• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

80's Technics Integrated Amps

A simple Question for technics owners, what are meaning of 'current operation' and 'voltage control' leds on the front?
 
I've got a bunch of Technics stuff and haven't seen those before. Can you give us the model number and possibly a pic or two?
 
A simple Question for technics owners, what are meaning of 'current operation' and 'voltage control' leds on the front?

I haven't seen those two on any of my early SU-Vs, but the SU-V707 has a little "Computer Drive Monitor" with several LEDs next to the New Class A logo. I would guess they're similar to that.
 
I've got a bunch of Technics stuff and haven't seen those before. Can you give us the model number and possibly a pic or two?
Model is SU-v650
su-v650.jpg


First led is yellow and labeled 'voltage control'
Second is red and labeled 'current drive'

Second Led is active when it connect speakers and have some kind of diagnostic messages, but first is a puzzle to me. Sometimes it lit and sometimes not, with no noticeable impact on anything... I guess that it have something to do with current operation mode of so called AA Class.
 
Excellent amp,I own a Technics SU-V650,also a SU-V55A (the latter has an amazing MM/MC phono stage for such a small amp).
Both the LED's should be lit up (and stay lit) after the relay clicks,if not,then there's a fault somewhere.
 
Can anyone share manual for technics SU-V650, one that i have is extremly poor quolity and barely recognizable in section on error. Strangest thing is that there is no noticable malfunction....
 
Dumbest thing in the world......
I knocked LED a little and it lit up.... I gues it is some contacct gone over the past 20 years....
 
Where does the SU-V96 and SU-V90 place in the line up please.
I've enjoyed their sound, no problems.
Both came from the thrift depot.
Thanks in advance for any info.
DaveS
 
Where does the SU-V90 place in the line up please.
I've enjoyed their sound, no problems.
Both came from the thrift depot.
Thanks in advance for any info.
DaveS

The SU-V90 was one of the most expensive Technics amps due to it's built in DAC.I have a couple of these,they're truly excellent.I've found to get the very best sound from CD,you need to connect some good quality interconnects to the power amp direct analogue inputs at the rear,and not use the normal CD input or optical input (but you cannot record of CD connecting this way).
paulb006-5_zps813de5ea.jpg
[/IMG]
 
The SU-V90 was one of the most expensive Technics amps due to it's built in DAC.I have a couple of these,they're truly excellent.I've found to get the very best sound from CD,you need to connect some good quality interconnects to the power amp direct analogue inputs at the rear,and not use the normal CD input or optical input (but you cannot record of CD connecting this way).
paulb006-5_zps813de5ea.jpg
[/IMG]

Duania thank you for for your comments and information.
Unfortunately, D'uh, I've mistakenly described it as
the SU-V90, when it is really a SU-V91.
Is it different enough to change your assessment of
this amp.
It and the SU-V96 both sound great to my old ears.
Any information on the SU-V91 and/or the SU-V96 is
very welcome.
Thanks to all in advance.
 
Where does the SU-V96 and SU-V90 place in the line up please.
I've enjoyed their sound, no problems.
Both came from the thrift depot.
Thanks in advance for any info.
DaveS

Dave, I have an SU-V76 that is almost identical to the 96. It's a good amp, but it weighs quite a bit less than what a 100 WPC New Class A amp of earlier vintage would have weighed, if they made one. The 70 WPC SU-V7 is massive compared to the 76. The 76 is also noticeably less clear than the earlier models. It's a very good find in a thrift store amp, and if you like its sound, you will be blown away by a the silver-faced SU-V3 (30 WPC) or SU-V7.
 
Back
Top Bottom