• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

6P3S-E...good sound!

Hello, today I received a quad of 6P3S-E that I bought a few days ago in ebay, at Nixiestore seller; in this moment, with only five hours of running, they sound very good!, I think that have better bass than the EL34 EH, and the midrange and treble is very good, very clear for me. I adjusted the bias in the beginning, in 350 mv., and in the next days I can up to 400 or 450 mv...I think for 25$ is a very good buy!

Best regards.
 
Register to hide this ad
I bought 16 of these off of epay for right around $100, including shipping. I yanked an octet of GL KT66's out of my 2 st-70's and replaced them with these 6p3s-e's just to try them out. At first, they sounded horrible and my wife actually heard the difference and wondered why I didn't swap back. The soundstage was squashed back in, vocals sounded thin and almost tinny and treble was scratchy and harsh. They were hard to listen to for 3 days or so, but on about the 4th day, they began to open up a little. By the morning of the 5th day, I was about to leave for a few weeks (still gone actually) I listened for a few hours and noticed that they really did seem to be opening up even more. I can't wait to get home and get to the 100 hr. mark with these. Mine only have somewhere around 40-50 hrs. on them, but based on what I heard the 4th and 5th days of listening, I'm impressed. I just can't believe they sounded so bad at first! I've read where people have said they are a little light on bass, but at first that "light" bass was all the way up into the midrange and was clearly audible. The morning I left, vocals had developed more heft and treble had smoothed out significantly. When I finally finish burning them in, I'll compare them to the kt66's. My bet is that they may come VERY close!:music: I started with 40ma and increased to 45ma on the fifth day.
 
Last edited:
I have a Jim McShane quad of these and they sound great. The custom JNW amp I have them currently in is auto bias and auto balance, but I did have a set of these on a Yaqin MC-10L that I have long since sold. They sounded best at 50mv to my ears. Give it a try.
 
I have only 20 hours in these tubes now, and I think the sound is similar to EL34 EH, maybe the EH have more detail in high frequencies, but the midrange is similar and the bass not yet open. I await to arrive at 100-150 hours of the burn-in!. Now, I have the bias in 380 mv., maybe in a few hours more I adjust them in 400 mv...I'm glad to read a good reviews of these tubes!!...I will write the new reviews in the next days!
 
Hello Mark, also a Yaqin amp, the MS34D model( with remote control) that I bought in ebay a eight months ago: in this moment, with the teflon FT-3 russian capacitors, AEG Telefunken pre-amp tubes and the 6P3S-E power tubes, the sound is...very,very good!!:banana:
 
I asked because a tube guru over on the tube asylum named Mike Samra recommended to me bias @ 50mv to get the best waveform. I had originally had the bias set about where you have yours. When I bumped up the bias they REALLY sounded good. Mike Samra was correct.
 
Thank you Mark,I think that the 6L6 tubes like the 6P3S-E need a more down bias adjust... how many time you think need to best burn-in these tubes: 100, 150,200 hours?
 
Thank you Mark,I think that the 6L6 tubes like the 6P3S-E need a more down bias adjust... how many time you think need to best burn-in these tubes: 100, 150,200 hours?

I thought they were great from about 50 to 100 hours and beyond. The MS34D is just a newer model from the MC-10L. I really think you should try a hotter bias. These tubes can take it all day and excel with it. I also have a quad of the EH EL 34's and the 6P3S-E blow their doors off. The 6P3S-E really are not a 6L6; one of the truly knowledgeable tube guys please chime in and explain, I simply do not have the tech know how to do so at this time.
 
I ordered a pair of these form Jim McShane for a Sherwood S-1000 mono amp I ruthlessly sniped off the bay. I'm anxiously waiting for both shipments to arrive sometime next week.

Always nice to have something to look forward to...
 
6P3S-E... the same that Sovtek 5881WXT?

I thought they were great from about 50 to 100 hours and beyond. The MS34D is just a newer model from the MC-10L. I really think you should try a hotter bias. These tubes can take it all day and excel with it. I also have a quad of the EH EL 34's and the 6P3S-E blow their doors off. The 6P3S-E really are not a 6L6; one of the truly knowledgeable tube guys please chime in and explain, I simply do not have the tech know how to do so at this time.

Thank you Mark, I say this because the 6P3S-E are very similar(not are the same tubes?) than the Sovtek 5881WXT that I see at TubeDepot...about the bias, today I up the adjust to 450 mv. and I will write my impressions after a few hours...
 
Wow! I got home last night and after an additional 20 or so hours of my wife and neighbors playing with my system while I was gone, there is a definate difference in sound as opposed to the morning I left. Somewhere around 70 hours on these tubes. Soundstage is back. Vocals, both male and female have much more heft and treble has smoothed out even more. They are beginning to sound very nice indeed. Overall much more mellow than when I first installed them. I can go ahead and say that for the money, these are AWESOME tubes and I'm so glad I have another octet stashed in the closet. I may even get some more. So far, they are coming waaaay too close to the GL kt66's to justify the cost of Gold Lions.:banana:
 
Great sound...

Hello again, after a few more days, yesterday I was listening and was amazed at how good it sounded with the 6P3S-E tubes; I must say, however, also had installed the K40Y-9 PIO russian signal capacitors in my amp, and the combination is delicious!: full-bodied sound, detailed, delicate, open...superb!:banana:

In the coming days I expect to test a JJ KT77 quad, from those who have read very good reviews about their sound:music:...not so much about their reliability:worried:
 
Hello again, after a few more days, yesterday I was listening and was amazed at how good it sounded with the 6P3S-E tubes; I must say, however, also had installed the K40Y-9 PIO russian signal capacitors in my amp, and the combination is delicious!: full-bodied sound, detailed, delicate, open...superb!:banana:

In the coming days I expect to test a JJ KT77 quad, from those who have read very good reviews about their sound:music:...not so much about their reliability:worried:

Let us know how they compare to the 6P3S-E. My next upgrade will be a nice quad of Shuguang Treasure 6CA7.
 
In the coming days I expect to test a JJ KT77 quad, from those who have read very good reviews about their sound:music:...not so much about their reliability:worried:

Seems to be hit or miss with the JJ's. Some have good luck with them and some have nothing but problems. Personally, I have no desire to try them. The magic smoke is staying in my amp.:D

jeff
 
Back
Top Bottom