• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

1953 K-Horn - Central MO

Register to hide this ad
That's not a bad price. Out of my hobby price range though.

Columbia is toxcrusadr territory.

It's in Boonville, so it's about halfway between Columbia and Sedalia. An interested party from KC could make the trip in a pretty reasonable amount of time.
 
Is this another 2-way K-Horn? I can't really make out the details of the pictures. I've been trying to find a match for mine for ages. That's one long commute for me if it is.
 
Is this another 2-way K-Horn? I can't really make out the details of the pictures. I've been trying to find a match for mine for ages. That's one long commute for me if it is.

It looks like it, but I don't know when the switchover occurred.
 
The switchover supposedly happened in 1952, but this unit is supposedly 1953. However, this unit is a 2-way. I wonder if it has any of the other changes, like the switchover from the K-5-H to the K-5-J horn assembly?

I guess it is time to go to the source.

Does anyone know how to contact the Klipsch Library in Indianapolis to get specifics?
 
I spoke with the seller. This is a 1953 K-Horn. He states it is a 2-way, which means it must have been a "special" or the official history is wrong (last official 2-way was supposedly made in 1952), or perhaps this unit was modified. The horn driver is a University, and it does have the modified K-5-J horn assembly (which has a "506" rather than the "444" model number).

So it has nothing in common with mine, except that both are 2-way speakers, and both might have the same woofer (mine was modded with an un-documented 1953 Jensen), and both might have the same finish.

So one of these might be in for major modification. And if the other speaker has a 3-way crossover, then I guess I could modify both, as I have plenty of high frequency Jensen drivers I can add.

Seems like this K-Horn is causing me more potential problems than it actually solves. It sure is tough to pair up an old K-Horn with a somewhat close mate.
 
Back
Top Bottom