• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

14" receivers

Ivanthetoler

New Member
Hey everyone! I'm currently in the middle of retromodding this vintage Canadian stereo cabinet. I replace the internal record player with my RT85 Fluance, but I'm having trouble finding a 14" receiver to replace the stock one with. Any ideas? Pic provided.

qopozj3bb4ma1.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Teac made a whole line of good quality, narrow components. Also look at mini systems from Denon. They'll probably be narrower than 14" but presumably you can make a wood face plate to fill in the gaps.

I was going to suggest the Harman/Kardon HK740, but that's about 15" wide.
 
There was once a whole market niche of ~11-12" systems. Technics SE-HD350 is one that comes to mind. Google is your friend here.

New receivers are often non-standard sizes, cheap, and very small. They will certainly outperform the built-in OEM unit.
 
I can't say for certain, but I think the Harman Kardon Two-Thirty & later 230A are about that width. I have a 230A, but it's stashed away. I also had a small Kenwood, KR-33, that's about 14'' wide.
 
I had a big one similar to yours, I thought the reciever was pretty nice even though it was dated. Some of these were big money back in the 60's, you may want to restore the original unit, it looks cool and probably has enough juice to get pretty loud.
 
If your using the original speaker components, you won't need a lot of power.
10 to 20 wpc would do it. Those baby Marantz recievers tend to sound decent.
 
Last edited:
I had picked up a solid state Clairtone this past summer, it was free on the side of the road. Cabinet was well made and in good shape, but the sound was lacking. It ended up going to someone who was going to repurpose the cabinet. I think I still have the receiver, all germanium and not that well made.
 
Last edited:
AM7QIGR
I found a Kenwood that fit!
 
I had a KA-2002 for awhile, ended up going to someone who was putting a system together. It's a nice sounding little amp.
 
Back
Top Bottom