• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

4 Reasons To Consider Moving Back To Analog SLRs.

Cruzah

Super Member
I realize this post might be consider heresy on a digital photography website and yet, I type about moving away from all digital and incorporating some old-fashioned analog (film) cameras in your photo kit. I’m not advocating a worldwide ban on digital, nor do I think all you young kids need to get off my lawn and pull up your pants. I’m not that old yet (but really, pull up your pants). I do see some value in picking up a film camera on the cheap.

1. It Can Help You Learn
I teach photography and I see both sides of this concept. On one hand, I learned in the days of film and the steep cost for making mistakes forced me to learn to see light, think about it, quantify it and set my exposure accordingly. That way works and has for over a century.

But digital allows for instant feedback and to see cause and effect in real-time with Live View modes. This can also help but can also be a crutch. There is no right or wrong way between digital and film which is why I state it “can” help you learn. It can also frustrate the heck out of you.

2. Takeoff and Landing
This is my personal reason for digging through my Dad’s stuff to find the old camera I handed down to him over a decade ago. I posted a picture of beautiful Seattle from a flight while on approach and a friend on Facebook busted me for being below 10,000’. I like to follow rules and not have to hide my camera (or phone) as if a criminal on a plane. That is why I am going back to film.

I travel a lot, usually stepping on a plane once a week at least. I plan my seat assignment to get me in front of the wing and engine and then to take advantage of light as well as topography below. I think too much. And a number of times this past year I have witnessed beautiful scenes out the window I wish I could capture. A lot of those are near takeoff and landing when “approved electronic devices need to be shut off…”.

My old camera, now returned from my Dad, will be put to good use in the skies over Seattle, LA, Portland and number of other locations. I wish I had one in Dubai. I wish I had one in Costa Rica. Now I have a small solution to a modern problem.

3. Always In Your Car
How many times have you wished you had a camera in your car? If “Zero”, then skip this one. I would love to leave a camera in my car that can take excellent photos but not make me cry for months if it is stolen. It would also be nice to not have to tote my big DSLR from the house to the car as often as I do.

Always having a camera at the ready in the car can serve many purposes. From kids doing silly things to documenting a traffic accident for insurance purposes. And the advantage of the film camera is the batteries will likely never die. It’s always ready and it’s always there. Heat can be a problem with this one, though (film doesn’t like heat that DSLRs simply shrug off).

4. 12×12 Photo Marathons
Have you heard of the 12×12 Vancouver Photo Marathon? From everything I’ve heard, it’s awesome and I would really love to go next year. The marathon is a 12 hour competition where each participant is given a roll of 12 exposure film and each hour a new theme is announced. Participants have one hour to be as creative as they can be interpreting the theme and then executing a shot.

Participants get one shot at each theme. Just one. When was the last time you limited your shooting to one, well-thought-out shot? It sounds tough, fun and well worth the cost to pick up an analog camera.

I had got this from one of my favorite Photography learning websites and thought youse good Folks might wanta check it out.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I totally agree with this. Ever since I inherited an old Yashica FX-3, I decided to pursue film more, leading to my current (fully operational) arsenal of film cameras and lenses all from the thrift stores. I have even been hired by couples to do their wedding in film and it worked out wonderfully . Where ever i go, i bring some kind of camera with me because I hate those instances where there is a great shot and no camera to capture it.
 
1. It Can Help You Learn
I teach photography and I see both sides of this concept. On one hand, I learned in the days of film and the steep cost for making mistakes forced me to learn to see light, think about it, quantify it and set my exposure accordingly. That way works and has for over a century.
.....there's no doubt you learn more about being able to calculate the exposure with a film camera.....
 
1) Film is very ill, if not entirely dead. Kodak is in bankruptcy and that leaves only Fuji. Film is going up in price and it is becoming harder to find place that will process it. This trend will only continue.

2) You can learn exposure on any good digital camera with manual controls, and you get the results instantly instead of having to wait for the film to be processed.

3) If you fly a lot and take a lot of photos out of plane windows, then yes. I'm guessing that the percentage of the population that does that is very low.

4) Camera in the car is always a good idea. I've got a cell phone that's always with me and it takes photos too.

Film is great, I love film, but it doesn't matter. It's over. Learn to use the new technology.
 
.....there's no doubt you learn more about being able to calculate the exposure with a film camera.....

Nonsense. I can do everything with my digital camera I can do with a film camera, plus a few more tricks that I can't do with film. And yes, I'm old and I learned with film - 120 roll film. I even process my own B&W and scan B&W and color negatives and slides, so I've been around the block a few times. Anyone who tries to tell me that a digital camera cannot do what a film camera does is --------; it can do all a film camera can do and more, plus provide nearly instant feedback.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
1. It Can Help You Learn
I still have my Olympus OM-2n that I bought and learned on in the 70s. I should...

2. Takeoff and Landing
ok.... but I still sneak a iPhone shot every once in awhile.

3. Always In Your Car
Film would be baked here sitting in 110°+ car. Besides my P&S is always in the car.

4. 12×12 Photo Marathons
Main reason for me not to... I've gotten sloppy in my picture taking and processing would drive me insane. Ok... maybe not sloppy, but rather I like being able to take multiple takes quickly and inexpensively. Especially when you only have a split second to react.

If my life were slower and simpler, then I'd take up film again and do it right.

Good luck and have fun to you guys with film!
 
1) Film is very ill, if not entirely dead. Kodak is in bankruptcy and that leaves only Fuji. Film is going up in price and it is becoming harder to find place that will process it. This trend will only continue.

2) You can learn exposure on any good digital camera with manual controls, and you get the results instantly instead of having to wait for the film to be processed.

3) If you fly a lot and take a lot of photos out of plane windows, then yes. I'm guessing that the percentage of the population that does that is very low.

4) Camera in the car is always a good idea. I've got a cell phone that's always with me and it takes photos too.

Film is great, I love film, but it doesn't matter. It's over. Learn to use the new technology.



Reminds me of that other thread referencing an article on why "vinyl is dead. just drop it and use cds"....

but you're right wiggy..kodak's at rock bottom and the format itself is dying off...also, cost.. There's something inherently magical about film..
..and like others have stated, it makes you learn when you're chancing wasting an exposure...

kinda like learning to swim: you can wear "floaties" or...your parents could just chuck you in the pond and say "swim dammit!"
 
I remember when film and developing was $15 to $20 for a 36 exposure roll.

I definately spent a lot more time thinking about a shot. Checking the light and the framing. Visualizing what the print would look like.

With digital I shoot hundreds of photos were I might have taken 3 or 4 with film.
 
I have 6 film SLRs and 6 digital SLRs, guess which ones I use the most?
I learned to shoot film on a Pentax K1000 manual SLR back in the 70s.
To me it doesn't make any difference what kind of camera you use to shoot with, but having the knowledge and experience of photography to use it to the best of your ability.
 
There's something inherently magical about film..
..

Not to me, and I grew up on the stuff. Try shooting a wedding and then spending six weeks working on the prints. Compare that to a couple days in digital land. Film loses a lot of 'magic' when it sucks the life out of you.

and like others have stated, it makes you learn when you're chancing wasting an exposure...

That's down to self-discipline. Oh, I can't learn unless I am forced to learn! Well, then there is something wrong with you. Don't blame digital because you can't force yourself to use shot economy. [NOTE: Not you personally. That was generic.]

I hear that a lot. About what people simply cannot bring themselves to do, therefore film is superior. Well, think about that. If you can't bring yourself to learn to type, does that make pencils better?

And frankly, I don't practice shot discipline much any more. I used to - film was expensive even when it was cheaper than it is now. But now I can hammer away at an event and have a really good chance of getting some keepers in the mix and for those that don't make the cut, what do I care? It's the work of a moment to cull them. There are times when I want just that one particular moment, and fortunately I can use shot discipline when it is appropriate to do so. But I could have learned that anywhere; film didn't make me learn it.

I like a lot of the old ways. I like old manual focus fast lenses; so I use 'em. I put a split screen viewfinder into my Pentax digital SLR so I could focus manually just like in the old days.

Except that now I have better control over ISO (I can change it without changing the film) and I have this nifty little focus indicator that works; so if my eyes are giving me trouble that day, I'm still not sunk (I have diabetes, my eyes go wonky). I've got full control over aperture, shutter speed, I can use manual flash, I can shoot zone focus, you name it. There isn't anything I can think of that can be done with a film camera that I cannot do.

And I can shoot all day long on a pair of rechargeable AA batteries and a memory card. Maybe 1000 or 1200 shots. Do that with film, see how much it costs. I just format the card and recharge the batteries.
 
I learned to shoot film on a Pentax K1000 manual SLR back in the 70s.

Same camera I started with back then. Also had a ME Super and an MG, but liked the manual K1000 better.
 
.....there's no doubt you learn more about being able to calculate the exposure with a film camera.....
Nonsense. I can do everything with my digital camera I can do with a film camera, plus a few more tricks that I can't do with film.
.....I can too, but you learned photography twisting aperture rings on lenses, didn't you?....that's all I meant, the f/stop learning thing.....
 
I learned a lot from my B&W Film class. Spending hours in the lab, developing my own film changed the way I use photoshop.
 
Sometimes a film camera just "feels right" though. Kinda like the ritual with cleaning your LP and dropping the needle on the turntable. Ritual. One of the reasons I like a software program called "Picture Window Professional" is that a lot of intuitive stuff from the old wet chemistry darkroom days just seems to carry over... still no way to wave your hands over a print while you're exposing it to "dodge in" an area though...
 
Film has always been fun to me. The technical aspects of selecting the right film, setting shutter speed and aperture to get the best balance of lighting and depth of field for the shot appeals to me. Can't explain why. Digital can be run in full manual mode, but it just doesn't feel the same.

Having said that, I can't afford film any longer. I don't know of any local (within 50 miles) retailers who sell slide film. There was a place in Texarkana that processed slide film 5 years ago. Don't think they do that anymore. Next closest processor is in Little Rock - 120 miles away.

I agree that film is a dying medium. It's sad, but it's life.
 
Last edited:
Best of both worlds. Aperture twisting and manual focus when desired.

1337656130015.jpg
 
Glad to give all My fellow photographers a subject Youse folks can really bite into and get it All out.
LOL!
Personally I guess I still kinda prefer analog photography more than digital for most things.
(I do like the little digital cameras though for shooting web work though)
But Aye...I'm an Old Guy.
Yep.
 
Sometimes a film camera just "feels right" though. Kinda like the ritual with cleaning your LP and dropping the needle on the turntable. Ritual. One of the reasons I like a software program called "Picture Window Professional" is that a lot of intuitive stuff from the old wet chemistry darkroom days just seems to carry over... still no way to wave your hands over a print while you're exposing it to "dodge in" an area though...

There are burn and dodge tools in Photoshop. The vast majority of the work I do in Photoshop now mirrors the work I would have done in a lab working with film, paper and chemicals.

I loved shooting film but I no longer have access to a lab and I don't have room to build one in my home. So digital it is. To me shooting film and having someone else develop it is just a slower version of digital shooting. I love film and would build a dark room if space allowed. But it does not.
 
Back
Top Bottom