• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speakers made that used a single full-range driver?

thedelihaus

Nocturnal transmissions
What companies used a single full-range driver in their designs? Along with your answers, if you can, please include when the model you name were made.

I imagine there were many early hifi speakers that used a single driver, as well as console units. And many DIY speaker builders using the RS 40-1354s. And of course, the mini systems, executive systems, and microsystems. But what about 70's or 80's full-range driver speakers?
 
Register to hide this ad
Harry Olson's LC-1a for RCA is one of the more famous attempts at a large fullrange professional-quality loudspeaker, and a very good one at that. Circa 1945 for the original design, early '50s for the final tweaking. I used one in the mid-70s, and it's possible RCA was still making them then.
 
Here in Australia in the 60s and 70s a common speaker was sold under several different brand names (Kriesler, Pye, HMV, and probably others), but they were all basically the same. A single Magnavox 8WR or Rola C8MX (which were basically interchangable) in a ported box. The exact dimensions escape me at the moment, but they were all the same size. Only the finish, grill cloth and badges differed.

The Magnavox 8WR and Rola C8MX were both 8 inch drivers with 2 inch whizzer cones and pleated paper surrounds. Early versions have AlNiCo magnets, later versions are ferrite. AlNiCo versions are usually 15 ohm, ferrite 8 ohm, but some oddball ones show up (3.5 ohm Rolas and 27 ohm Magnavoxes).

I find the high end rolled off too early, they do need a super tweeter. In the slim line cabinets they are usually found in they lack bass, but they improve dramatically in a larger cabinet. They supposedly work well in a transmission line, but I have never heard them in one.
 
Bose 901 (equalized of course), Ohm F (walsh driver), Large Electrostatics (Acoustat, Quad, etc.)

I realize this probably isn't what you meant. Just talking in my sleep.
 
Many Electrovoice speaker pairs and single units incorporated fullrange drivers into their designs. These had whizzer's for the highs but were single cone drivers up to 15". Im listening to a pair of SP15B's in 3.5 cu-ft Altec cabs with open backs as I write this. I have a pair of SP15's (the big Daddy's! not the B's) in for a re-cone and should be done by the time I get back from my vacation. Those are going into EV Regency cabinets. I have no idea what Im going to do with them after they are completed. Way, Way too big for my room but Im going to sneak them in when my wife isnt looking and see how long it takes for her to notice. :naughty:

SP8
SP8b
SP12
SP12b
SP15
SP15b

http://hifilit.com./hifilit/Electro-Voice/116-4.jpg

Same by University, Jensen, Wolverine (EV), Utah and Quam/Nichols to name a few. Most I have come across have been from the 50's-60's.

RC
 
Last edited:
blue_lateral said:
Tannoy (UK) dual concentrics.

Sorry, but I have do disagree.
Tannoy´s Dual concentics, just like the name says, are 2 way units, with the tweeter mounted in front of the woofer´s voice coil, just like KEF Uni-Q units.
They even have a crossover, so not really full range drivers in the strict sense of the word.

Jorge
 
In the mid 60's Harmon Kardon made some bookshelf speakers with a single 6" driver. Sorry, I don't remember the model number. Typical walnut veneer and brown grill cloth.
 
Advent made some small, sealed bookshelf speakers in the 70's with a single 5.25". Realistic had the Solo-103 in their line for nearly two decades that used the famous Fostex F-103 (alnico) and FE-103 (ferrite).
 
Although these are discontinued 2001 models, I have a pair of solid cherry, fullrange single-driver transmission-line bookshelf monitors from the now-defunkt Loth-X of Germany. The "Amaze" (from their Ion Series) have a Stephen Stamm custom-designed 6" Fostex tri-coned treated paper driver with whizzer, an aluminum alloy phase plug, a cloth surround, and a beefy alnico magnet. Bass response only drops to 55Hz so a subwoofer is in order, but they handle the highs brilliantly (no need for any supertweeter). With a tube amp, the mids are to die for they're that good! And I love their dynamic "in-your-face" horn-like forwardness reminiscent of good horn loudspeakers, and their sensitivity of 96dB @ 8 ohms make 'em great monitors for the SET crowd!

Sweet! Not old, but sweet nonetheless!
 
And there's the now discontinued Moth Cicada speaker sytem. The drivers and cabinet plans are still available thru Speaker City. Nice drivers in a low-rent Lowther sort of way.
 
Last edited:
Vintage Additions

British:

Wharfedale Super 8, 10 & 12*
Hartley 215 10" *
Goodman's Axiom 80
Stentorians

American:

Altec Biflex 8,12 & 15"
Bozak B800Bc 8"
JBL LE8, D208, D123, D130 & D131
Stephens FR80, 120 &150
University Diffusicone 8 & 12"

* Back in the 50's & 60's many considered the Wharfedale Super 12 & Hartley 10" as the finest full range units available; they are still rather impressive. :scratch2: Dave
 
The original Walsh driver is worth mentioning again-- there are not too many fullrange single-driver systems that did so well with so few apologies necessary.

Don't forget Jordan
 
I will second Tafsound's opinion on the Hartley 10". I have the Hartley 220 (10 ") as the midrange in my Hartley Concertmaster. I have used it alone as a full range and would say it is the best full range I have yet to hear.
 
Back
Top Bottom