• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

18T split/knurled shafts, I have several/many potentiometer's that have broken shafts.

chuck opens to 10mm and a chuck can be had for the tailstock and its $22.89. no its not bridgeport or south bend quality by far but it wiould sure beat hell out of any eyeball drill job on the replacement spline
 
Quote John:
chuck opens to 10mm and a chuck can be had for the tailstock and its $22.89. no its not bridgeport or south bend quality by far but it wiould sure beat hell out of any eyeball drill job on the replacement spline



John
I’m visiting my brother this weekend and I gave him the challenge. He’s on the same page you are.
Funny thing is, I saw a small Atlas lathe for $600 at an estate sale. It was late Saturday afternoon and still available. Usually the items are half price at that point but they were unwilling to lower it. I bet it was 20 years since it was last turned on. It needed work.
Had to pass on it.
Great ideas.
The dissembled images of the bass treble pots are for any curious members. I was one, and felt like we should see what’s inside. I don’t remember ever seeing one opened up.
 
Last edited:
well i used to know all about toy acquisition for adults. a lathe is one of those things that when you need one YOU REALLY NEED ONE and unless you are an amateur machinist and are passionate about it how many times a year would you use it?? and then it it sits and takes up space. you decide after stumbling over it for a few years to get rid of it and then two weeks later after its gone you need it! it never fails. my thought was to get the best possible job for the least amount of cash. the shaft i need to fix is almost impossible to find and i dont even have the radio yet. my days of pioneer repair are drawing to a close. and even old radios too. what ebay would ship for 60$ here 7 years ago now is over 300$ now. and the prices on flea bay even for derelicts is getting exorbitant
 
Last edited:
No idea how to accomplish this on the cheap, but it would be cool to wire EDM the needed tooth pattern in a piece of tool steel about 1/4" thick, then use a drill press (or other press) to push a piece of aluminum rod through the tool to create any length of splined shaft you needed.
 
The shafts are available. A smooth defect free repair process is in the works. We’re hoping to make an affordable tool that would work for the rebuilders or even someone with a few broken pots.
 
Shafts ordered. Coming from China
Process mostly nailed down.
Preliminary tool being made.
No images yet.
 
Last edited:
I wanted to update the forum with my pot potentiometer shaft repair jig.
It's set up to precisely shave the broken shaft to a consistent dimension and drill/tap the attaching 4-40 set screw.
Its designed to accept most or all the potentiometers that I would encounter.
Cutting the new splined/split T18 stock shafts is still something my brother has to do but we're working on another set of sized bushings to accomplish that process.
The new splined shafts cost around $4 and the set screws 12 cents. Cutting the damaged shaft and machining pot to accept the setscrew is only a five minute process.
Sizing the new shaft and machining process will be similar in labor time.
My original plan was to provide a repair service to the members, saving some expenses on buying doner or living with damaged potentiometers. That plan is still valid.
I believe the biggest cost for this service is going to be the shipping.

DSC07601.JPG


DSC07600.JPG

DSC07599.JPG

DSC07602.JPG

DSC07603.JPG
 
Last edited:
not trying to be a stinker but is it just the angle that seems to make it look off center? now that is as good as it gets. HOWEVER that jig cant be cheap to make so i i do see your point on the repair service angle
 
Last edited:
It’s dead center.
Your right about the jig. My brother and I trade Trades as it were.
The service is for members that see this post. I‘m not expecting a ton of work.
I had several pots that needed repair and thought a process that can be easily repeated would help me and others.
 
Back
Top Bottom