• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Craigs audio scam in Salisbury MD????

bhebbel

Well-Known Member
There is a guy is Salisbury MD who has been advertising a Pioneer SX-1980, a Sansui 9090B and a Marantz 2270. They all look perfect and they are all lower priced than they should be. The guy's name is Jeff. I spoke to him and sent a deposit on the pioneer. When I sent him $50 on paypal he took down the ad. I'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow night. He posted the ad again today.

It's smelling like a scam. Has anyone else dealt with him? He said the gear belonged to his father who passed away. If it is a scam the guy is a hell of a BS artist. I talked to him for over 30 minutes before I decided to offer him $50 for a deposit on paypal.

He is offering to ship items to people as well.
 
Register to hide this ad
never send anyone money on cl :nono:

quite simply, you were taken.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

if the seller doesn't deliver (99% chance he won't) you might be able to get your money back through paypal. unless you sent it as a "gift" to avoid the transaction fee. then you are SOL.

Edit:
That specific pioneer sold for over $2500 on ebay in june 2013. Scammer simply copied the ebay photos from the sale http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-SX-1280-Stereophonic-Receiver-INCREDIBLE-/161050506092

Chances are "jeffrey" lives in nigera.
 
Last edited:
Good news is you used Paypal, hopefully w/Credit Card
Regards.
Jim
 
I know that I'm probably our $50 but I at least wanted to warn anyone else in the AK community that might have seen the ad. He was asking $350 for a Pioneer Sx-1980. To good to be true?? Apparently.

He said a bunch of people were contacting him.

Caveat Emptor.
 
I did use paypal with a credit card. He insisted that i send the $50 as with the "friends and family" option to minimize the fees. His paypal account is unverified. I looked up the address that he gave me in Salisbury on google. It shows a 900 sq foot rancher house. Not exactly the place that I would be using Klipsh Belle speakers that he claims to own......
 
Did you set up a meet for tomorrow? Do you have the contact information? Try to show up if you have the address, ready to dial 911.
 
I did use paypal with a credit card. He insisted that i send the $50 as with the "friends and family" option to minimize the fees. His paypal account is unverified. I looked up the address that he gave me in Salisbury on google. It shows a 900 sq foot rancher house. Not exactly the place that I would be using Klipsh Belle speakers that he claims to own......

Sorry you did that, I would recommend you always add the funds to cover the fees, and if they bulk you know there is a real problem. Paypal is out of the picture, but you just need to contact your credit card company to cancel the transaction.
Regards,
Jim
 
When he reposted the ad around noon today I immediately did an image search and found the same pic of a Pioneer SX-1280 in someone's kitchen at another site. That was when I smelled a rat. To late for my $50. I can deal with that but I would really feel stupid if I drove 3 hours from Washington DC to Salisbury Md, knocked on a door to fin out that no one was there named Jeff.
 
Last edited:
That's an awful lot of red flags you overlooked and this doesn't sound good at all. If it was me I'd be doing everything in my power to stop payment on that transaction somehow. Good luck to you.
 
There is one born every minute........

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, if you're lucky you get your money back, if not its a lesson learned.
 
Did you set up a meet for tomorrow? Do you have the contact information? Try to show up if you have the address, ready to dial 911.
"Jeffrey" is not answering the phone. The address is 107 Johnson Dr. in Salisbury MD.If you google this address it's a 900 sq foot rancher. It is not the house that he described to me on the phone. He stayed on the phone with me for over 30 mins. I was suspicious but the BS was so good I fell for it

I just posted a "beware of scam Pioneer sx-1980, Sansui 9090B and Marantz 2270" listing to warn people.

I feel foolish for losing $50 but it could have been a lot worse.

I'll report it to craigs but there is probably nothing they can do.

When something on Craigs looks to good to be true it probably is.

I did pick up a pair of large Advent 5012/W speakers with near perfect cabinets for free on Craigs about two weeks ago. I got lucky on that one.
 
Never ever ever ever.. did I say ever? send anyone on CL money... IN PERSON DEAL ONLY... BTW, never send money to anyone for a CL ad...
 
Thanks for the warning! I was wondering if these deals were legitimate or not.

I called and emailed "Jeff" a couple days ago regarding the Marantz, but never heard back.
 
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Most of the time, I get NO reply from CL-sellers to my inquiries, or maybe a single word Yes/No answer (guy in Monroeville, PA adverts in CL a whole list of speakers, and if he bothers to reply at all as to "do you still have the Advent to sell as I am interested" - you get a Yes, and nothing else...)
 
Last edited:
They even try to scam on rental houses...a few years back I was looking for a rental and they wanted me to send all this personal information to Africa as they were missionaries
 
Back
Top Bottom