• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

2275 FM tuning meter aligment

All,

:banana:

Thanks a lot for your help. I have done the alignment successfully as per procedure given by Tom (Special thanks to him). Bamboo Skewer worked just fine this time but I do plan to order an alignment kit/set online.

Regards
Leo
 
Tune to a dead spot on the dial (just noise) and adjust L201 secondary (top core) to center the meter. Use a non-metalic tuning tool such as GC AS-9300 so you don't damage the core. Don't touch the primary (bottom core) unless you have the proper test equipment to do an alignment.

Tom

Is the procedure same for 2265 ?
 
This is an old thread but was useful for me to align the tuning meter on a 2275 I rebuilt. It was unclear after reading the thread how to access the top slug on the FM if transformer. On the 2275 it can be accesses via the access port labeled "FM-IFT2" Once I figured how to access it the alignment was straightforward, just followed the directions in this thread. I am attaching a picture of the IF access port for clarity/ Hope this helps others!
PXL_20220825_203007527.jpg
 
Last edited:
Once in a while I come into a thread that helps me out enormously. This was one of them. Thanks for everyone's input, especially Silversleep (for the procedure) and Richiem46 (who clarified where the slug was). I took a bamboo sharpened skewer and gently created enough friction to turn the core. It worked!
 
Tune to a dead spot on the dial (just noise) and adjust L201 secondary (top core) to center the meter. Use a non-metalic tuning tool such as GC AS-9300 so you don't damage the core. Don't touch the primary (bottom core) unless you have the proper test equipment to do an alignment.

By the way if the slug doesn't want to move, wet it with some alcohol and hopefully it will work loose.

It is the top core from the component side. The bottom core is the one you can access from the bottom side and is to be adjusted for lowest distortion which is why the advice to not touch it is valid unless you have a good audio oscillator and distortion analyzer. From experience this is usually never far off at all anyway.

Using a metal tool is very risky as it often breaks the ferrite slug. I use a set I got from DigiKey made by Aven. They are black antistatic although that property isn't needed. The DK part number is: 243-1016-ND.

The top of the coil is the end that faces up when the receiver sits on its feet.

If you use a metal tool, you will most likely break the core.

Once in a while I come into a thread that helps me out enormously. This was one of them.

This thread is an oldie but goodie - so I just wanted to add another success story: I found I had the exact same issue as the OP with a Marantz 2275 that I just recapped, the FM Signal meter had a large offset to the right when a station was tuned for Stereo reception. I used Tom's L201 adjustment procedure on it today with outstanding results. So many thanks to the original experts, Tom @catrafter and Randy @rBuckner, for sharing their expertise!
 
Back
Top Bottom