• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

3000A woes

tutor_turtle

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I was given a 3000A (and some other equipment) in payment for repairs on a 9090.
After finding the initial channel out problem, I was happy to see the engineering fix to protect the output was recently done.

As I got further into it, more issues became apparent:
> A rhythmic clicking sound, every input, both channels, most notable on "Tape Head" input. Most sensitive input.
> The RCA jacks are too large (9.23mm, instead of 8.23mm).
> Lastly the FM radio has very weak reception. (local/distance switch has no effect)
Cleaning the bearings on the tuning capacitor did not help.

The basic question is: Should I bother chasing ghosts on a model that has limited appeal?
 
Register to hide this ad
This model sounds great when its working well, but has a few, known gremlins that need to be addressed. If you plan to use it, it's probably worth going through. If you plan to flip it, you'll have a lot of hours into it and it may not be worth it. In the latter case, maybe part it out. Here's a thread I created with my notes on the 3000A.
 
I got my friend's working with the mods, etc. and after he hooked it up he said it pulls in many more stations than his other receivers.
 
Back
Top Bottom