• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A tuner, in this day and age?

A well built tuner of the type before everything went to chinese manufacture and weighs less than 2kg, is a beautiful thing to handle and use.
You may live a block from Pizza Hut, but that isn't a good reason to NOT buy a stove and a some good pots & knives. (Well for some people it possibly is a reason but that is a riddle within a mystery within an enigma)
 
I often have FM on in the background while I am potting about at home.

I also have an old valve radio I fixed, and it sits in the garage. I sometimes listen to AM on it when working out there, and it is used each summer when the Cricket is on. :)

I have yet to go streaming. I will, but at the moment we are waiting for the new room extension where I will have room to set up my systems properly, and have the network ports installed.

Talking of network ports... there are only myself and Riverina (my wife) at home now, and the house is cabled with Cat6 and we have a 24 port switch. There are only 5 spare ports! I didn't think we had that much **** connected up.

I have a smart phone, but there are times I question how smart it really is... I also ask that question of myself. It isn't uncommon to not like the answers.
 
Tuners can come in handy, since there are still some radio stations out there which are worth listening to. Also, some tuners are a bit more worthy than others:

r390a_setup.jpg


(Well, technically, it's a receiver, but it can be made to work as a very nice tuner with minor modifications...) :D
 
I have a yamaha tx-950 that I use with a Magnavox 8301 tube amp that I love. Breakfast with the Beatles and acoustic storm are a few of the shows I like to listen to on my favorite FM station. Also a Panasonic RE-787 that I enjoy listening to while I work at my bench. I have many others but they dont get as much use. The only time I really stream anything is when Im working on the car outside.
 
I have a smart phone and wifi - yet I still have a tuner on both systems ...
Got a Carver TX-10 on the integrated Jolida tube amp, and the Integra Pre/Pro has a built in tuner with AM, FM and HD-radio even.
There is something to be said for radio - FM or AM ...


... let the airwaves ... flow ...
 
No , the CT-610 is down the line, this tuner is 16 lbs. of yamaha goodness.
be on the lookout for a CT-800, or 1010
 

Attachments

  • Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    10.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
No , the CT-610 is down the line, this tuner is 16 lbs. of yamaha goodness.
be on the lookout for a CT-800, or 1010

CA-600 and CT-600 were replaced by the CA-610II and CT-610II. Next to bottom of the line in the US for their series, in both model years. I don't doubt that the CT-600 is beefier, though... the CA-600 was beefier than the CA-610II, too! But they're equivalent from the standpoint of their places in their respective model lines.

The CT-800 and the CT-1010 were pretty nice tuners, indeed... I've got one of each of those, too ;-) All of these are available cheap nowadays (minimal demand against, e.g., Kenwood KT-7500 or Pioneer TX-9500) and all worth having to listen to if one has room for their (exterior) bulk.
 
I think you totally meant to sound snarky as it's obvious that you were somehow offended by the OP's question. Why? He asked it openly, honestly and without judgement of those who use tuners. Why the bad attitude? And why the need to insult the guy with the 'short sighted' and 'poorly thought out' comments? Yet again, all audio no attitude goes to hell around here.....:no:

With all due respect, I didn't interpret it that way. It would be tantamount to going on the classic Corvette forum and asking, "In this day & age, why do people drive '63 Corvettes?" Not to mention, there's an entire subforum solely devoted to tuners. Duh.

With a modicum of Googling, the OP could have answered his own question and frankly, the query had a slight whiff of trolling.

A thousand apologies if my suspicions were misplaced.
 
Last edited:
Hold on there, Snarky! (just messing with you) I don't dispute the value of FM radio and its variety of programming, but at least where I live, all of the FM stations I can get over the air have a live stream on the 'net as well. Heck - sometimes I even hear myself on the radio, so believe me when I say I don't undervalue it. My question is this - if all of the content available over the air is also available over the 'net (actually much greater FM-based content over the 'net), is there a legitimate advantage to buying a tuner and receiving it over the air?

Yes. While there are a considerable number of high quality streams that rival/equal/surpass the SQ of a solid FM signal--I venture to say that this is not the case with most terrestrial stations' simulcasts. Typically they'll feed you a 48-64kb mirror of what comes off their tower.

On the other hand, a clean OTA signal pumped through a decent tuner can be much more pleasing to the ear.
 
Last edited:
I have 14 tuners in the house. I listen to FM all of the time for background music. If not FM, I'm listening to vinyl. For one thing, FM is free. It doesn't require any monthly bill. I just think it's something special to listen to a signal that goes thru the air. I also watch some TV using my antenna......

Yep, I'm with you big boy! There is, and always has been, something about the aether and receiving something from afar without connection. I love this idea so much that I include it in my physics instruction even though it is not in the curriculum and not relevant to many teens lives. They think the whole idea is cool though.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjames View Post
......
why do the other posters feel the need to tell us they don't have no blinka blanka smart-phone and won't never have one either, y'hear?

Good question. No value added...

the OP implied, as i interpreted it, that those of us who own tuners might just as well use our smart phones instead as he does. we who choose to avoid smart phones are not in a position to do that. if i am correct in the OP's assertion, statements by those of us without smart phones are germane to the conversation...
 
Last edited:
If you agreed with my sentiment why would you originally qoute me seeming as if I was attacking the OP's position?

Confused but not concerned.


Matt
 
Run up and down the dial on a vintage Marantz receiver. It's an experience you aren't going to get by clicking on some streaming online radio station. :thmbsp:
 
Run up and down the dial on a vintage Marantz receiver. It's an experience you aren't going to get by clicking on some streaming online radio station. :thmbsp:

That's true. Too bad there's nothing there worth stopping in to listen to. How many times can a person listen to sweet home Alabama and the stairway to heaven before it's time to hunt down something else?
 
I have 2 receivers which obviously have tuners in them and I use them once a week. I also have 2 smart phones that I like. That's all I'm gonna say.
 
Run up and down the dial on a vintage Marantz receiver. It's an experience you aren't going to get by clicking on some streaming online radio station. :thmbsp:

And I just ordered a light kit for my Marantz 2240. Should have saved the money and cut the tuner string.
 
Back
Top Bottom