• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A Dynaco ST-35 Deluxe

davidpg

New Member
About a year and a half ago, I overhauled a Dynaco SCA-35 using Dave Gillespie's EFB/power supply and power amplifier boards. I have been very pleased with the result, and have been using it for a small system fed by a computer and DAC, where I find the preamplifier controls to be quite useful.

But, I kept reading that the ST-35 was even better, and wondered what that would sound like in my system with better speakers. Although the original ST-35 can now be recreated using the Dynakitparts kit, I thought it would be fun to try something different, starting with another SCA-35 and taking advantage of the extra space to add a power supply choke and selectable inputs. I originally intended to also add a volume control, but Dave warned me that this would wreak havoc with the impedance the ST-35 sees. Dave also suggested adding a small cooling fan.

I've now finished this project and am, again, very pleased. Since it's a bit offbeat, I thought that there might be interested here, where I have been lurking and learning for the past two years.

Rather than drilling a big new hole in the case, I mounted a 50 mm fan over the openings used in the SCA-35 for the low-level inputs. The fan is powered by a small encapsulated 5 V switching power supply (sort of a wall wart without the wall). This supply is also used to drive an LED behind the original pilot light jewel. As a rough estimate, the fan seems to lower the temperatures (measured with an IR thermometer) of the heat-generating components by about 10 C, making the unit notably cooler.

Using the SCA-35 EFB/power supply board provides a bit more capacitance than either the original ST-35 supply or Daves ST-35 EFB board, but the dropping resistor values had to be slightly modified.

As you can see in the pictures below, I've tried to maintain the classic Dynaco look, as if it might have been an original product.

David
 

Attachments

  • st35-Deluxe_front.jpg
    st35-Deluxe_front.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 414
  • st35-Deluxe_top.jpg
    st35-Deluxe_top.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 449
  • st35-Deluxe_back.jpg
    st35-Deluxe_back.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 395
  • backpanel.jpg
    backpanel.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 374
  • st35-Deluxe_bottom.jpg
    st35-Deluxe_bottom.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 404
Register to hide this ad
Very nice !

Where did you get the blank front ?
/PS,
the fan could be supplied from the 6.3V AC + a rectifier, as the preamp boards are gone the transformer has already less to do.
/DS
 
Where did you get the blank front ?
The faceplate was a lucky find on E-Bay. In fact finding it was sort of the deciding prompt in going ahead with this plan.

the fan could be supplied from the 6.3V AC + a rectifier, as the preamp boards are gone the transformer has already less to do.

I don't remember if I considered that or not, but it's a good idea. The little encapsulated supply was inexpensive and cute, though, so I used that. These are available for 12 V, as well, and I wonder if they could be used as filament supplies.

David
 
About a year and a half ago, I overhauled a Dynaco SCA-35 using Dave Gillespie's EFB/power supply and power amplifier boards. I have been very pleased with the result, and have been using it for a small system fed by a computer and DAC, where I find the preamplifier controls to be quite useful.

But, I kept reading that the ST-35 was even better, and wondered what that would sound like in my system with better speakers. Although the original ST-35 can now be recreated using the Dynakitparts kit, I thought it would be fun to try something different, starting with another SCA-35 and taking advantage of the extra space to add a power supply choke and selectable inputs. I originally intended to also add a volume control, but Dave warned me that this would wreak havoc with the impedance the ST-35 sees. Dave also suggested adding a small cooling fan.

I've now finished this project and am, again, very pleased. Since it's a bit offbeat, I thought that there might be interested here, where I have been lurking and learning for the past two years.

Rather than drilling a big new hole in the case, I mounted a 50 mm fan over the openings used in the SCA-35 for the low-level inputs. The fan is powered by a small encapsulated 5 V switching power supply (sort of a wall wart without the wall). This supply is also used to drive an LED behind the original pilot light jewel. As a rough estimate, the fan seems to lower the temperatures (measured with an IR thermometer) of the heat-generating components by about 10 C, making the unit notably cooler.

Using the SCA-35 EFB/power supply board provides a bit more capacitance than either the original ST-35 supply or Daves ST-35 EFB board, but the dropping resistor values had to be slightly modified.

As you can see in the pictures below, I've tried to maintain the classic Dynaco look, as if it might have been an original product.

David

Dang - that looks *fantastic*. Nicely done!

Maybe I should build something like that in the leftover bits of my SCA-35...

-D
 
Now that is just entirely too cool!! What a very neat, very well thought out, and very unique project! And super neat work to complement it as well. By supplementing the choke for the dropping resistor, I would imagine that sucker is dead quiet, too. This one gets bookmarked for sure.

Congrats on a job very well done!

Dave
 
Thanks, Dave. That means a lot coming from you!

I hope that you noticed the "official" EFB sticker. You should include one with each board!

David


Now that is just entirely too cool!! What a very neat, very well thought out, and very unique project! And super neat work to complement it as well. By supplementing the choke for the dropping resistor, I would imagine that sucker is dead quiet, too. This one gets bookmarked for sure.

Congrats on a job very well done!

Dave
 
I did, and am honored to have it appear on such a professional, and well built piece of equipment!

Dave
 
That is such a neat conversion. I wish SCA-35s were as plentiful on this side of the pond. I'm resisting converting my precious SCA-35 to an ST-35, but for the record, do you have a revised schematic? If not, where did you place the choke in the power supply circuit, and are the power boards now SCA or ST ones?
 
amazingly good job.
that must be the new PS board under the 2 blu holes.

Dandy, the ST doesn't have a PS bd. per say. It's all on the underside on the chassis.
Just diodes and cann cap, no choke.
 
Last edited:
but for the record, do you have a revised schematic? If not, where did you place the choke in the power supply circuit, and are the power boards now SCA or ST ones?

Dandy,
Thanks for the kind comments. I don't have a schematic, but I think that I can explain what I did. The power supply board is Dave Gillespie's SCA-35 EFB board. The choke is simply wired in where the 50 ohm 5 W resistor (R41) normally goes. The only other changes to the EFB board are that R38, R39 and R40 are all 2.2 K 1 W. The plate voltage for the 7247s comes from the point labeled C23-1 on the EFB board. This makes it equivalent, more or less, to point C8-C in th ST-35.

The power amplifier boards are the ones for the ST-35, PC-13, also from Dave.

I hope this makes sense.

David
 
Thanks for this really clear explanation David. It's tempting to follow you here... :) Is there a significant sound improvement in comparison with your SCA-35?
 
Dandy, the ST doesn't have a PS bd. per say. It's all on the underside on the chassis.
Just diodes and cann cap, no choke.

Thanks ferninando. I've only seen pics of the ST35, never yet in real life. These amps are scarce here.
 
If you want a ST35 you mite look into a Kit. theres a couple out there. but $$.
heres one of mine front and back views shows not alot of stuff on em but they sure do sound good.
underskirt is just wireing and 2 diodes

have you tried "Barter town'? members only
 

Attachments

  • ST35 1.JPG
    ST35 1.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 108
  • ST35 2.JPG
    ST35 2.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 107
Thanks for this really clear explanation David. It's tempting to follow you here... :) Is there a significant sound improvement in comparison with your SCA-35?

It's really hard for me to say if there is much sound improvement, because I have the two in quite different systems, with much better speakers connected to the st-35. I have briefly had each amplifiers in each system, and I think that the st-35 is noticeably clearer. But I've never tried to make a direct comparison. But, if you think it sounds better, it will!

David
 
I owned two SCA-35s for over 10 years, one factory wired and in near mint condition. Sold them both off a couple of years back. But if I could have handled the job, I would have loved to have taken the hand-built one and applied your mods.
 
David, your amp looks great! Could you tell me what fan you used and how loud it is? A 10C temperature drop seems pretty substantial.
Thanks
 
I'm going to see if I can find the pics on another computer I have, but if not, I'll pull my amp and take a few pics so we can 'compare' projects. That said, I too 'converted' an old SCA-35 to an ST-35, but did so without the benefit of using any boards at all, and made the modification of the two front-end tubes as per Shannon Parks revisions. I would guess that this project was completed about the same time as Davidpg's, but in truth I don't exactly recall at the moment.

My intention with the project was to see how the amp sounded when 'converting' from the 'stock' 12DW7 driver tube to going with a 12AX7 and a 12AU7. I've always had this somewhat 'instinctive' reaction to the idea of having some kind of 'separation blending' that would take place by having the right and left channels going through the two triodes in one 12Ax tube. This clearly has no scientific proof, and after building the amp and testing it, I dare say the channel separation is still about as good as the stock specs using the 12DW7 on the individual amp boards. Truthfully, I'm not sure exactly how to test it, beyond just listening to it. In so doing, I find that I'm easily able to distinguish right and left channels, and if I run just a simple 'test' signal into one side or the other, I don't get anything 'audible' coming out of the other channel, at least that I can hear. So, I'd call the change-over from the 12DW to the 12Ax's a success.

I'd always thought that one day I might add EFB to this amp, as I originally built the PS section and Bias sections using the 'stock' ST-35 design. The only change was the addition of a Choke in the place of the 50 ohm dropping resistor. And, one day I still might do this, but it will have to be done with discrete parts as I'm not sure I want to add a circuit board of any kind to this otherwise all discrete parts amp. But, I just wanted to post here as Davidpg had posted in my SCA PEC thread. Seems great minds think alike............ha ha ha!!

Tom D.

Adding fresh pics as per above...........
 

Attachments

  • ST1.jpg
    ST1.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 82
  • ST2.jpg
    ST2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 78
  • ST3.jpg
    ST3.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 79
  • ST4.jpg
    ST4.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom