• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A JBL inspired by........the Realistic Mach One!?

No more RS up here... When I was 10 the battery club was just about the best thing ever. :D

I love the 'small print' - 355mm bookshelf speaker - oy!
They aren't so tiny -- almost 17" x 26", and 41 kg (90 lbs).
 
You just have to get the right RS stuff. I have some Mach ones (4042A) and your audiokarma right of passage Minimus 7s.
 
Yeah, north of the 49th, we have to put up with the Source by Circuit City. Luckily, I live just a stone's throw from Washington State, where the Shack still lives.
 
I have nothing against the RS stuff at all because they did have some really neat stuff that was affordable for a great many people in that era (including me). I always loved to go visit the local RS in my town as a friend of mine's parents owned one. But there is no way I could ever choose something of the likes of a "comparable model" pair of JBL, Altecs, Klipsch, Polk, Infinity, etc, etc, etc over a pair of Mach any revision model or anything else they had built by some other company. Again, no offense because I've owned some of the RS gear in the "good" era and my first real TT was a LAB-400 (I think it was). But, again, given that both were comparably priced (give or take $100) I'd rather have speakers that came from a company that designed, engineered AND manufactured them. But those Mach's were a great party speaker....that's for sure. Until the L100's or HPM-100's showed up.

But I sure do miss perusing the RS stores back then. Especially growing up in a smaller town at the time.
 
I don't think there'd ever be a day when I chose a Radio Shack speaker over a JBL. Ever.

Agreed. Unless I was choosing something to stoke a fire with!:D Just kidding, I would gut them and convert to econowave!:yes:

Russellc:thmbsp:
 
The "cachet" of the JBL name is more attractive to some than actual performance specs. How else can one explain the fact that someone will pay vast sums of money for a set of L300's, despite the fact that better speakers can be had for a lot less? Simple. Owning JBL's is money in the bank.

Snob appeal aside, I do prefer my L36's on some types of music, but I find my Mach II's to be more versatile. That being said, if I had $6000 to spend on a pair of L300's, I would certainly do so.
 
,
Got to agree with 70ssalesguy...........
Would that be a difference without a distinction, or a no **** sherlock, or something in between? Not to rain on anyones Rat shack parade, but really!:dunno: They're Apples and oranges, and that gives either apples or oranges a bad name to boot:D

Russellc
 
Um......unless I missed it, no one in this thread said they would prefer a Radio Shack model over an equivalent JBL.

Unless I missed it no one said anyone did, and I agree with you, unless you count a posters stated preference of his mach over L36, ( #26 ) which may be the case, its his opinion, and he is CERTAINLY entitled to it. Similarly, I just stated mine. Sorry if your feathers were ruffled. That said, It really makes no difference to me what one prefers to listen to, if they enjoy it, its job is being done.

Russellc
 
Back
Top Bottom