• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

2275 rebuild project

Finally got back into my rebuild yesterday. This project is taking WAY too long but life keeps getting in the way. Unemployment has complicated my life quite a bit. I finally got a desoldering gun (Hakko FR-300) and I've been having a LOT of fun learning how to use it. I'm in the final phase of this project and I'd like to finish it this weekend but a lot depends on how things go. Again, this is my first ever rebuild and I couldn't have done it without the kind assistance of Leestereo and all of the AK'ers who have helped via PM. So, for the newbies like me, here's my next installment. This time, I'm doing the (dreaded?) PS01 board. My mistakes....errr....."learning experiences"....might help other newbies. The biggest thing I learned this time was that these thin, solid core wires are NOT happy when you move them around too much!!

PS01
I knew that this board was going to be a bit of a hassle and Leestereo even advised me that recapping this one was "optional". But, I'm a glutton for punishment and I'm anxious to learn. Here's a view of the left side of the chassis with the amp module(s) removed. I needed to remove the Left amp mostly to make room for the upcoming recapping of the FM and AM boards. I removed the Right channel just to make the whole thing lighter. I loosened all the left side boards and the meter cluster in the hope that it would help me wiggle the PS01 board out, but that didn't help. For other newbies, the PS01 is the bottom front board and was not easily removed given all the wires attached to it. This board controls things like Dolby FM, Tape Monitors, Loudness, etc. So, I loosened it enough to get to the solder connections.

_DSC3175.jpg

Here are the five caps used on this board along with the Mouser inventory numbers:

- CS01 - Originally 4.7uF 35v / Now 4.7uF 50v (UPS1H4R7MDD1TD
- CS02 - (same as above)
- CS03 - (same as above)
- CS04 - Originally 10uF 35v / Now 10uF 50v (UPM1H100MDD)
- CS05 - (same as above)

Not very many parts, but a pain in the butt to get to. So, to continue my practice of "work on one board, then test it", I had planned to verify my work via the headphone jack. Newbie mistake.....there is NO output on the headphone jack if the 2275 amplifier modules are not installed. Do other models have headphone amps in them?

So, I got out my RCA male --> 1/8th inch female stereo adapter and plugged my headphones into the Pre-Out jacks where I heard audio....sort of. I heard a normal Right channel but the Left channel level had dropped noticeably on all Sources. I thumped and tapped all the boards that I had worked on as well as the other boards that were moved around but no changes were heard. I also discovered that my AM tuner was now dead. I quickly found the AM problem was due to my flexing the wire that attached to the bottom of the tuning capacitor. It had broken off so I resoldered it (gotta clean off that flux!!):

_DSC3195.jpg

Once I fixed the broken AM wire, I went searching for the source of my weak Left channel. I found it over on the other side of the receiver! Somewhere in my tugging and pulling, I had broken off the yellow wire on the TOP of the Left channel Volume pot. The blue wire next to it was still attached to the other channel so I was praying that this broken wire was the problem. It WAS! Those two wires go from the volume pots to the Loudness switch. That broken wire was enough to drop the level of the Left channel. Here's a close-up of the yellow wire I had to replace as the original was very brittle and too short to reattach. It's seen looping around the green wire. Not a big deal, but I was SO happy I spotted it!:

_DSC3178.jpg

I hope this helps other newbies like me. I want to get this thing finished and start enjoying it! I also did some high-res color scans of the Component Location illustrations from a clean 2275 Service Manual I purchased and will upload them with a link here.
 
Last edited:
It appears that I can't access the AK Database page....not sure why....doesn't see me as a Member.
 
You're doing a fine job!
For future reference if you loosen one side of the front chassis,take the nut off the selector switch shaft and the two screws from the headphone jack plate you can swing the front chassis out quite a bit to access that board much more easily.
I believe all 70's era Marantz units use the power amps to feed the headphone jack.

Bob
 
Thanks Bob. I remember reading about that front panel trick somewhere before but couldn't find it. I really didn't want to pull and move those little wires so much and I found out the hard way what can go wrong when you do!
 
Last edited:
Nice work finding that dead channel. To get to that devil board, I completely disconnected the front chassis panel. That was not the way to go. I got it done, but reassembly was a PITA. Bob has it right. Loosen the left side front chassis a lot and the right side a little to get access to the board.
Steve
 
On a related side note, how do we put files into the AK Database? My login info used for this forum doesn't allow me entry there and I see no "Join" option.
 
P200 FM IF Amplifier board

Not much to see here. This was a "caps only" board update. I'm loving this Hakko desoldering gun but it sure doesn't keep me from soldering a cap in at an odd angle! Luckily you can't see these components as they are completely hidden. Here's the parts list with the Mouser Part Numbers:

C204, 205, 208, 218, 219, 229, 242, 244, 245, 248 - Original 10uF 16v / Now 10uF 50v (UPM1H100MDD)
C243 - Original 100uF 10v / Now 100uF 35v (UPW1V101MPD1TD)
C249 - Original 100uF 16v / Now 100uF 35v (UPW1v101MPD1TD)
C250 - Original 22uF 16v / Now 22uF 50v (EKY-500ETC220ME11D)

_DSC3202.jpg
 
Next up, the PC01 Dolby Level Board. Very easy board to move around and replace the four blue blobs with Wima films. Here's the original board view:

_DSC1970.jpg

.....and here's the finished view with the Wima's in place:

_DSC3215.jpg

The parts list is short:

CC01, 02, 03 and 04 - Originally 1uF 25v / Now 1uF 50v (Mouser # MKS2B041001C00KSSD)
 
Finished up a couple boards in the past few days. Here's the P150 AM Tuner board.

Before

P150before.jpg

After

_DSC3217.jpg

How critical is cable routing on these boards? I noticed that the large bundled black wire on the far left end of the board ran in front of the threaded standoffs originally, but I accidentally tucked it behind the board on reassembly. Any issues with this?

Here's the parts list for the P150 board with Mouser #:

C167 - Originally 22uF 16v / Now 22uF 50v (EKY-500ETC22ME11D)
C168 - Originally 100uF 16v / Now 100uF 35v (UPW1V101MPD1TD)
C169 - Originally 4.7uF 35v / Now 4.7uF 50v (UPS1H4R7MDD1TD)
C170 - Originally 100uF 16v / Now 100uF 35v (UPW1V101MPD1TD)
C171 - Originally 1uF 50v / Now 1uF 50v (MKS2B041001C00KSSD)
C172 - Originally 100uF 16v / Now 100uF 35v (UPW1V101MPD1TD)....ran out of this cap....got one coming
C173 - Originally 4.7uF 35v / Now 4.7uF 50v (UPS1H4R7MDD1TD)
 
BTW, what kind of cap is this? This was not slated for replacement on my list from Leestereo:

_DSC3234.jpg
 
Here's the last board, the P300 FM Multiplex board. It's hard to believe I've been at this thing for so long, but I've learned a ton and it's coming out beautifully. Thank you ALL for your help and especially Leestereo for his patient guidance. He's even willing to help me with a 2245 I picked up! The man is either a saint or a glutton for punishment.

P300 FM MPX board

Before

_DSC3221.jpg
I tried to lift this board enough to get to the underside but there were too many wires attached. I first tried heating a wirewrap pin with the intention of pulling it out with the wire attached but I couldn't make it work. I gave up, took detailed notes of where the wires were attached and unwound the wires with the intention of re-wrapping them and adding a drop of solder. Here's a shot of the board pulled back using my highly scientific and calibrated rubber retention device:

_DSC3230.jpg
I taped the wires out of the way and got busy with the parts swap. Here's the finished board:

_DSC3240.jpg

I'm not proud of how those reattached wires look, but It fired up fine on the DBT and I'd swear that my favorite college station is cleaner sounding than ever. It used to have kind of a "fizzy" sound in the background but that seems to be gone now. I'm still listening to it using the Pre-outs via my headphones, but it's sounding great. I'll drop the amp modules back in tomorrow and fire it up for real. I'm loving this beast!
 
Yes, we are lucky to have guys like Ben to help us learn and restore these fine units correctly.:thumbsup:

The cap in question looks like a polystyrene. They are right up there with polypropylene

In a pinch, you can clip a wire and rewind/ solder and shrink wrap it in a spot that is easier to solder. Just remember to slide the shrinkwrap over it first ;)

Most of the time the pins are accessible and pulling them makes it look like you were never there.
 
Last edited:
Yes, we are lucky to have guys like Ben to help us learn and restore these fine units correctly.:thumbsup:

I can't believe how helpful he's been on my first rebuild project and how he's kept me from doing something stupid which I am eminently qualified to do.....got a degree!!....just sayin'

In a pinch, you can clip a wire and rewind/ solder and shrink wrap it in a spot that is easier to solder. Just remember to slide the shrinkwrap over it first ;)

That's brilliant! I wish I'd thought of that one as it would hide the gnarly looking re-wrapping I did along with the solder.
 
You're doing a fine job!
For future reference if you loosen one side of the front chassis,take the nut off the selector switch shaft and the two screws from the headphone jack plate you can swing the front chassis out quite a bit to access that board much more easily.
I believe all 70's era Marantz units use the power amps to feed the headphone jack.

Bob
Hi Bob,

Have you measured the output impedance of the headphone on the 2275?
 
Hey Dave, just wanted to say Hi...Paul here with the UD5007. Great thread...man I love the vintage Marantz gear....so smooth. Keep up the great work :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top Bottom