• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A "Karma Initiative"...'Stormy Monday'

OK I'll start working on a spot. What kind of size are we looking at?

Well, there would be 8 song-length 24-bit WAV files, so it's larger than 4 typical stereo songs on a CD would be. I'll get you a better answer soon (the audio files I'm working with are still the full length of the tape they were recorded on, I didn't yet trim them to only one song length).

je

Edit- just checked, 384MB.
 
Typically, the approach I've used (which is a little more bandwidth-friendly, but takes a little more of my time) is I do 'dub mixes'. If you want to play bass, I'd do a quick dual-mono mix with one channel having the old bass (for you to learn from if desired) and one channel having the rest of the band minus the bass. Much smaller files. You then simply upload your bass track (or tracks, if you have multiple good takes you want to take sections from).

The desire for folks to have access to all of the multi-tracks to practice mixing is fine, but takes up exponentially more disc space and upload/download time.

je
 
Last edited:
Yes that makes sence as you will be doing the final mix and mastering. I will need the bass and vocals separated out so my wife can sing as well. I don't believe there is any harmonica on it anyway so I can just add a track for it. IF I can set up a FTP server I can just store all the tracks there and you can access them remotely anytime you want. Basically would work just like an web store site. i would send you a link to it and a username and password and bang your in and can upload or download. I treid setting up the windows 7 FTP on the weekend but like anything Microsoft it didn't want to co-operate so I'll look for a free one on the Internet tonight.
 
Go ahead and put MichaelJ down as the drummer of record. My laptop just slipped into a coma and that's where my recording/editing software was so I'd be a bottleneck on this trying to get it back up.

However, I have a few gazillibytes of storage availble at my domain. I'm no webmaster, by any means, but I can probably rig up a directory with anonymous ftp for upload/download.

For the record, I use an old version of Sound Forge and usually work in wav files. I also have N-track studio that came with an outboard soundcard but I've never really played with it.
 
Yes that makes sence as you will be doing the final mix and mastering. I will need the bass and vocals separated out so my wife can sing as well. I don't believe there is any harmonica on it anyway so I can just add a track for it. IF I can set up a FTP server I can just store all the tracks there and you can access them remotely anytime you want. Basically would work just like an web store site. i would send you a link to it and a username and password and bang your in and can upload or download. I treid setting up the windows 7 FTP on the weekend but like anything Microsoft it didn't want to co-operate so I'll look for a free one on the Internet tonight.

Check out DropBox.com, they have free 2GB accounts, and you can set up per-project folders & invite others to have access to specific folders. They also have a "public" folder for sharing the progress & end-result MP3s or WAVs.

je
 
Thanks Fred, I tried accessing dropbox.com from work here and it's blocked (I'm at a highschool), so I checked out Filezilla today and downloaded their server and client files. I will try to install it when I get home and if it works you can download the client and we are in business. 2 gigs sounds like a lot but if we get going with a few more songs then it may not be enough.


I have a few gazillibytes of storage availble at my domain. I'm no webmaster, by any means, but I can probably rig up a directory with anonymous ftp for upload/download.

Thanks Ray :thmbsp: I may take you up on that if we can't get the FTP going here.
 
Thanks Fred, I tried accessing dropbox.com from work here and it's blocked (I'm at a highschool), so I checked out Filezilla today and downloaded their server and client files. I will try to install it when I get home and if it works you can download the client and we are in business. 2 gigs sounds like a lot but if we get going with a few more songs then it may not be enough.

Yeah, but we don't have to leave old files up- we can delete as we go & only keep one or two current projects in shared backup at a time.

je
 
Ok Fred, I just toook out a dropb ox with the free 2 gig. Now just have to figure out how to give you access.
 
Best thing you can do for me is take a listen to the MP3 & let me know if it's workable as a reference for you to follow & play over.

Thanks,

je

Yeah, I think it will work. I burned the track to CD and will play to it and record this weekend. I hope to have a drums only track ready by sometime late Sunday.
 
Yeah, I think it will work. I burned the track to CD and will play to it and record this weekend. I hope to have a drums only track ready by sometime late Sunday.

If you can play along with that it should be fine, but we're right now (as I type) setting up a shared site where we can exchange high-res files instead of MP3s. PM me and/or Bob Hicks with your e-mail address, we'll get you invited in.

I'm uploading 4 mono WAV files now, broken down as:

Guitar + Drums
Vocals
Horns
Bass

...and Bob + Mrs. Bob will replace bass and vocals, with maybe some blues harp for horn section. If you can reference off of the 'Guitar + drums' and maybe 'Bass' as well, that would keep you in time & tune with our guide tracks. If you want the guitar broken out from drums for your reference, let me know.

Please try to use 24/44.1 WAV as your file type to keep things as easy & good-sounding as possible (avoiding conversions).

je
 
OK, guide tracks are uploaded to DropBox, Bob Hicks & I have access to the folder so far. MichaelJ and kevzep will follow shortly, and we'll take a swing at this tune. Might be more interesting for everybody if pics are posted showing the participants in action, too.

Players will get e-mails with instructions, and we'll see where this leads...should be interesting. If you're not in on this round, don't worry- if all goes smoothly we can get a couple more tunes going in the future.

Horn players (there are trombone & sax playing on our guide recording) are still welcome to join, though we might be subbing some blues harp here & there.

Anyone looking to have a go at mixing the track (x-25, vinyldavid, etc.) should also send me a PM with an e-mail address, so once we have the tracks recorded you can access the files and put together your own mix.

je
 
Last edited:
By the way, the guide tracks I've uploaded are "prepped", to some degree. They'll have some EQing and compression applied, so simply flying them in to a new project should have them show up time-aligned and sounding decent with everything at or near the same level, there shouldn't be any surprises with peaks or other nastiness.

The horns & vocals are also gated and/or edited to silence a lot of the background noise picked up, hopefully that's not distracting.

je
 
I don't know if it's taken care of or not but Gmail can support large files I have sent and recieved whole songs through it. You could set up an account and everyone send their files to it. Everyone could also have the login and password. Its an option and it's free.
 
I don't know if it's taken care of or not but Gmail can support large files I have sent and recieved whole songs through it. You could set up an account and everyone send their files to it. Everyone could also have the login and password. Its an option and it's free.

Things are up & running with DropBox at this point. I think these files are ~45MB each, and there should be about a dozen of them total before we're done.

KevZep has recorded a great guitar track (or two), Mike's taken a pass at drums and I think has upgraded his gear & will take another swing, Bob's laying down the bass this weekend, and Tanya's recorded a take or two on vocals. We should have some results for folks to hear soon, even if it's a first pass & a quick mix. Fun stuff, this inter-continental collaboration.

je
 
Back
Top Bottom