• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

6336A...

I built a "Baby 845" with 6336s years ago. It was basically the same as my 845 amp, with a parallel 6N7 > triode EL34 > 6336. Cathode bias, 450VDC B+ into a 2.5K load. Got 6-7 watts out of them. Sounded pretty much like an 845. ;-) My tube mentor used to run them in SRPP configuration, one section stacked on top of the other. It made them more linear and sounded great.

Baby845.jpg
 
That's a cool schem,,, did you find a PT with all the proper windings or need to use separate TXs for each winding? I did use 6N7s for drivers on the 6AS7 amp, tho,,, but I dont have any EL34s,,, maybe a different power tube could work??
 
Since the sections aren't going to be matched, and instead of having to have fixed bias for each section, what about having one section catbode biased and the other with fixed bias?
you'd have different output impedances for each section, and different voltages across the tube. Depending where you bias this it looks like 50-100 volts of bias. If one cathode was at 0v and the other at ~75 its going do strange things.
 
That's a cool schem,,, did you find a PT with all the proper windings or need to use separate TXs for each winding? I did use 6N7s for drivers on the 6AS7 amp, tho,,, but I dont have any EL34s,,, maybe a different power tube could work??

I probably used a separate filament tranny. It was a breadboard project. Any triode-strapped pentode or beam tube would work--6L6GC, KT66, even a 6V6 would be fine I think. Any voltage amp tube would do as well. I was shooting for a gain of about 20, with the EL34 having a gain of about 11. For a stereo amp you could use one 12AT7 or 12AV7, two 6L6s and one 6336. An Antek AS-3TD360 would suffice for the whole amp. It's not a fussy design, you can play around with it. The reason I bothered is that graphite-plate tubes have such a great, growly sound but most people don't want to mess with 1000+ VDC. ;-)
 
Well,,, I wrote to my buddy and told him to grab any more of these out of his stash,,, I hate to see tube that travel back and forth from meets for years just loose in boxes,,, I'm thinkin I'll be lucky if I can match two that work,,, but that's how I built the 811 amp,, guy gave a few of them at a hamfest at least a dozen years ago. and I've been finding them ever since,,, That amp uses a 6BG6 for drivers...
 
Back
Top Bottom