• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

2nd SoCal LA/OC/IE/SD AudioKarma Meet, Sat. August 27, 2011

Cerritos Baptist Church
11947 Del Amo Boulevard, Cerritos, CA 90703-7627

North side of street, if coming east on Del Amo, turn left at next side street and come back, no U-turns.

See ya guys there.

Bart

Hi Bart and Pete, please excuse me from today's planning session. I'm knee deep in cacti. They are free Craigers!

cactus1.jpg


cactus2.jpg
 
We met at the church yesterday and it's a wonderful space with high peaked ceilings and a wonderful sound. In pacing it off it looks like we will have space for 14 to 16 6' tables to display gear on. The church has plenty of tables so that's not an issue. The tables are available on a first come first served basis so if you want on please PM me or Bart. There are also plenty of upholstered chairs for seating (it's a church after all). The'll also be handy to help divide up the space between the tables.

We will have to make a donation to the church to cover the cost of the power and A/C that day so we will be asking for donations from everyone. Any extra will go to AudioKarma. People requesting a table or bringing gear for sale are expected to pitch in more coin than folks coming to mingle and listen.

The space is one big room so playing multiple systems at the same time will be an issue. Obviously listening to systems is a big reason for having this kind of get together so we would like to work out a schedule to allow everyone to have chance to demo their gear with a clear sound path. To allocate the time, we need an idea of how many folks will be bringing gear to demo. Please either respond to this thread or PM me or Bart. (I plan to bring my Braun LV1020 "Invisible Sound" speakers and probably some other cool stuff).

It would be nice to do some clinics if anyone is inclinded to do show and tell. Do we have someone that can demo turntable set up, needle microscope, speaker re-foam, re-capping, veneer work/refininshing or any of the other DIY crafts? Any or all would be welcome.

Bring cameras and photo's of your set up if it's not practical to bring the gear. If you have stuff to donate for door prizes that would be good too.

It looks like the doors will open for setup at 8:00AM or a little earlier and target 10:00AM to 6:00PM for the general display.

I have a wooden wagon to use to carry gear from the parking lot. It would be nice to have another cart to carry gear if someone has something appropriate. There is a large parking lot directly behind the church and a smooth path to the doors of the church. Large hand trucks or furniture movers can be used to move gear also. We can also use some Gaffer's Tape or wide Blue Painter's tape to tape down extension cords. Some 14 gauge or better cords and power strips would be appreciated too.

I'm sure there will be more information and requests as we get closer. Stay tuned and get your table requests in.

- Pete
 
I have an idea for a "clinic" if there is interest.

I have a professional, professionally calibrated, noise meter that I use in my business. If people wanted too, they could bring their noise meters and compare them side-by-side to a calibrated unit and check their level of error.
 
That's a beautiful tuner. I can't wait to see it. A little over a week to go and right now there are going to be just 4 guys displaying stuff. Can that be?

- Pete
 
Is there a sell/wanted thread already in BT?

Not that I'm aware of, but that's a good idea. If anyone is looking for that info, direct the inquiry to BT.

I'm planning on bringing my JBL L300's, 4425's, and Rogers or other LS3/5a's. Probably will be using Yamaha PC2002M amps for power.

Will also display (and maybe fire up?) 2 Marantz 8B's, a 7C and 7T, can take the covers off for inspection. Not sure if I will bring the Marantz 2500 or Concept 16.5, they are beasts (!) to move around.

If I get enough work done this weekend, I'll see If I can get some woofers refoamed, then maybe, just maybe I could have a pair of 4435's available??
 
That's cool Bart!
I was thinking of bringing my 7C and 8B as well. But since you will be displaying those, I'll stick to my original plans and bring over the Model 10.
 
I can help.....
My Father-in-law has a bakery (sweets...no breads). So I can supply the Cake or other suggested sweets. I would suggest we get Coffee too. Certain the church has those big brewers?
I'm in HB.

hbrocks,

any reading on what you might be able to bring? I've got some chocolate chip cookies ready to bake up, if you've got some nice sweets or pastries available (donation or otherwise) let me know.

As for Coffee, we do have some big brew pots but honestly we weren't sure how to make the stuff (I don't drink it) or whether we'd want to be supplying coffee, hot water for tea, etc. I can inquire but I'd like to know if its critical or everyone who wants coffee will just get from the local starbucks 3 blocks away (Pioneer and Del Amo, or McD's (4 within 2 miles).

I do plan to bring some tubs for ice and some canned soda and bottle water (Costco) if y'all want some.
 
That's cool Bart!
I was thinking of bringing my 7C and 8B as well. But since you will be displaying those, I'll stick to my original plans and bring over the Model 10.

Yours are likely to be in better cosmetic and operating condition! I haven't checked or worked on mine for at least 8 years! If it isn't too much trouble, be nice to see yours too! I could bring an extra pair of LS3/5a or other speakers to hook yours up to.

Bart

Oh, I better pull out the Mac MR71 to balance out the 10B!
 
Last edited:
Not sure what I'm going to bring. I'm thinking maybe "small" tube amps. How about Fisher SA-300, Scott LK-72B (299D), and/or modded Bogen AP-250? Bart, if these models are already represented, I can bring something else far variety's sake.
 
Not sure what I'm going to bring. I'm thinking maybe "small" tube amps. How about Fisher SA-300, Scott LK-72B (299D), and/or modded Bogen AP-250? Bart, if these models are already represented, I can bring something else far variety's sake.

Hi Sam,

Haven't heard from many folks yet on what they're bringing. These amps have not been mentioned though so I think they'd be great to see, and if possible, hear. I'd like to see the Bogen for sure. Are you thinking of displaying or playing? Bring your Yamaha NS-1000's? Decorate your space with some Cacti? :scratch2:

I've got a few stock Dynaco tube pieces I could bring also for display. I have a stock complete ST-70 that could play but it hasn't been checked out beyond when I got it. I've another ST-70 for refurbishing (introduced in Steelman's Seeking ST-70 thread) that I could bring to contrast nice versus corroded!

Anyone bringing vinyl and turntables? I'll pull out the Thorens TD160 Super with SME III and Grado. Can also bring for display an AR table and a Thorens TD125 with SME3009 II arm. Nothing super exotic but sort of classic vintage.

I also plan to bring a bunch of BSR and Audiosource RTA displays. Not the most accurate or extensive in terms of frequency display or discrimination but nice bouncy lights (in homage to Thor!).

Anyone who wants to reserve a display or play spot, please contact me, LBPete, or elcoholic so we can update our list. Also, those who wish to have a spot for sales or barter, let us know.
 
Hi Sam,

Haven't heard from many folks yet on what they're bringing. These amps have not been mentioned though so I think they'd be great to see, and if possible, hear. I'd like to see the Bogen for sure. Are you thinking of displaying or playing? Bring your Yamaha NS-1000's? Decorate your space with some Cacti? :scratch2:

I've got a few stock Dynaco tube pieces I could bring also for display. I have a stock complete ST-70 that could play but it hasn't been checked out beyond when I got it. I've another ST-70 for refurbishing (introduced in Steelman's Seeking ST-70 thread) that I could bring to contrast nice versus corroded!

Anyone bringing vinyl and turntables? I'll pull out the Thorens TD160 Super with SME III and Grado. Can also bring for display an AR table and a Thorens TD125 with SME3009 II arm. Nothing super exotic but sort of classic vintage.

I also plan to bring a bunch of BSR and Audiosource RTA displays. Not the most accurate or extensive in terms of frequency display or discrimination but nice bouncy lights (in homage to Thor!).

Anyone who wants to reserve a display or play spot, please contact me, LBPete, or elcoholic so we can update our list. Also, those who wish to have a spot for sales or barter, let us know.

Hi Bart: The tubes I mentioned are all players. The Bogen was originally a 7355(?) amp which was modded to 6L6. Not sure NS-1000M's are in the cards, the coupe won't cooperate and the truck was lost when a 16 y.o. plowed into me.

Has anyone talked about big glass? Some high power Roy Grant (of Grant Lumley) tube mono blocks may become available this week, not sure though. My MC-60's are always available, in fact I just scored a killer set of vintage GE 6550A's to go with my smooth plate Tele's.:yes:
 
I could bring over the rebuilt/modded Mark III's for a bit high wattage tube amp. They do not take up much room. I'm not big on moving it around a lot but I suppose the BBX might be able to tag along if needed.
 
Haven't heard from many folks yet on what they're bringing. I also plan to bring a bunch of BSR and Audiosource RTA displays. Not the most accurate or extensive in terms of frequency display or discrimination but nice bouncy lights (in homage to Thor!).

I have a Behringer 61-band RTA and mic that I can bring. Bring an extra mic stand/boom if you have one.
 
Anyone interested in hearing Vandersteen 3s? (They're a bear to move but I'll bring them if there's interest.)
 
Back
Top Bottom