• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A shout out for projectors.

Old school here: Sharpvision xv-hu35

Been watching mine for a long time. Dedicated home theater use at night with the family, popcorn etc. I have a huge 9' screen ( Graywolf II) a proper sound system is a must and speaker placement. One part of my speaker set up are two 9" horns above my screen that makes the vocal or words spoken come out of the screen, and amp power enough to rip your spine out when needed, bring on the thunder, gun shots, explosions,etc. Bulb life for movie use not T.V. use only will last for years. :thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
"However, that leads back to the point of why more people don't have projectors...not everyone wants to have two or three different setups for different situations."

going from a tv to a projector/big screen combo may be a radical step for most folks, imo.
it's not what they're used to. it's change and many don't like change.
it breaks tradition and may require a more open mind.
for most of those who have taken the step there is no turning back.

re room layout. pull down/roll up screens can be used to almost disappear when not in use; most pjs are 'small' enough they can be hidden/stored away fairly easily, if necessary.

basically, 'where there's a will, there's a way'.
 
Been watching mine for a long time. Dedicated home theater use at night with the family, popcorn etc. I have a huge 9" screen ( Graywolf II) a proper sound system is a must and speaker placement. One part of my speaker set up are two 9" horns above my screen that makes the vocal or words spoken come out of the screen, and amp power enough to rip your spine out when needed, bring on the thunder, gun shots, explosions,etc. Bulb life for movie use not T.V. use only will last for years. :thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp:

yowzzer! :banana::banana:
 
going from a tv to a projector/big screen combo may be a radical step for most folks, imo.
it's not what they're used to. it's change and many don't like change.
it breaks tradition and may require a more open mind.
for most of those who have taken the step there is no turning back.

re room layout. pull down/roll up screens can be used to almost disappear when not in use; most pjs are 'small' enough they can be hidden/stored away fairly easily, if necessary.

basically, 'where there's a will, there's a way'.

This is basically the point of my original post...going 'projector' was a pretty radical step for me, as for years I'd wanted a plasma, and have been living with one for about 4 years. As much as I wanted it to, it just enver delivered a true cinema experience...but I thought a projector would be a big pain in the butt. The point is...it's not. It turns on and off, and switches inputs, exactly like my TV, was a breeze to set up, and takes up less room than my TV did. In short...it's easier, and less of a change, than I'd thought it would be.

I'm actually considering using it as my daily TV, as I don't watch that much anyway (I usually listen to music....). It's a logistical problem of my room. Having the screen and TV live in the same room (I'm in a loft) would involve one of them being in a really odd place.
 
Projectors are great!!!, ...and another cool use..., take it out in the back yard to project a movie on the back of you garage. Great for that outdoor, summer, theatre-by-the-pool experience.

Do some BBQ, have a drink or two, as you listen to some good tunes and when the fire-flies come out, fire up the projector and settle in for a cool evening flick.

Vintage B&W movies are superb for this kind of evening, poolside entertainment...:banana:
 
Projectors are great!!!, ...and another cool use..., take it out in the back yard to project a movie on the back of you garage. Great for that outdoor, summer, theatre-by-the-pool experience.

Do some BBQ, have a drink or two, as you listen to some good tunes and when the fire-flies come out, fire up the projector and settle in for a cool evening flick.

Vintage B&W movies are superb for this kind of evening, poolside entertainment...:banana:
haven't done this yet. but i do want to. i live in an apt. complex and i think a lot of folks would like to see an outdoor movie.
soon, i hope.
 
Have had a projector for several years now. Here's a few tips:

1. Paint you're ceiling flat black, it really helps
2. Paint the trim around the screen flat black or use black velvet tape
3. Buy you're mount on ebay $29 vs. $129
4. Make you're own screen, see avsforums.com for more details
 
Have had a projector for several years now. Here's a few tips:

1. Paint you're ceiling flat black, it really helps
2. Paint the trim around the screen flat black or use black velvet tape
3. Buy you're mount on ebay $29 vs. $129
4. Make you're own screen, see avsforums.com for more details
----------------------------------------------------------------
great points. i, for one, am very aware of them.

as i live in an apt and have c.o.p.d. even painting is not really an option.
putting it on and then restoring to original if and when i ever move out i couldn't do and i can't afford to hire 'pro' painters.

my pj sits on a shelf, right side up, works well for me.

my screen is DIY, $6. it's temporary 'til i get a 2.35:1 screen for CIH.
(altho my cih setup will be MUCH less expensive than this example).
 
Been using projectors for close to eight years. As our regular TV! Started with SD, then a Panny HD that lasted a couple years before the blue LED got serious problems. Cheaper to replace than repair. A recommendation to all: Zoom all SD programming on a widescreen projector. Burn-in is a reality, and you will get permanent lines.

Now using a Panny AX100. It has documented problems with the iris. So far it's been noisy at times, but it hasn't given up.

As to why more people don't succumb to the projector lure. Dedicated mounts are expensive unless you want to do alot of DIY. Priced a screen lately? My 60x80 Draper Cineperm was a bargain back in 2001. Bulbs. Nobody ever seems to want to talk about them. 300 bucks minimum. Recommended after 2000 hours or so. I've got close to 4000 on mine right now, but the picture is noticably dimmer. This after only 16 months (don't ask). They do last longer if you almost never shut them off. Also maintenance. Gotta vacuum that filter every month. For me it means pulling down the projector and putting it back up. I won't even go into dust motes on-screen. Finally they are not totally quiet --- ever. Unless you put them in ventilated box the fan makes noise. Right above my head. The only compensation is to turn the sound up. Great except when all I want to do is play a DVD-Audio or SACD that requires on-screen menu option decisions. Then the fan noise really, really, REALLY, gets in the way.

I totally agree about shadow-boxing the screen. Best thing I ever did. Eight feet out on all sides and ceiling w/ dollar a yard flat black fabric from WM. Stapled it to the walls.

I think it really boils down to convenience. Most people just aren't willing to put up with the maintenance/operation/ancillary expense issues. Those of us who can are rewarded with an extraordinary home theater/media room experience.
 
Last edited:
the bulb is the only thing i worry about but not very much. after 5 years (7/8/04) i've only got ~810 hours on pj/bulb. images still look as good as new.

but that's cuz i do all my tv watching on a tv and save the pj/screen for movies and concerts. spring of '06 i went for almost 4 months without using pj.
mostly cuz of other interests.

edit-yeah, convenience, or the lack of, can be a factor.
 
I agree, the projector is the way to go. I got a 780p Mitsubishi HC 1500, that I purchased on a close out. I use it to project a picture that is approximately 7 feet x 11 feet in my basement. When I first bought the projector. I was originally planning to build a screen. But I was absolutely stunned, at how great it looked projected on to just a white painted cinder block wall, that the screen project got put on hold.

I also have a 50" 1080p Samsung LED DLP. If I had to start over, and buy just one of them. It would defiantly be the projector.
 
I agree, the projector is the way to go. I got a 780p Mitsubishi HC 1500, that I purchased on a close out. I use it to project a picture that is approximately 7 feet x 11 feet in my basement. When I first bought the projector. I was originally planning to build a screen. But I was absolutely stunned, at how great it looked projected on to just a white painted cinder block wall, that the screen project got put on hold.

I also have a 50" 1080p Samsung LED DLP. If I had to start over, and buy just one of them. It would defiantly be the projector.

:thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp:
 
Some of you guys may laugh when you see this, but here are the theater pics. Keep in mind that the picture, is floor to ceiling, and were taken off just my cable box. (Also notice the electrical junction box, conveniently placed in the top right corner of the screen) . It's not what I would call fancy, but it gets the job done. It's the perfect room to watch a Football game in.

I use it for 80% sports, 15% movies, 5% network TV. Even with its problems, (Cinder block wall, and electrical junction box). The picture still looks pretty darn good, practically amazing. Because of its size, you get to see much more detail that is difficult to grasp off a smaller TV. One of these days I'll get around to building a screen for it. Also if you go with a 780p projector. The cost is significantly less than a comparable 50" plus tv, and in my opinion the projector is more enjoyably.

What happened to me, is I first bought a 50" 1080p samsung. After all the research I did, I was confident that I made the right decision. I then visited one of my friends, who just bought a new 780p projector, and my perception was tuned upside down. We watched the super bowl on it, and I was instantly blown away. I then knew that I made the wrong decision. I was so impressed, that I bought my own projector about a 15 months later.
 
Last edited:
I'm new at this and I'm just starting to shop for a projector. There's LCD, there's DLP, there's CRT. I'm aware of what the letters stand for but what the hell do they mean to a person trying to decide what to buy?:wtf:
 
I'm new at this and I'm just starting to shop for a projector. There's LCD, there's DLP, there's CRT. I'm aware of what the letters stand for but what the hell do they mean to a person trying to decide what to buy?:wtf:

start reading here and here... and keep going for a long time. really. there's a lot to know.
but it's worth it.:banana:
 
Last edited:
I'll chime in on the pro-projector team. Given the proper conditions( mine is in the light controlled basement) you cannot go wrong. I painted my wall for a 102" screen size the paint colour was called "silversreen" I just can't convince myself that spending a G-note on a tab-tensioned screen is going to give me a better picture. Next.... Klipsch heritage surround system!
 
I just went from the wall to a retractable screen, more for aesthetic reasons than anything else. It hangs from my loft space, so I have my wall back...looked odd having a big white wall, and I live in one big space so there was no hiding it. And its cool having a screen that just pulls down into the middle of the room!

It's a tradeoff...the screen is a bit smaller (but still big), but brighter and clearer than the wall was. And the wall was great. I miss the GIANT size a bit, but there is more definition on this with the slighter smaller image. And it's really nice retracting it and not having any TV in the room.
 
Back
Top Bottom