• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

2235 Transformer

Friends , Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears- and listen to my 2235 playing beautiful fm music. My inspiration you ask? RATM- Guerilla Radio's line- ah hell can't stop us now, that's what was playing when I flipped the switch and heard that infamous click.

I have OCD and when stuff doesn't work it drives me crazy, I won't stop until it works. So at around 9 I said to myself, how can a thermal fuse pop without heat? The glass fuse is in front of it, if something were to pop it would be the glass fuse first. So I tore the transformer apart again, I guess during all my messing about to get back together the blue lead came undone from the primary. I soldered it back in, triple checked everything, plugged it into the dim bulb and flipped the switch.The bulb glowed, went out and the "click" went on. SWEEEEET deal, hooked up a temp fm antenna, threw in a stereo bulb, 1 fuse bulb and listened to some zeppelin! Talk about a relief, I thought I was going crazyyyyy. So for the price of the amp and a $2 fuse it's now up and running, thanks to all for your feedback on this one.

fm-works perfect
meter- works perfect
am- works perfect
all button's work and zero static, i'm starting to believe the guy who sold it who told me it was a one owner unit that just stopped working one day.

Just some lights and i'm good to go!


powered.jpg
 
Last edited:
Great! Sometimes the obvious is not obvious. Glad you have it running. Get some bulbs, and then show 'er off in all her splendor when you have it buttoned up again.

Congrats!
 
Here you go, it cleaned up nice. Found a local Vietnamese guy who's been working on these for over 20 years. I called him and asked for lamps, went to his shop, he must of had a box of 1000 lamps! He's also working on finding me replacement loudness switch. As for the amp, it needed some serious adjustment on the amp side, the relay was kicking out at 1/4 volume. Once I adjusted it I can't turn it up past 1/2 for fear of getting the cops at my door. If I have some free time in the future i'll revellum the meter, it's a little green.


img2011110200194.jpg
 
i did suspect you had over looked something them thermal fuses like any other fuse will burn and corrode away over time like anything else it will find itself back into the earth for natural recycling .. like i say have fixed loads of transformers by sorting out the fuse
p.s modern flat panel tft or whatever you want to call it has fuses that are rated on the edge of the current being drawn so if brightness is up as in most default settings it will last just over warranty time ,,i cant wait till i can get a top tv that needs a fuse for free ..my one is one of the first but was free a fuse fixed it
 
I'll have to keep myeye out of for one. I once found a 17inch lcd monitor (when they weren't cheap) in the garbage and put $2 worth of caps into it, it's still connected to my server in the basement to this day. It amazes me what people throw away.

PS- and now I know what Nova 10's really sound like, I had them hooked up to my crappy yamaha amp, this 2235 really woke them up.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom