• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

$15 Radio Shack Amp that kicks - the Accurian

I disgust myself.

Just went out to the nearest RS a block away. Out of stock. Did a search, another one 3 blocks away has two. Go there, bought both, manager is glad to get rid of them to "free up shelf space." These things are discontinued, no new stock ever again, so if you want one, find out where they are and get them now. Out of some 50 stores that came up on the screen, there were only 3 or 4 stores showing stock.

I'd expand on how dirty I feel buying something I don't need nor want, but I go through this every yard sale weekend, junk stacked ceiling high in the basement. AK is the wrong place to ask for sympathy, though, here its actually something to be admired...
 
True...I picked up on it from his post awhile back. Funny, the post after his original post was from Snade. Guess he didn't key in on it at the time.....:D

Right, I think I looked at the unit on the RS web site some time back, but on their site it looks like it is about 5 inches wide and should only cost 15 bucks, so I passed on the thought of buying one.

When I saw Starwman's better photo of it, I had to pick one up.

But don't go crazy people, it's not that great. Agree with Robie, the high-end is not smooth. Hope it improves with some play. Lot of fun to tinker with, tho.

Cheers, Snade
 
I'd expand on how dirty I feel buying something I don't need nor want, but I go through this every yard sale weekend, junk stacked ceiling high in the basement. AK is the wrong place to ask for sympathy, though, here its actually something to be admired...

Boy, have I got some stuff to sell you then. :)
 
It truly is a great sounding amp, and especially for only $15.00 clams. I am especially proud of the way it looks with some shiny metal knobs and big feet added (robbed from broken Pioneer Receiver). I had it hooked up to apair of watt hungry Advent bookshelf speakers and it did ok.
 
It truly is a great sounding amp, and especially for only $15.00 clams. I am especially proud of the way it looks with some shiny metal knobs and big feet added (robbed from broken Pioneer Receiver). I had it hooked up to apair of watt hungry Advent bookshelf speakers and it did ok.

Would be great to see a photo of any mod like this (hint, hint).
 
This sounds about as good as my ZAPCO amp, the previous audio "find." That toroidal transformer is a mother, though, isn't it? The unit is much heavier overall than I anticipated. I am getting a buzz when the unit is near dimmers, though. I like it, good deal.
 
I wonder if this could be as big as the T-amp phenomenen. It looks pretty well built for something so cheap, I'd never have expected them to put a good-sized toroidal transformer in there.

Are the Insignias sensitive speakers? (sorry, I'm not terribly clued-up on brands)[/QUOTE

Do a search on Insignia. They are a Best Buy store brand selling cheap Chinese gear. They put out a set of bookshelf speakers using a 6.5" coax driver. Carbon fiber woofer cone and silk dome tweeter in a nice looking cab. They stared them at 39.99 and once people found out how good they are the price went up. There was a lot of hype just like this amp.
 
Last edited:
I picked up a couple and I'm already thinking about my options for improving performance, despite not turning it on yet. I'm thinking of bypassing tone controls and the volume control if it's not too difficult.
 
Picked mine up for 14.97 (and no tax!) but had to go to Delaware to get it (actually only 23 miles one way and had business there!):banana:

Did the mod and I am thinking of incorporating another one. How about adding a preamp out using the original connector and opening up a spot through the back! Got to do some digging for the parts but VERY doable.

Neat litle amp.

Yank
 
After reading Snade's post, I called a local RS store and they had 2 in stock. Immediately, a quiver of electronic lust passed through me. I have been a good boy for months, never entering my favorite haunts;Ebay;Goodwill;St. Vincent. I couldn't wait to get out of the house! And as I drove toward the store, 4 miles away, I kept saying to myself " I wasn't going there" but the car steered its self to the location of the treasure. There they were-- just waiting for me! I bought them and brought them-- home.
 
I have integrated mine with a pair of Boston Acoustics HD-7's and my home computer. For under 15.00 the thing kicks ass. I might pick another one up as a spare. Funniest part is for 2 dollars more you can buy the extended warranty! :banana:

Yank
 
Would be great to see a photo of any mod like this (hint, hint).

I have a crappy camera, but you can get the idea of how it sets it off. These are knobs from an SX-750. The volume knob is larger on purpose, mainly 'cause I only had 3 small ones. :D
 
Last edited:
I have a crappy camera, but you can get the idea of how it sets it off. These are knobs from an SX-750. The volume knob is larger on purpose, mainly 'cause I only had 3 small ones. :D


That looks very cool. I'm looking for some old, stored receivers right now.

Thanks. Snade
 
Back
Top Bottom