• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

9090db sl-1200mk2 why is the sound so low?

Please don't any of you get ruffled feathers when I say this, but the Phono Stages in most of these Receivers were done on the cheap. I doubt in many, if any instances at all had more than $5-$10 worth of parts invested.

Sure, some had very good sound considering, I've been there and done that 45 years ago, all brand new **** straight from the Boxes. Sansui's, Marantz's brand new Shure, AT, Stanton Cartridges, brand new Speakers, usually JBL, the whole gauntlet I went down.

As a side, I have 2 Sutherland Phono Stages myself, the PHD, and the 20/20. Both are amazing.

It's the same too with any other sources you feed your unit. Of course decent cabling must be in the mix.
I'm definitely going to look into the Sutherland thanks for the advice. I have 6 amps the 9090 I recently picked up for 60 dollar's and it works flawless. I have a pioneer sx 850 and a 950 and I kept interchanging my units trying to identify what the problem is. It's been frustrating I am new to getting my components correct
 
I manged to find a sansui 9090db, I plugged it in all the channels and settings work 100% only missing some screws holding the bottom trim of the unit and missing a foot it's my new main reciever.

You posted this about a month ago, other then plugging it in have you done anything to it since then?
 
I''ll confide and be 100% honest. I've owned a slew of Sansui and Marantz over 4 decades.
And still have a Sansui in my stable, a perfect condition QRX-7001, she's a real beauty. There's 7-8 more I owned over the years, same with Marantz, a whole lot of sweet units I've owned.

None have I ever had any real noteworthy problems to speak of, of not having enough gain playing vinyl.
Usually, any MM Cartridge putting out 4-5mv was good to go.

My "cool" table back in the day was a Pioneer PL-51.

Any Receiver like these older units should get some bench time, but not by some hack. I know of one quite good Tech in Chicago. Kaspar at Stereo Rehab.

Downside is, the 9090DB is massive. Horrible to have to pick up to move anywhere.

As a last mention, and suggestion, try your Table with another Receiver, if not one you have, perhaps a friends, and see how it sounds? Process of elimination if you think a problem may exist somewhere?
 
You posted this about a month ago, other then plugging it in have you done anything to it since then?
Swapped out the amp for one of my pioneers. Replaced the speaker wire purchases multiple carts. Swapped out the speaker's, I have 4 sets. Tested the difference in sound.

Keep in mind I'm new to getting my configurations correct. I frequent swap meets and thrift stores so I have a room dedicated to record players amps and speaker's. I have too many projects and my main set up which consists of the 9090 I step away from at times because I get frustrated.
 
free test. if one the other receivers have preout via removing jumpers, plug into that phono stage and feed to aux in this one. Also read up for you about that guy. All signals pass through the dolby nr board. whether it's on or off. Could be the culprit.
 
I am getting sound from my record player. The problem I am having is the radio or am FM is loud on my speakers and my record player plays at about half the volume compared to the am FM channel's

I'm trying to get recommendations to figure out what could be the problem. I have tried phono 1 and phono 2 swapping carts and still haven't figured it out that's why I am considering a pre amp.

Pickering XV-15/625 is lower output than average. And your phono gain is likely lowish as well. And also, FM is more dynamics compressed/limited than your turntable ever will be (Unless you own a Orban Optimod or Omnia FM broadcast audio processor).
 
I''ll confide and be 100% honest. I've owned a slew of Sansui and Marantz over 4 decades.
And still have a Sansui in my stable, a perfect condition QRX-7001, she's a real beauty. There's 7-8 more I owned over the years, same with Marantz, a whole lot of sweet units I've owned.

None have I ever had any real noteworthy problems to speak of, of not having enough gain playing vinyl.
Usually, any MM Cartridge putting out 4-5mv was good to go.

My "cool" table back in the day was a Pioneer PL-51.

Any Receiver like these older units should get some bench time, but not by some hack. I know of one quite good Tech in Chicago. Kaspar at Stereo Rehab.

Downside is, the 9090DB is massive. Horrible to have to pick up to move anywhere.

As a last mention, and suggestion, try your Table with another Receiver, if not one you have, perhaps a friends, and see how it sounds? Process of elimination if you think a problem may exist somewhere?

I definitely need to get it serviced. I haven't touched it since I've found it and ran it.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20220401-184316_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220401-184316_Instagram.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 15
Pickering XV-15/625 is lower output than average. And your phono gain is likely lowish as well. And also, FM is more dynamics compressed/limited than your turntable ever will be (Unless you own a Orban Optimod or Omnia FM broadcast audio processor).

IT definitely is a lower output incomparison to the other carts. The sound quality is amazing though that's why it's tough to eliminate it.
 
free test. if one the other receivers have preout via removing jumpers, plug into that phono stage and feed to aux in this one. Also read up for you about that guy. All signals pass through the dolby nr board. whether it's on or off. Could be the culprit.
The Dolby nr board is new to me. And I will see if I can lunk one of my pioneers in the room and try it out.
 
I know, I love them in spite of this. Find you a MM preamp with adjustable gain, use this in one of your Aux or line inputs, and enjoy it better.
That's what I'm leaning towards it seems like this should definitely fix my problem
 

Attachments

  • 20220401_184935.jpg
    20220401_184935.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 15
free test. if one the other receivers have preout via removing jumpers, plug into that phono stage and feed to aux in this one. Also read up for you about that guy. All signals pass through the dolby nr board. whether it's on or off. Could be the culprit.

Bingo!
Right on, this could be done with not much cash outlay, in effect, you're daisy chaining another receiver that might be on hand, using it's phono stage (and pre-out to go into the Sansui which might be liked better than the one in the Sansui for whatever reasons, fidelity-output/gain-etc.

Of course it's another component added into the mix via cabling.

Same thing could be done for instance if the FM tuner ever goes funky, daisy chain another unit with a good FM tuner. (keep in mind, all are a sort of stop gap measures taken)
 
I ended up buying a Pro-Ject Phono Box RS it should ship to my house by next week. I will keep everyone updated on how it comes out
 
Phono inputs are almost always lower volume than line level -- lower output volume for the same volume knob setting.

If it's happening with all your cartridges and all your tables and you've eliminated the RCA cable between the turntable and the amp as a problem, a separate pre-amp feeding into the AUX port is the solution.

I just turn my volume up, power meter LEDs usually don't flicker much as I don't like high volume.
 
Phono inputs are almost always lower volume than line level -- lower output volume for the same volume knob setting.

If it's happening with all your cartridges and all your tables and you've eliminated the RCA cable between the turntable and the amp as a problem, a separate pre-amp feeding into the AUX port is the solution.

I just turn my volume up, power meter LEDs usually don't flicker much as I don't like high volume.

I am going to give this a shot I received recommendations to hook up a secondary receiver to use the preamp and identify the problem thanks for the heads up. Also, I picked up a phono pre-amp to test it out.
 
I know its big and bulky and might get in the way but something you could try is to take one of your Pioneers, connect your turntable to the phono inputs on one and then connect an RCA patch cord from the Pioneer's tape out or rec out and go into the AUX input on your Sansui. It could be just the phono stage in your Sansui that is giving you grief. If it still sounds the same, probably a cartridge issue.

Some outboard phono pre's can be hotter than others on the output. I had an old Radio Shack Realistic outboard phono pre which worked on every cartridge I had. Don't remember what I ever did with that thing.
 
The Sansui 9090DB is about how shall I say, one of the pinnacles of Sansui, the creme de la creme. the cat's meow.

Could be a flaw somewhere in the Phono Stage, it's all guesses until such is benched by a good tech who knows what they're doing.

Your Turntable and all it entails sounds super nice, and would love to see a picture if possible.

If all is well with it, hopefully we can all eliminate that as being, or having any issues.

Your issues aren't the first time I've heard such spoken, and sure, not too uncommon that the Phono Stage just wasn't quite as hot as the FM, or AUX input,

Don't take this as a diss, but just a fact, there's basically not one Receiver made back then, or even today, that can truly compete with an Outboard Phono Stage-PreAmp. Don't laugh when I tell you that you could buy an entire killer system for the cost of a world class Phono Stage.

I'm talking $65 big ones! As in Thousands. Yeah, Battery Powered which could probably fire up a Cummins Diesel on some huge Motor Home.

Coming back to earth where us normal folk live, an outboard Phono Stage is one superb way to feed your Sansui a higher quality source and much greater fidelity.

What's that little Sutherland Stage called, KC Vibe? That might be a nice one, grab one used off Audiomart, or wherever reliable.

Have a CD Player hooked to AUX? No problemo, you can hook the Phono Stage to a Tape Input, same ****.

A lot of these halfway decent phono stages have provision for staying at 47.5K ohms loading, but offer adjustable gain settings. Having a greater, or should I say "correct" gain hitting the preamp stage on the 9090, you'll finally then get some full apreciation of what vinyl can better offer.
Not trying to debate, but the 9090, as far as build quality, is garbage compared to the G**** series of Sansui. On another note, since the OP picked it up for so cheap I wouldn't be surprised if it's in dire need of a recap. Since he has stacks of other receivers I'm sure he'll find something that works.
 
Back
Top Bottom