• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A Turntable Reborn Turns Its Back on Its Hip-Hop Legacy

Your naivete that T/Ts other than Technics were used in clubs prior to 1976.

In the 70's I was a Black Sabbath, ZZ Top listening, Army jacket wearing, nickle bag totin, long-haired street rat...
.....why would I know about which turntables were used in Discos ???????

Your knowledge of that era sounds impressive. Did you spend much time dancing the nights away?

john travolta.jpg
 
Last edited:
I just saw a Stanton cartridge ad in a 1976 High Fidelity magazine. It is a photo of a DJ in a night-club with 2 turntables at the console. Both are Thorens TD 124's. Not sure if it was product placement, but it seems as though there may have been other turntables in use at night-clubs other than the 1200...:dunno:
I'm not surprised at all. That's why I stated earlier that to deny hip hop/rap's legacy on the SL-1200 is to deny history. The SL-1200 would never have been as important without turntalbism. It just wasn't as important to radio DJs and consumers as some would have you believe.
 
Regarding the price, I'm sure the new and improved 1200 is worth it but Technics should offer a not so polished, lower cost version for the working man.

It would be nice, but as the article implies, the 1200G is possibly a loss leader.

The other problem that Panasonic faces is that they were victims of their own successes. Unless really badly abused, most vintage Technics tables still work just fine, especially the 1200s. Why buy a new one?
 
the SL-23 is mentioned as a favorite of Grandmaster Flash.

I'm kind of surprised, but I guess not that surprised. I have an SL-23, and it's got more torque than some of my direct drive tables. It certainly starts up faster than any of the consumer-grade Technics DD tables.
 
Denon might still use direct drive. I owned a model #1100 or # 1000 decades ago. My previous table was an ARXA which was belt driven. Damned if I could tell the difference.

Real Denon turntables are no longer manufactured, and haven't been since sometime in the 1990's. Today's Denons are Hanpins prettied up.
 
I have had one of the new Technics 1200G's for a few weeks now. I have a Hana SL mc on it. It replaced a Rega RP6 with an Exact II cartridge. I don't know if it is the table, the new cartridge or a combo of the two, but I can say it is (to my ears) a definite improvement: much quieter, better speed stability, better sound stage, more detail, a little more low end weight. The table seems to be extremely well made. Of note, they decided to include the magnesium tone arm from the limited edition model on the regular model. Now, I have no experience with other TT's in this price range. Before pulling the trigger, I had narrowed the choices down to the Technics and the VPI Prime. Since I live in an audio desert, there was no way for me to audition them. I got an extremely generous trade in for the Rega (more than I could have sold it for) and went with the Technics. I have no way of knowing if I would have liked the VPI more, but I can say I am extremely happy with the Technics.
 
If the New York Times story hadn't been referenced here I doubt that more than a dozen out of tens of thousands AK members would of read it. NYT stories written by no nothings.
 
Someone's apparently been listening to the nonsense spouted by a well-known public figure.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect

... NYT stories written by no nothings.

When I moved to NYC, a native told me that if I read the NYT every day it was considered the equivalent to having a 4-year degree. Then there are the papers with small pages and large print; there's a handy TV network and several radio hosts who read those articles to them and filter out any indigestibles. Personally I like chewing my own food, but if pre-chewed works for you, baby bird, have at it with my blessings.

Which is not to say that the article had any merit to someone knowledgeable beyond general interest. Or that it necessarily rose above being a publicity piece with a contrived angle to make it a story.
 
The NYT does a very good job at writing articles about culture, especially when it relates to New York City. Even the most basic knowledge of the beginnings of hip hop and rap would have you know that it started in NYC. Seems pretty simple why the NYT would write an article about it.

I think it's pretty clear that majick doesn't like acknowledging the importance of turntablism (which came to prominence through hip hop and rap) on the SL-1200. Thus he criticizes not only the article, but the entire newspaper.

If you were to seek out new records pressed (not reissues) in the late 90s/early 00s, you would most likely find albums in the genres of hip hop, rap, dance, house, etc.. Rock and pop labels had abandoned vinyl, just like most consumers. IMO Technics does owe thanks to turntablism for helping to keep the SL-1200 in production. In the past, they had.
 
Back
Top Bottom