paid too much for the Thorens to risk screwing something up.
 
I hear you. I actually wasn't responding to you, although I see where you would think that. I was responding to the "I can't afford a pro build, and I can't do it on my own." I steer well clear of the "that's too expensive for me, therefore it can't be worth it" line of reasoning, which seems to pop up with some regularity here. So if that's the way it came across, it was certainly unintended.

I hadn't rebuilt a motor either prior to this. As near as I can tell, aligning the motor consisted of tightening the case halves to the point where you can still knock them around, and then firing up the motor, listening through a stethoscope while it spins, and knocking on the case until you get it as quiet as possible. Does someone like jim have a better ear and more experience? Sure. Is it worth the money? Completely up to the purchaser. I was, and am, happy with mine, and it was a good learning experience. I felt that if I truly buggered it up, I could always have someone like him parachute in and get it right. I also paid $300 for my 124, so I didn't have that much stress.

Incidentally, I have about a 1-rotation startup.

I considered doing the work myself, but I was nervous about drilling out the rivets and rebalancing the motor, having never done something like that before. I paid too much for the Thorens to risk screwing something up.
 
I hear you. I actually wasn't responding to you, although I see where you would think that. I was responding to the "I can't afford a pro build, and I can't do it on my own." I steer well clear of the "that's too expensive for me, therefore it can't be worth it" line of reasoning, which seems to pop up with some regularity here. So if that's the way it came across, it was certainly unintended.

No no, I didn't think you were responding to me... I was just offering my reasons for not doing it myself. :yes:

I felt that if I truly buggered it up, I could always have someone like him parachute in and get it right.

Good point.

I also paid $300 for my 124, so I didn't have that much stress.

:yikes:
 
I also give mine a manual spin before firing it up. I just figure less strain on the motor has to be a good thing. So while I don't know how long it takes to get to speed, I will say that it settles in at slightly below speed and creeps up to speed over the first side (about 20 minutes). It's not really noticeable unless you're watching the dots go by, but the motor has never been touched and I'm about to rebuild it, so I'm expecting an improvement...
 
I will say that it settles in at slightly below speed and creeps up to speed over the first side (about 20 minutes).

This is normal behavior, and is even mentioned in the owner's manual. The oil in the motor needs a little time to warm up and thin out.

I usually switch my TD-124 on when I first get home, so that it's all warmed up when I'm ready to sit down and listen, or I listen to a CD while it's warming up.
 
Back
Top Bottom