• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A Turntable Reborn Turns Its Back on Its Hip-Hop Legacy

Register to hide this ad
There a lot more Hi-Fi enthusiasts embracing the SL1200 than the DJ's that trashed them. The fact that they held up under that abuse is a testament to their durability. They have a large Hi-Fi following of which I am not one, but I would love too spend some time with the latest generation! The arm is supposed to be really improved as well as other aspects. Best of luck to them in their new audio endeavors!
Regards,
Jim
 
Even if Technics decides to blow off their dedicated DJ fanbase in favor of new folks with deeper pockets, their reputation will always be more admirable with the DJs in my opinion. How often is a tool used in such an unique way to facilitate the beginnings of a (musical) revolution?
 
I'm a Technics devotee, but am I the only one that thinks this thing is a joke? Considering what can be done with an original, including changing the arm. I find it hard to believe that an older 1200 MKXXX With an SME or Jelco arm,at much less than half the price, would be a worse table than a new 1200. Not to mention the other turntables you could get for $4000. Just seems like a lot is riding on the name and not much else.
 
Where else can I get a top quality new direct drive table for $4000? Isn't this the only game in town for that market?
 
Denon might still use direct drive. I owned a model #1100 or # 1000 decades ago. My previous table was an ARXA which was belt driven. Damned if I could tell the difference.
 
Hip Hop made it Famous. Audiophiles had already made it Popular. I remember them before the days of Hip Hop it was a nice table, but audiophiles wanted the SP-10. Wannabe's like me had to eat a little lower on the hog.
Sturgus
 
Denon might still use direct drive. I owned a model #1100 or # 1000 decades ago. My previous table was an ARXA which was belt driven. Damned if I could tell the difference.

I have a Technics SL 1800 MKll as well as an AR XB. The Technics is a much more user-friendly design than the AR, but I like the sound of the AR much better.
 
It should be noted, however, that for DJs who couldn't afford SL-1200s they would settle for other models of Technics, mainly the SL-23 or SL-220. I have watched the Netflix documentary mentioned in the article above (Hip Hop Evolution) and saw a couple other Technics in pictures/footage used to mix the breaks of songs. And in the Netflix series The Get Down (which is about the birth of hip hop), the SL-23 is mentioned as a favorite of Grandmaster Flash.

Really, any turntable can be manipulated to be used by a DJ. The SL-1200 just did it the best due to the high torque motor in it.
 
Its made the selling price of my 1210 go through the roof. I see mint units selling for over $700 now. I bought mine just as they were getting ready to call off the 1200 line ... it was a crazy low price, so I jumped in. I thought about letting it go, as I have now switched over to the English designed, belt drive turntables. I finally figured it was too near and dear to my heart to let go; unless Technics decides to release an SL-1500 MK II copy. I put it back in the box for now. I even have all the original packing material - maybe I will pull it out in 10-15 years and see if it's still as sought after.
 
Another example of fake news stories from the NY Times! The SL-1200 was famous with DJs and consumers well before the advent of hip hop/rap/scratching being the world wide standard in clubs/discos since the early 1970s. Technics pretty much owned the professional turntable market being widely used in broadcast and recording studios with their SP (Special Products) line of turntables, SP-10/15/25, that were also sold to consumers.
 
Another example of fake news stories from the NY Times! The SL-1200 was famous with DJs and consumers well before the advent of hip hop/rap/scratching being the world wide standard in clubs/discos since the early 1970s. Technics pretty much owned the professional turntable market being widely used in broadcast and recording studios with their SP (Special Products) line of turntables, SP-10/15/25, that were also sold to consumers.
What are you talking about? Did you read the article?
 
Fake news? That is a ridiculous claim. What does the NYT have to gain from a story on turntables...? There is no reason why they would make this up.

Technics quit production long after the general public dug vinyl's grave. Consumers surely weren't the ones keeping it alive, and neither were radio DJs who ditched vinyl either. To deny the importance of hip hop/rap on vinyl (and the SL-1200) is to ignore history.
 
Another example of fake news stories from the NY Times! The SL-1200 was famous with DJs and consumers well before the advent of hip hop/rap/scratching being the world wide standard in clubs/discos since the early 1970s. Technics pretty much owned the professional turntable market being widely used in broadcast and recording studios with their SP (Special Products) line of turntables, SP-10/15/25, that were also sold to consumers.
You have a "kill the messenger" mentality.
 
Another example of fake news stories from the NY Times! The SL-1200 was famous with DJs and consumers well before the advent of hip hop/rap/scratching being the world wide standard in clubs/discos since the early 1970s. Technics pretty much owned the professional turntable market being widely used in broadcast and recording studios with their SP (Special Products) line of turntables, SP-10/15/25, that were also sold to consumers.

I just saw a Stanton cartridge ad in a 1976 High Fidelity magazine. It is a photo of a DJ in a night-club with 2 turntables at the console. Both are Thorens TD 124's. Not sure if it was product placement, but it seems as though there may have been other turntables in use at night-clubs other than the 1200...:dunno:
 
I just saw a Stanton cartridge ad in a 1976 High Fidelity magazine. It is a photo of a DJ in a night-club with 2 turntables at the console. Both are Thorens TD 124's. Not sure if it was product placement, but it seems as though there may have been other turntables in use at night-clubs other than the 1200...:dunno:
Why does this surprise you? This is as surprising as all brides not being virgins.
 
Back
Top Bottom