• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

1152DC problem child

I had an 1180DC a few years ago and couldn't troubleshoot the phono section, so I replaced it with a new board. I don't remember which one I used. Another alternative is to bypass the phono section and use the phono connections as high level line inputs.
 
I'd hang in there. You've got alot of work into it so far. From some of the later posts, sounds to me like it could possibly be a grounding issue. I would ensure all grounds are clean and tight. Make sure there are no broken wires anywhere and I'd go in for a second or third/fourth cleaning of all front panel switches. The selector and source switches on these front panels are horrible.
I would also try some silclear in the board edge pin connections just to help rule out an intermittent pin connection.

Before parting it out, I would shelf it for a couple weeks and take a break from it. Sometimes I find stepping away from a unit for a while allows me to think more clearly when working on it again.

Hope all is well!
 
It's gotta be a component if it was dead quiet for 15 hours of play, then started with the noise again. I know it's not in the phono stage, I isolated the phono stage from the pre, and the noise is still there.

Just seems that these amps are poorly designed, with the upside down preamp board and smokin' hot resistors cooking the relay board. Too bad, since it was great sounding when it worked.
 
Yes, I feel like they were not well designed in terms of long term stability. But they really do sound nice when working properly. Good luck.
 
Back
Top Bottom