• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

50 Years Ago...

Register to hide this ad
Man I remember that like it was yesterday. It was so cool watching it on t.v. I heard this morning they are adding the actual suit worn on the moon to the Smithsonian display. Still soiled with lunar dust. So cool!
 
The only photograph of Armstrong on the Moon is the one where he is reflected in Buzz's faceplate

Neil had the camera

The Saturn V first stage burned 15 tons of fuel per SECOND
 
if it were I that went to the moon then, instead of some memorable saying as I stepped off the ladder I would have went "haha! I am on the moooooooooooon!!! look at me! this is the mooooooooooooon!"

woulda made for a better tape.

plus I woulda kicked a rock and said 'its clearly not made of cheese but there are a bunch of little green men over there waving'

algore would have invented the internet 20 years earlier just to support the conspiracy pages that would have generated!
 
I was too young at the time to remember this happening, but was fascinated by space as a kid a vividly remember watching all the shuttle launches on TV as a kid.
 
Did you guys see the Neil Armstrong interview with Barbara Walters a

Couple of months ago. It was pretty good. She ask a lot of the same

questions that most interviewers ask , but then she ask him about

“ one small step for man , one giant leap for mankind “ she ask him

If those were his words or if somebody else told him to say that.

He said well there were 4 other people and myself that came up with

that after a couple hours of discussion. She ask him if he could have said

what he really wanted to say , what would it have been. He said he did have

something else on his mind when his foot hit the moon but it would not have

meant anything except to 3 people. She said I would love to know even if it

would not mean anything to most of us. Neil thought about for a minute and

told her he would have said go for it Mrs. Bernstein. She looked puzzled and he

told her that when he was a young boy they lived in a apartment building. My

bedroom wall was on the other side of the Bernsteins bedroom wall next door.

Mr. Bernstein was always trying to get Mrs. Bernstein to do something for him.

She would always tell him I’ll stick the thing in my mouth when a man walks on the moon.
 
A smart watch or a cell phone has many, many times more computing power than the lunar lander's navigation computer. That's 50 years for you.
 
I was a kid of about 9y.o. I had no interest in this thing.
We just happened to end up in Beaver Ut. visiting relatives the day of the landing. My entire family was riveted to the grainy long distance antennae reception that you'd get in southern Utah in that day; thusly adding to my lack of interest.
The relatives had an old pioneer-era irrigation ditch in front of the house that had naturalized into a year round creek, with insects, and fish in it; stickleback-type minnows. I watched those things feed on insects, and, finally grabbed my flies, and caught some.
Normally, I would have been dropped off up in the canyon, and allowed to fish my way back down into town, but, not today,.. too special of a day to go fishing.
So, I contented myself by catching 2" minnows on crudely tied fishing flies that I'd made myself.... all caught in the rain.
 
Last edited:
Watched it on my practically new 9" B/W Sony... Remember it was Hotter than French Fried Dammitt, our house just had 2 big room aircons in it, & MY room WASN'T one of 'em... Think my Mom had her '67 Mercury Colony Park Wagon, it had that nifty neato Ford 2-way tailgate, & my Dad had his pagoda roof 250 SL... I wedged my tucchis somehow into the sideways back seat, & my sister sat on my Mom's lap.. Think Henry traded the 250SL on a sedan the next year, we kinda had outgrown it.. The wagon had A/C, I don't think you could get A/C on the little Mercedes then... Compared to now, it was a VERY rudimentary car... About the only extras it had were automatic, & a Becker AM/FM/SW radio... Believe it or not, there WAS a time when REAL people could fairly easily afford a Mercedes...
 
I remember it very well. I was 16 at the time and my family was huddled around the only TV we had, to watch history being made.

Many, many years from now people may not remember who all the presidents were, but they will the remember the first person to set foot on another celestial object.
 
Did you guys see the Neil Armstrong interview with Barbara Walters a

Couple of months ago. It was pretty good. She ask a lot of the same

questions that most interviewers ask , but then she ask him about

“ one small step for man , one giant leap for mankind “ she ask him

If those were his words or if somebody else told him to say that.

He said well there were 4 other people and myself that came up with

that after a couple hours of discussion. She ask him if he could have said

what he really wanted to say , what would it have been. He said he did have

something else on his mind when his foot hit the moon but it would not have

meant anything except to 3 people. She said I would love to know even if it

would not mean anything to most of us. Neil thought about for a minute and

told her he would have said go for it Mrs. Bernstein. She looked puzzled and he

told her that when he was a young boy they lived in a apartment building. My

bedroom wall was on the other side of the Bernsteins bedroom wall next door.

Mr. Bernstein was always trying to get Mrs. Bernstein to do something for him.

She would always tell him I’ll stick the thing in my mouth when a man walks on the moon.


Funny joke, but not true.:)

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/good-luck-mr-gorsky/

To keep an eye on what really happened through the mission check here:

https://apolloinrealtime.org/11/mobile/

Haven't heard anyone ask "Are we there yet?" but it wouldn't surprise me.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom