• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Craigs audio scam in Salisbury MD????

Guess I got lucky!

Saw a Crown PSL2 and Crown PS400 amp in an Indiana CL ad. Wrote the guy and found they came from an original Crown employee and were both nearly new in original boxes. We worked out a price, I sent him Paypal payment (but to his business address with normal "purchase" charges). He shipped promptly but found out the UPS store screwed him on re-packing both original boxes inside one box that "chained" as oversize and he told me he'd spent about fifty-bucks more than the shipping estimate. They arrived and were so nice I sent him fifty more bucks for the trouble.

Guess I'm too trusting?
 
Don't bet on this guy being in, or anywhere near Salsbury Md. These same adds are showing up in NC, Norfolk, Boston, Chicago, Portland, and Maryland that I know of and very likely more. The guy told me his name was Jeff Neill when I inquired about a KR 9050 he listed in Norfolk. The only thing I see that has saved anyone dealing with him is 1-USE PAYPAL, and 2-SPECIFY THE ITEM IN THE PAYPAL NOTES. When he sees the item in the note he knows paypal can then link the specific item to him and he immediately refunds the money. I have seen this happen a few times in different postings about his scam. One guy actually paid him 2 times, both were refunded within 25 minutes of payment, and both times the item was listed in the paypal transaction notes, funny thing was that one refund was from Jeff Neill, the other was from an entirely different name, so he's using multiple names as well. I reported him and he took a listing down in Norfolk, but his listings are all over,,,,,,,,,, no telling where he actually is, so I wouldn't take off to MD. expecting to actually find him there.
 
Isn't paypal linked to a bank account? Also, how is it that law enforcement lets this fraud continue?
 
Sending money via PayPal is the safest/smartest way to handle a transaction like this provided you don't try and cheat the system by sending a gift to friends or family to avoid paying fees.

Paying the fee is like buying insurance and would have provided some recourse, up to and including a refund in most instances.

If you're in such a rush to make a deal that you throw caution to the wind then maybe you deserve what you get.

As I understand it, if you buy with paypal as Goods and Services, the seller is charged a fee by paypal. If you buy with paypal and classify as Gift then you are charged a fee IF you do not have the money in your paypal account.

When you purchase from this scumbag with Gift, there is no product or service to link the transaction to, so very unlikely paypal will come after the scumbag seller. If however, you classify as Gift AND note on the transaction at paypal the specifics of the purchase then they can tie said scumbag to and exact item and in the cases I've been able to find he has promptly returned the money every time. One guy reported that he had actually been given a second paypal address to make the payment to, and it was mentioned that "there was no need for any notes, to save time?"

I may be wrong, but it appears the notes are the saver here,, without them the transaction just looks to be a "gift" and so say bye bye to your money.
 
Having read and reread of what happened and digested it a bit more I'm inclined to believe this is a case of human greed getting in the way of common sense. You're obviously not a stupid person and you thought you were taking advantage of someone but instead got taken yourself. You bypassed lots of red flags, got what you sent for and "Jeff" got paid a paltry $50 for his half hour's work of story telling.

100.00 an hour, tax free? wow :thumbsdn:
 
I have bought two guitars from the states (I'm in Canada) using paypal and a credit card in private sales totalling over $5000. Everything went smoothly. I am now waiting for a third guitar from another private party worth $2000. I have been tracking it and it should be here this week. I haven't used Craig list for these, I found the listings on an Acoustic Guitar forum.

I did buy one guitar on Kijiji (like Craig's list), a very nice Taurus model 56 guitar. For that one I paid for it in person as it was a relatively local sale (100 miles away). Perhaps I have been lucky (crossing my fingers for the last guitar on its way).
 
"If however, you classify as Gift AND note on the transaction at paypal the specifics of the purchase then they can tie said scumbag to and exact item and in the cases I've been able to find he has promptly returned the money every time."


Doesn't this totally go against paypal policy?
So if you admit you were trying to bypass their fee they will still reimburse you?
Or am I misinterpreting your post?
 
"If however, you classify as Gift AND note on the transaction at paypal the specifics of the purchase then they can tie said scumbag to and exact item and in the cases I've been able to find he has promptly returned the money every time."


Doesn't this totally go against paypal policy?
So if you admit you were trying to bypass their fee they will still reimburse you?
Or am I misinterpreting your post?

Not exactly sure I understand the question, but,,,,,,, a gift untied to a particular item can be claimed as just that, a gift, by a self respecting scumbag anyway.

Paypal doesn't care which party pays the fee.
 
I started this thread in January 2015 and based on the date of the most recent posting, this guy is still at it. It looks like he has has tempted (and burned) a few AKer's. He would not continue doing this if he wasn't making money scamming people. He would go figure out a different scam.

Based on the number of ads/length of time/continued interaction with people that respond to the ad I suspect that he is making lot of money with this scam.

Keep flagging him.
 
Back
Top Bottom