• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Abalone Aventures or 24 Hours of onepixel

Yesterday I got up at 1:30 am after going to bed two hours earlier. Met my brother and drove 4 hours one-way towards the tiny fishing town of Point Arena up along the rugged and relatively remote Mendocino Coast. Most pull-outs along coastal Highway 1 were packed and when we got to the parking lot it was packed too, with more people showing up. Once we arrived we still had a 40 minute hike in, over cliffs and had to wade, stumble through 200+ yards of 2-4+ feet of heavy, dense and slippery kelp with gear (think real soft and deep powder snow). We were in around 6:45 am, we were there to meet the low tide (-2.1) at 7:14 am for some abalone diving.

We found a great spot last month and was expecting to get some really big "abs." Unfortunately the waves were up and breaking on the exact "spot"... I could've gone surfing, so much for surf forecasting. The surf had churned up the water and reduced visibility. It also didn't dawn to my half-a-sleep brain that it hadn't "dawned" yet over the coastal mountains and we were still in the twilight zone.

It was rough going. When you're in the water the kelp is thickly swirling around you and visibility can at times be only be a couple of feet to none. You're constantly trying to get the stuff out of your face. We hastily got our limits without being to picky over size and got out of there. By then a cold wind had kicked up, it was almost warmer in the water. The trip back to the car was painfully slow and was epic. It's harsher conditions like these that attributed to 5 deaths in two weeks last year and a couple so far this year. Heart attack, falling of cliffs, drowning, and rare visits from Jaws will do you in. We miraculously made it back to the car unscathed.

After tagging the abs as required by the new regulations, we cleaned up, changed and went looking for some hot breakfast. The small restaurant by the pier had closed so we settled for some hot chocolate and coffee at a tiny general store. In town, the movie marque had Ironman proudly displayed. Yet we couldn't find one damn place that served breakfast. So we drove the twisty, 20 miles down to Gualala. We skipped the one place we had eaten before (mediocre) and found the other places were closed. @$#%!! This area is sleepy and only wakes up for the weekend tourist crowd. We kept driving. Along the coast there are some scattered Inns and BBs. We pulled into the Timber Cove Inn/Restaurant, 30 minutes later. A place I had past a number of times over the last 25 years but never actually gone into. It's one of those romantic get-away spots set on a bluff overlooking a very dramatic Pacific Ocean. The inside was an impressive lodge style with large timber frames, a great fireplace and large inviting leather sofas. Breakfast came out over cooked but filled our stomachs. The men's room, WTF... the biggest **** hole I have ever seen in my life. I've seen stairwells in public garages, nicer than this.

Any ways we still had 3 hours of sleepy driving ahead. We stopped in San Francisco for a restroom break and a bite at KFC. Yeah... all the great places in the city and we stop at the Colonel's. After ordering we find out they have no @#$&ing! restroom. Then looking out the window while eating I see a cop eating sunflower seeds and spitting the shells out on the street. I wanted to go out and give him **** about littering, but thought the better of it since there were 3 of them and I still had to pee.

We made it to my house a hour later and rushed the bathrooms. Ahh.... .... ....

After icing the abs and cleaning the gear I had to take my daughter to a leadership awards banquet. I let her drive on her two-day old drivers license. She is late and halfway there she realizes she forgot something. We nearly get into an accident going back home. I fear her driving more than sharks, falling of cliffs, drowning or getting my ass kicked by a bunch of cops. I came home afterwards and spent a hour cleaning the abalone. The I find what looked like some packaged vinyl from Meggy(?) the return address was ripped off. I excitedly open it up and find two rare albums, one from Grace Slick another from Donna Summer that I have never heard of, very cool... woohoo! I put them aside for later and took a hour coma break. Then... I went to the climbing gym to work out and more specifically to sit in the sauna. Met some friends I haven't seen in ages and then there was leggy Linda in her tiny outfit... that's another story. Came home from the gym around 11:30 pm, made some abalone in a ginger/red pepper/soy sauce for my wife who was working late and proceeded to crash a little after midnight.

It was a long, but good day.

:)

Get out and explore!
 
Register to hide this ad
:thmbsp:Way better than the "reality" shows on TV! I'll be tuned in next week.

Ray
 
I'm tired just reading about that adventure.

Inquiring minds want to know more about "Leggy Linda".:naughty:
 
:lmao::lmao: Crazy Carl!! Well Done (the tail, not what you almost did in a pail):D

Do tell about the Donna Summers LP! I'm seeing my old boss tonight, who... let's just say has a very scarey fetish for Ms. Summers for a gay man:D:scratch2: He also claims to have every recording of hers on the planet.

Craig
 
Hi Carl,
I was wondering what you have been up to the last couple of week's,as I had not heard nor seen you post
for awhile,Glad to see you've been out & about!
(Dont forget about my "Ab Cheviche" suggestion
from when you went out last trip)
 
Great day-in-the-life story, Carl. :thmbsp:

Really enjoyed it. Well written.

Mark (aka Snade)
 
:thmbsp:Way better than the "reality" shows on TV! I'll be tuned in next week.

Ray

Next week I'll be going for two of the four days of my daughter's volleyball tournament finals in Sacramento, the state capitol. Literally thousands of young girls and women from all over the west and Hawaii. Non-stop action and hi-pitched screaming. Last year my daughter met Gene Simmons and his daughter at the tournament and at the hotel met the "Harajuku Girls" and dancers for Gwen Stefani who was on tour.

I'm tired just reading about that adventure.

Inquiring minds want to know more about "Leggy Linda".:naughty:

Well... she is a better than me, boulderer (type of climbing, V5s) and an attractive young brunette about 5' 9" tall. She is very feminine, yet has a powerful upper body physique. Watching her back muscles ripple while climbing is downright sensual. Last night she had a tiny and tight sports top on that exposed her mid section. Which is very curvy and oh so... did I mention she is very nice person and an excellent climber?

:D
 
Sluggo... thanks for the reminder, I will try that later today!

Snade... glad you like my little adventure.

Stuwee... It's an album I have never seen or heard of, but then again I'm not a big fan of Donna Summer. I'll check.
 
Cool story Carl. I'll have visions of Leggy Linda climbing up the side of my house and into my window all night:drool::)
 
Great story, thank you.

I just read this morning that someone died diving for abs yesterday, I think right where you were.
My favorite place in the world is a little sea side town called Shelter Cove, has an absolutely gorgeous black sand beach and very rugged coast. If I could just figure out what to do for a living there, I would love to live there.

Jim
 
...Do tell about the Donna Summers LP! I'm seeing my old boss tonight, who... let's just say has a very scarey fetish for Ms. Summers for a gay man:D:scratch2: He also claims to have every recording of hers on the planet.

Craig

Craig,
The Donna Summer album is I Remember Yesterday (Casablanca 1977).

This thing sounds pre-disco. I was at first a bit apprehensive, but I like it, has kind of a Diana Ross/Motown thing going.

Thanks meggy!
 
OK, I'm a Dumas. Do you boil/steam these abalone? You know, like steamed clams? It would seem like one would be enough for two of you for dinner from the size!

Holst, your's probably don't have the same...how would you say it? Essence :D
 
OK, I'm a Dumas. Do you boil/steam these abalone? You know, like steamed clams? It would seem like one would be enough for two of you for dinner from the size!

Holst, your's probably don't have the same...how would you say it? Essence :D

Cleaned abalone is essentially about two pounds of solid dense meat. If you over cook, which is real easy to do, it get's tougher than boot leather. The stuff cooks real fast. Abalone meat is real rich and it's hard to eat a lot of. I can usually feed 5-7 on a good sized one.

Hawaiian sushi style - sliced paper thin, soy sauce, red pepper, and ginger. Eaten raw.

Carl's psuedo-French style - thinnly sliced, butter and garlic, soy sauce, black pepper. Flash pan fry (45 secs.) shot of white wine.

Italiano - cut quarter inch thick, pounded, egg and batter with Italian bread crumbs and skillet fry on high heat in butter. About 35 seconds each side.

I tried making chowder once. The stock turned out great but my jaws got tired chewing.
 
Like I said last shellfish season; I think I'll stick with scalloping instead. Nice story, thanks for the insight.
 
Carl's psuedo-French style - thinnly sliced, butter and garlic, soy sauce, black pepper. Flash pan fry (45 secs.) shot of white wine.

Man, that sounds good.:drool: One of these days I will make it out there to go diving with you.

Ray
 
Man, that sounds good.:drool: One of these days I will make it out there to go diving with you.

Ray

That's most of my friend's favorite method. With a little crusty bread to soak up the sauce and a real cold one to wash it down. I wish I could have you all over.

Let me know when your ready Ray.

:)
 
Back
Top Bottom