• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A tuner, in this day and age?

Hold on there, Snarky! (just messing with you) I don't dispute the value of FM radio and its variety of programming, but at least where I live, all of the FM stations I can get over the air have a live stream on the 'net as well. Heck - sometimes I even hear myself on the radio, so believe me when I say I don't undervalue it. My question is this - if all of the content available over the air is also available over the 'net (actually much greater FM-based content over the 'net), is there a legitimate advantage to buying a tuner and receiving it over the air?

Have you done a comparison of the sound of your local station(s) on FM vs the stream?
 
I do not own an i-phone, a smart phone, or a cell phone and don't intend to any time soon. However, I have several tuners -- recently bought two more. One I'll keep, the other I already have a buyer for. Tuners are cool.
 
Around here there are quite a few decent stations, perhaps of which four broadcast not only excellent content but a high quality signal. Having a good tuner is a necessity for me.... make the at least four or five. I think I need one more. Really.
 
I listen to both AM and FM stations, my radios get decent use. Mostly because they have local content and unless you tell someone or your radio is too loud, it's hard to track who's listening...
 
"...So if the Original Poster already has HIS smartphone hooked to his gear,
why do the other posters feel the need to tell us they don't have no blinka blanka smart-phone
and won't never have one either, y'hear?

So they are luddites and not part of the conversation anyway ...!!
Why do the rest of us even need to know that? "


Well, I do have a smartphone, and (obviously, since I'm writing this) internet conectivity, but I still use an analog FM tuner. I simply haven't felt the need, or had much desire to link any of that with my home audio systems.

If that makes me a "Luddite, and not part of this conversation anyway", than so be it.
 
Last edited:
I listen to both AM and FM stations, my radios get decent use. Mostly because they have local content and unless you tell someone or your radio is too loud, it's hard to track who's listening...

That problem can be solved on a phone, too. You just need to wrap it in tinfoil.:D
 
A good FM reception is incomparable.

Apart from that some of us just love tuners, we like to interchange them.

I think I have about 7 or 8. :D

I doubt I would pass a Yammie if the price and the are right.
 
I own any number of means of access to streaming audio, but I enjoy the radio most of all, DJ's to me are a form of entertainment, if you're lucky enough that is, to have a station that has DJ's in charge of their own music. I'd say 70% or my listening is to FM broadcasts, be it reggae on saturday mornings or swing years on Saturday evening or electronic productions in the late nights.
 
i don't own a smartphone. never have. don't want one...

Same here. I think smartphone are basically underpowered computers with a really tiny screen and an absolute crap of a keyboard. I have to sit there and do all these finger gestures on the little screen to zoom, flip page, scroll... as if I'm playing with a lady friend's pleasure parts.



Anyway, tuners are great if you actually listen to radio and are in an area with decent radio stations.
 
I don't own or use a tuna but I do not question those who do.

And; I love how female "lady parts" somehow crept in this.discussion.

:)

Btw if I didn't have a smart phone I couldn't be on AK ever.


;)


Matt
 
If you find enjoyment in using all kinds of formats yes. If keeping things simple is your focus (and new tech is king) I wouldn't own a tuner......or anything else that is part of audios breadth and past. Nothing wrong with that but settling in within just one camp would be horrible for me. Both create the whole and always will.
 
I've had the same tuner (Accuphase T-101) since before the internet existed. With a good signal it produces a better sound than anything I've found over the internet. Fortunately I live in an area with one of the best "real" jazz stations in the country and a couple of other college stations that play music other than top 40 or some other commercial format.
 
speaking of lady parts, ya can't stream Dar's Sunday Blues live, only older shows online WKPX 88.5 ,Piper High - Ft Lauderdale - where they guarantee more dead air than any other station.

Most streaming radio sounds crappy, but I have found a few stations pshing out 320bps that are very very good thru my DAC. But, not as good as my MD FT101, Audio Dynamics T200 or Citation 23 when A/B switched.
 
just got a yamaha ct-600 in a trade, amazing quality sound on local PBS station, playing jazz most of the day.
Had to replace one lamp in the meters, and tap on the SQ meter to get it to move.
 
I love tuners. They are your best friend sometimes.

I have several tuners. But I like the sound of my TU-580RD a lot.

denon%20tu-580rd%205.jpg
 
Last edited:

Sherwood S3000 V 1 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

just got a yamaha ct-600 in a trade, amazing quality sound on local PBS station, playing jazz most of the day.
Had to replace one lamp in the meters, and tap on the SQ meter to get it to move.

Just don't look inside it... you're guaranteed to be disappointed (although, in fairness, the CT-600 probably is a little less egregious use of cabinet volume than the next model line CT-610II).

EDIT: The aforementioned CT-610II.


CT610II by mhardy6647, on Flickr

In fairness, it sounds pretty good for a solid state, massmarket, low end tuner. Glad I never bought one new, though!
 
Last edited:
Quality aside, I just love the lightshow and the tuning ritual. Same way I like to put on a record sometimes, even though it would be easier to stream the same album, or play the CD.
 
Yesterday at GW I saw a Yamaha tuner (don't know what model). I had it in my hand and was halfway to the check-out when I thought, "What am I doing? I already have my old smart phone hooked up to my system, and through my home WiFi I can stream just about any radio station in the world. Why would I possibly need a tuner?"

I know there are folks here who love their tuners. Why?:scratch2:

I love the look, sound, and feel of a good tuner, but considering the state of most programming these days I ask myself the same question.

that some may actually still enjoy FM - inconceivable as that may seem.

I don't mean to sound snarky, but the question is based on a premise that is not only short sighted but poorly thought out, in my view.

I think you totally meant to sound snarky as it's obvious that you were somehow offended by the OP's question. Why? He asked it openly, honestly and without judgement of those who use tuners. Why the bad attitude? And why the need to insult the guy with the 'short sighted' and 'poorly thought out' comments? Yet again, all audio no attitude goes to hell around here.....:no:

......
why do the other posters feel the need to tell us they don't have no blinka blanka smart-phone and won't never have one either, y'hear?

Good question. No value added...

I don't own or use a tuna but I do not question those who do.

It's reasonable to ask a question around here without people feeling like their personal empires are being attacked. Sometimes a question is exactly as it appears. Simply a question.
 
Back
Top Bottom