• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A list of amps that have pre out / main in ?

What's impressive is the number of interconnects involved, and that I can remember how they all go together ... more or less.

I think it's progressed from "I have a hobby" through "I have an obsession" all the way to "I have a problem" ... <G>

Here's what the real deal looks like, give or take a couple minor changes ...

system-jan14-002.jpg


Believe it or not, they all work together, and I can't imagine music without each and every component.

And once again ... all into one tape loop! Except for the SACD, which uses the four channel loop for "classic" surround.
 
Getting connected

Okay, so I don't need the DBX. :thmbsp:

What hardware do I need, where do I get it for reasonable and (you were probably afraid I'd ask) how do I connect it ? We can use my present Pioneer SA-600 with the pre and main just as an example if you wish, but most others are similar. BTW, I'll be shopping for more wattage soon.

What am I connecting ? - Harmon Kardon tape deck, phono, Teac CD P1260 and an EQ

:-)
 
A list of amps that have pre out / main in

Okay, so I don't need the DBX. :thmbsp:

What connectors do I need, and how do I connect them ? We can use any amplifier with or without the pre and main for an example.

What am I connecting ? - tape deck, phono, CD Player and EQ

Are you guys still there ? ...... I'd like to sew this puzzle up ........ Please and Thank you
 
Okay, so I don't need the DBX. :thmbsp:

What hardware do I need, where do I get it for reasonable and (you were probably afraid I'd ask) how do I connect it ? We can use my present Pioneer SA-600 with the pre and main just as an example if you wish, but most others are similar. BTW, I'll be shopping for more wattage soon.

What am I connecting ? - Harmon Kardon tape deck, phono, Teac CD P1260 and an EQ

:-)

I'm assuming you're just asking the basics, right?

The turntable must go to phono.

The tape deck can go to tape 1, and the cd player to Aux.

The EQ can go to tape 2, and then you can engage the eq, or take it out, by engaging the Monitor switch for Tape 2.
 
Hi ..... Simple is good, but I got confused because I was lead to believe I needed a dbx200 switchbox. Apparently this isn't the case. Post number 19 says:

The dbx200 and it's kissing cousins aren't required - you can just daisy chain components and the signal gets passed and processed by each. The switch just adds some flexibility AND goes into the bonus round by replicating the original tape loop that might otherwise be lost.

Sounds like I can't daisy chain without the box. Just kind of a yes or no thing. If I'm wrong, then the next paragraph becomes applicable.

What are all the fancy gold connectors on page 1 of this discussion ? See attachment. If this daisy chain is a better way of doing it, I'd like to know what I need and how to set it up. A simple drawing would do the trick. Saves a lot of text. ....... best to you

Thanks :)
 

Attachments

  • connection.jpg
    connection.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 11
The dbx200 and it's kissing cousins aren't required - you can just daisy chain components and the signal gets passed and processed by each. The switch just adds some flexibility AND goes into the bonus round by replicating the original tape loop that might otherwise be lost. Granted, a lot of external processors already have that feature, but then there's the problem of trying to remember what's hooked to what and where ... ARGHH!! Where did I put that CD player!!! That kinda thing ...

PS ... the phono section and tuner still work as they're before the loop.

A switcher also allows you to reconfigure for different sources. Basically, you end up with multiple loops that can be enabled or bypassed. For instance, you might not want to do hardware expansion on a high resolution digital file from an HTPC ...

The additional loops also make it a whole lot easier to track down any problems. Always a good thing with a "classic" system.

One word of caution. The more complex a system becomes, the more important it becomes to have your processors in the correct sequence. Rule of thumb is tone, all else, and then range and bass enhancement last. Doesn't always work that way either, so be prepared to fiddle about until you get it right.

Speaking of complex ... here's where I'm at right now ... you can see where the dbx200 comes in handy.

Stereo-Block-Diagram-2013.jpg


Actually picked up another switcher a bit back to give me a bit more flexibility. Haven't installed it yet ...

And more on topic ... it's all run off a tape loop on the big Sui ... as you can see in the block diagram, I didn't think things were complicated enough, so I added another phono stage - driven off the external loop. <G>


This why I have 3 Teac PB-64's. Ultimate in flexibility if you remember what goes to what.
 
Hi ..... Simple is good, but I got confused because I was lead to believe I needed a dbx200 switchbox. Apparently this isn't the case. Post number 19 says:

The dbx200 and it's kissing cousins aren't required - you can just daisy chain components and the signal gets passed and processed by each. The switch just adds some flexibility AND goes into the bonus round by replicating the original tape loop that might otherwise be lost.

Sounds like I can't daisy chain without the box. Just kind of a yes or no thing. If I'm wrong, then the next paragraph becomes applicable.

What are all the fancy gold connectors on page 1 of this discussion ? See attachment. If this daisy chain is a better way of doing it, I'd like to know what I need and how to set it up. A simple drawing would do the trick. Saves a lot of text. ....... best to you

Thanks :)

You don't need a switchbox -- it's preferable to use a tape loop, and you won't lose a tape loop (if that's your concern) because you have a tape monitor switch for each tape loop. Or maybe I just don't get what you're trying to accomplish . . .
 
Back
Top Bottom